All reviewsbeach housefamily stylebottle housedive instructormeals serveddive shoprain barrellittle cornplace to staycasa grandecommunal tabledive coursefrom spainunique experiencebring a flashlightbeautiful junglebare feet
Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

Stayed at Derek's with a friend. As two solo female travelers, I wouldn't return. It is isolated in the north of the island. We like to meet locals, and this place is far from the main village. The jungle trail is unlit, unmarked and confusing. About a 25 min walk to restaurants, bars etc. it was somewhat intimidating at night after dinner as females to walk it. I think if you come here as a couple with the intent to scuba dive and relax with only the few others at the resort (there were 4 other people there), this would be fine. Danny, the dive instructor from Argentina, was very friendly. This piece of LCI has very little beach area. It is rocky directly off the huts.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

Long over-due review, but wanted to be sure to post here. We visited last year to Little Corn Island. We pre-paid one night, but upon arrival, the owner acted as though we were a complete inconvenience. After a brief conversation about switching to a smaller room--the owner Anna lost it.

Although we mentioned that we would have no problem paying for the first night, we weren't comfortable staying there and would find other accommodations----she physically assaulted me, screaming that I would have to pay for both nights and trying to physically steal my passport and money to charge me for the booked-but-unused night.

It sounds unreal, but the bleeding cuts on my arms were real.

Stay away. We ended up spending the better part of the day filing a Nicaraguan police report.

Terrifying. Awful. Never stay here.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank VanessaF1485
DerekofDereksPlace, Owner at Derek's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Well, to be blunt, this is a crap, fake review that I have asked tripadvisor to remove. This did not happen and I hope Karma comes around to bite in the backside whoever wrote it to smear us.
Otherwise I hope everyone out there reading this has a wonderful vacation wherever they choose to stay. We also have diving on site so you can wake up, have coffee and go right to the reef.
Take care and good luck.
Derek

Reviewed 11 July 2016

Derek's place is an awesome place to escape and enjoy a tropical paradise. It is a bit of a walk from where the boat drops you off and away from everything but if you are looking for a quiet place to reset and recharge Derek's place is the place. The little cabanas are simple and fun. Ours the bathroom wall was made from old rum bottles filled with different colors of dyed water. We really enjoyed our stay at Derek's Place.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

I should have written a post a long time ago, but after finishing my fourth trip to Derek's over the course of five years, it's time.

I went through reading the 'good' and the 'bad' and the outright obnoxious reviews, and from years of experience out of all the places I've been in this world Derek's ranks at the top.

Regarding the 'bad' reviews: some of the complaints I can see where some are valid if you came with the wrong type of expectation. If your expectation was wrong you will be miserable and there are other places to stay. To put plain and simple, this is NOT a Hilton hotel and you will not be waited on hand and foot. Derek, Anna, and the staff are there to be hospitable and reasonably accommodating, but when you come to Derek's Place you are being welcomed as a part of their family and your experience will be dictated based on how much you choose to be a part of their family. Simply put, Derek and Anna are a loving couple, they have lovely children who may want to play Uno with you at times, and the dinners are delicious, family style, and you are eating with them as their guest with no predetermined menu. Also, there is no requirement to have meals there and they will suggest good places to eat on the rest of the island.

I read a positive review that this is like camping. That could not have been said better. You are in the jungle! Yes, it's a 20 minute walk to the other side of the island that's hot, has mosquitos, maybe muddy (beware of falling coconuts) but this is a small price to pay to feel secluded and not crowded by other travelers.

So the 'good' - firstly read above, you are secluded. The front of the island is a little cheaper but it's hot, muggy, and can be crowded. This side of the island is breezy, has fewer mosquitos as a result, and the best part is the cabañas are not stacked on top of each other - this is a huge property with room for 20 more cabañas, but instead they chose to have grass and space. If this costs ONLY an additional $20 dollars a night in comparison to other places and maybe $1 for coffee at breakfast, this alone is worth it. Secluded cabañas on a secluded part of the island.

Additionally, if you want to try their dive shop it's really not what you expect. There is an instructor and instead of 15 other people joining you for a dive it's typically just you, the instructor and maybe one additional diver. If you want to get certified you are getting true one-on-one instruction and not a mass classroom environment.

If you come with a positive attitude with the intention to get away from the real world this will be your place for life. You may even want to keep it a secret as your 'paradise' but plenty of time in the year to share the wealth.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
5  Thank crewguy250
Reviewed 28 April 2016

My wife and I stayed at Dereks place in February. We ended up staying longer than planned due to the awesomeness. Just think about the minutia of a perfect idyllic island paradise beach bungalow. Apply it to one place on the planet. Go to little corn and stay at Dereks. You will definitely ask your spouse to stay longer like I did. I only got a few extra days in paradise. You should try for longer.
We thoroughly enjoyed our relax vibe stay there. Yes, there is a walk to go to town and back. If you don’t want to walk through a beautiful jungle surrounded by paradisiac beaches, stay in Chicago. If you want to legitimately C-H-I-L-L, go to this amazing place.
We walked all over the island and had an awesome time. I actually changed our Costena airline tickets so we could stay longer on LCI. I never go back to the same place twice in my travels, but I will definitely be going back to LCI and hopefully staying at Dereks place.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple