“Awesome vacation! Awesome people!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matemwe
Matemwe Bandas Boutique Hotel, Zanzibar
Reviewed 1 August 2016

Hello guys from all over the world looking for a place to stay in Zanzibar. Your search is over because you found the place. This is the place to be. Quiet, cozy, relaxing, with a beautiful view, delicious food, excellent beach bungalows, and the nicest and more welcoming people I have ever met. I know it sounds like a payed advertise but it is not. I just feel the need to share with everybody what a great experience I had at Zanzibar Bandas.
I will not described the place because anyone can see the pictures for himself, but what I will do is tell you how I felt all the time I was there...and I felt I was the center of their attention and that`s because every time I wanted something they were there for me and my girlfriend. To start with, Magdalena, one of the owners she was waiting for me at 2 o`clock in the morning, when I got there, with a big smile on her face welcoming me like I was a kind of VIP. And that is one of the things I liked most there…the time they invest to make sure you have a good time and the pleasure they have doing that. Basically the way they spend their days is by …talking to the people there and making sure they have whatever they need. Both Magdalena and Milky have done everything to make sure that we are having a good time. At first they upgraded our room to a beach bungalow (I thought I booked a beach bungalow which I didn`t, and the first day one was available they put us on it) then they borrowed us their bikes and then hearing we are bikers their own motorcycle. Magdalena spent a lot of time with us giving advices on where to go, what to visit, sharing her experiences and knowledge, or drawing maps with unknown touristic places to visit. When we needed to rent a car we didn`t have to go to Stone Town to take it, they just called a friend who came with the car and also with the Zanzibar driving permit (which by the way you must have if you want to drive on the island) All in all if you want a vacation where you do not want to worry about anything, do not worry, they `re going to worry for you.
Food ? Delicious!! Just try the tuna steaks. I haven`t left the place till I tasted everything they had on the menu. I didn`t feel the need to go somewhere else to try something different.
Accommodation? Excellent. You do not need something more. If you`re the type of super luxurious crowded hotels try some other place, but if you want intimacy, coziness, coco an palm wood made bungalows with a great ocean view and water coming on high tide almost to your doorstep try it and you will come again for sure. We sure will.
Magdalena, Milky, Milozs, thank you guys a lot for the wonderful vacation we had and for all of your attention.
Theo & Andreea

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

I stayed in Matemwe Bandas with my Friend. The hotel is in a village which disappointed us at first but when we reached the hotel, we forgot about it immediately, but also found out that the people are nice to tourists.
The place was fantastic and the owners are really helpful and nice people. They recently owned the place and I wish good luck to them.

Anyway, I believe the place is for couples. It is nice and quite and far away from many things. But too far that We kind of got bored a little bit after sometime. I would be very happy if I came there with my wife but with a friend, no:)

We had to leave the place earlier than we planned and the owners let us leave without paying the day which we did not stay (we had a good personal reason). I must thank them for their kindness.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I just adored the style of ... Everything. So much love in all details. These guys really turned it into a magic place. The pool clean. The food awesome. The prices super fair. The service great. The rooms cute and clean. And they only have people from the same village working for them. And their kite teacher JUMA is great!!!!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2016

Fairly long drive from the Airport (just over 1 hour) and at the end we went off road through a local village, all of which are fairly poor in Zanzibar, to get to the gates of the Matemwe Bandas Resort. We enter and get out of the car only to be met with… Paradise !! One of the owners, Magdalena, then quickly appeared and greeted us. There are no luxuries here, just basic, yet rustic, safe and clean accommodation, that has everything you need to have a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday. The two main items for me, shower and WiFi, were awesome !

Resort with only 6 rooms, 3 of which are beach facing (one of which we rented), so it is a very small resort, but the rooms (beach ones at least) are very spacious. These rooms are literally on the beach, with high tide coming within 50 meters of the rooms. A beautiful and fairly quiet beach with a few friendly locals and their boats. Several other small resorts along this beach, which we stopped at for a drink or meal, however none as nice as this in our opinion, and all far more expensive. Lovely open area with a thatched roof with dining tables and a bar, next to the pool, was a favoured place to relax.

It was very apparent that Magdalena and her business partner Milky, were serious about ensuring their guests are happy and well looked after, however also very refreshingly, aren’t greedy and in it to make a million dollars overnight. The rates were very reasonable and when making the booking, we didn’t miss the fact that they didn’t request payment or a deposit up-front. Very trusting, and hope future vacationers don’t take advantage of that and force them to change. They went out of their way to ensure we had a thoroughly enjoyable and comfortable stay, for which we were very appreciative. They can arrange many activities for those that want more than just relaxation and lounging around.

We were really very impressed with Matemwe Bandas (aka Zanzibar Bandas??) and the hosts, and as we live in Dubai and have direct flights, we will certainly be visiting again very soon!

Room Tip: Best rooms are those facing the beach
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2016

I have cherished every single moment I've spent at Matemwe Bandas. Great localization, superb ambiance, very nice stuff, great food. Bandas are situated right on the beach which makes you feel like Sun rises just for you. The rooms are designed in great style fully lined with mkeka. Lovely Pool near the restaurant and great chill zone around. You can truly relax and forget about all the hustle ! LOVE IT.

Room Tip: All rooms are Ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matemwe
0.5 km away
4.8 km away
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Matemwe Bandas Boutique Hotel, Zanzibar? Share your experiences!