US$143
US$297
  • Breakfast included
US$346
  • Breakfast included
Sunshine Marine Lodge(Matemwe)(Great Value!)
US$175
Villa Kiva Resort and Restaurant(Matemwe)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$195
US$111
Agoda.com
US$840
All reviewscoconut woodspent a long weekendafrican designstone townexcellent foodthree nightsco ownerlobsterpole poleamazing placelocal lifeprivate terraceswimming in the oceanmakes you feelour honeymoonmosquito netmnemba island
Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

I stayed in Matemwe Bandas with my Friend. The hotel is in a village which disappointed us at first but when we reached the hotel, we forgot about it immediately, but also found out that the people are nice to tourists.
The place was fantastic and the owners are really helpful and nice people. They recently owned the place and I wish good luck to them.

Anyway, I believe the place is for couples. It is nice and quite and far away from many things. But too far that We kind of got bored a little bit after sometime. I would be very happy if I came there with my wife but with a friend, no:)

We had to leave the place earlier than we planned and the owners let us leave without paying the day which we did not stay (we had a good personal reason). I must thank them for their kindness.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I just adored the style of ... Everything. So much love in all details. These guys really turned it into a magic place. The pool clean. The food awesome. The prices super fair. The service great. The rooms cute and clean. And they only have people from the same village working for them. And their kite teacher JUMA is great!!!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2016

Fairly long drive from the Airport (just over 1 hour) and at the end we went off road through a local village, all of which are fairly poor in Zanzibar, to get to the gates of the Matemwe Bandas Resort. We enter and get out of the car only to be met with… Paradise !! One of the owners, Magdalena, then quickly appeared and greeted us. There are no luxuries here, just basic, yet rustic, safe and clean accommodation, that has everything you need to have a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday. The two main items for me, shower and WiFi, were awesome !

Resort with only 6 rooms, 3 of which are beach facing (one of which we rented), so it is a very small resort, but the rooms (beach ones at least) are very spacious. These rooms are literally on the beach, with high tide coming within 50 meters of the rooms. A beautiful and fairly quiet beach with a few friendly locals and their boats. Several other small resorts along this beach, which we stopped at for a drink or meal, however none as nice as this in our opinion, and all far more expensive. Lovely open area with a thatched roof with dining tables and a bar, next to the pool, was a favoured place to relax.

It was very apparent that Magdalena and her business partner Milky, were serious about ensuring their guests are happy and well looked after, however also very refreshingly, aren’t greedy and in it to make a million dollars overnight. The rates were very reasonable and when making the booking, we didn’t miss the fact that they didn’t request payment or a deposit up-front. Very trusting, and hope future vacationers don’t take advantage of that and force them to change. They went out of their way to ensure we had a thoroughly enjoyable and comfortable stay, for which we were very appreciative. They can arrange many activities for those that want more than just relaxation and lounging around.

We were really very impressed with Matemwe Bandas (aka Zanzibar Bandas??) and the hosts, and as we live in Dubai and have direct flights, we will certainly be visiting again very soon!

Room Tip: Best rooms are those facing the beach
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2016

I have cherished every single moment I've spent at Matemwe Bandas. Great localization, superb ambiance, very nice stuff, great food. Bandas are situated right on the beach which makes you feel like Sun rises just for you. The rooms are designed in great style fully lined with mkeka. Lovely Pool near the restaurant and great chill zone around. You can truly relax and forget about all the hustle ! LOVE IT.

Room Tip: All rooms are Ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Positives
Many to mention:
- Fantastic owners: they couldn't have been more welcoming or accommodating. I required gluten free food and Magdalena wrote GF on the chalkboard next to the dishes I could have.
- Friendly staff: staff were very pleasant. Those cleaning our rooms did so discretely. We'd have breakfast in the morning and as we returned, the room had already been seen to!
- Remote and stunning location: we had a beautiful beach practically all to ourselves! I loved the hammocks, evening lighting and swimming pool. The atmosphere at Zanibar Bandas is so relaxed.
- Clean, comfortable rooms. The accomodation facing the beach was particularly stunning. We loved sitting on the porch, enjoying the cool sea breeze as we read our books!
- Free Wifi in bar area.

Areas for improvement:
- Bed pillows gave me a neck ache. Mattress in the twin beds was very soft. The mattress of the bed in the beach house was more comfortable.
- Some guests were greeted by name and not others. The waiters should try to greet everyone by name in the morning. Perhaps they could also wear name tags to help guests remember their name too.
- We waited a long time for breakfast but luckily, we weren't in any rush.
- A breakfast menu would've been welcomed, although I understand every day is different due to whatever produce is available at that time.
- An information desk would be good, with guests able to pick up leaflets regarding tours or someone to speak to about trips.

Overall, an amazing trip and it was a pleasure to stay at Zanibar Bandas.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends