TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsenjoyed our stayplace to staysurreybridgesummersidetvownerpei
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Good, pet-friendly overnight stopping point close to Summerside. Lots of green space to walk the dog. Quick check in and check out. Room had fridge and microwave. Owner was helpful in providing local information.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Murray S, Owner at Anchor Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thanks for the positive remarks; especially towards the pet friendly policy. It is not everywhere that you can vacation with your four legged companions.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I love what I call 50s style motels. Like this one. But, with upgraded amenities. Like this one. Very clean, very comfortable. About the best breakfast ever - better than any hotel chain I've been to. I thought it might be noisy. No, very quiet. Very good wi-fi. TV ok but not a biggie for me. Love the location. I could take off in any direction for sightseeing. Very helpful, friendly staff. Highly recommend. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Murray S, Owner at Anchor Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thank you...we're glad it met your requirements. And I really appreciate the positive comments. Often it is the dissatisfied guest who makes a point of complaining(often exaggerating to make a point), so it it nice to learn we have met or exceeded your expectations.....Murray

Murray and Nadia Sallis and Staff

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

It just about does the job but for the money it is old and dilapidated.

All the furniture in the room is mismatched, the bed is very soft and new mattresses are needed.

Any sink plugs you might find don't fit and the AC is badly positioned and old.

On the good side it offers a very good breakfast run by a charming lady in charge.

It is positioned conveniently to the bridge but is a long way from Charlottetown.

There are a lot of insects in the area.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Murray S, Owner at Anchor Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

One has to appreciate that some travelers must have their say; however some corrections are in order. Firstly, except for pedestals to hold the fridge and microwave all of our furniture was built by craftsmen in Summerside. Secondly, by industry standards our mattresses are nearly new having been purchased within the last five years in New Brunswick from the manufacturer. We use in the window AC units for two months of the year and it just is not worth building these in or changing the system altogether. We serve tourists for a few months each year and most of them are very satisfied; we do realize however that we are never going to satisfy everyone. I will tell Michelle that she was regarded as charming-she'll get a kick out of hearing that!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

First, let me say that I stayed at the Anchor Motel for 2 months while searching for my forever home on beautiful PEI. I am not sure where the folks that posted the previous 2 reviews have stayed previously in their travels but they are obviously not aware that all motels have different types of rooms and policies.

When I first arrived, Murray the owner showed me one of the cleanest motel rooms that I have seen in a long time. He even told me that there were 4 other motels just down the highway and on Water Street in Summerside and that I should check them out before I made my decision to stay at the Anchor Motel.

When you are renting weekly or monthly, you are usually receiving deeply discounted rates on the rooms and I had no problem with the small cleaning charge upon my departure. Again, this charge was fully explained BEFORE I agreed to rent the room and to me the small charge was totally fair and understandable. Yes, I was on my own to clean my room during my stay and do the laundry myself. Wait, I have been doing this for myself my entire life and there is a Laundromat onsite. As to the cleaning of my own room, I was provided a broom, mop, bucket, etc. in short order but requesting these items. I also received additional towels when my girlfriend arrived for a 2 week stay with me. All I had to do was ask! As far as the damage deposit goes, I paid it with no issues as there are often damage deposits when renting. I received the deposit upon checking out without delay. Remember, if you don't damage the room you have nothing to worry about.

Seriously, at the discounted weekly/monthly rates and then to expect the same level of service that we receive at the regular nightly rate is ridiculous. If you want the same level of service as full rate..............pay full rate. I know that this would have been cost prohibitive for me during my two months there if paying full rate anywhere. I have returned home for the summer and have already made arrangements to return to the Anchor Motel early in September to continue the search for my forever home. I can also say that the men in the room next to mine had been there longer than myself working on PEI and returned home to Newfoundland for the summer and are returning to the Anchor in the fall to work in the potato harvest.

There are a number of different rooms at this motel so the rates will vary from the basic weekly/monthly rate. Perhaps the cheapest room is available, perhaps not. Like any motel/hotel that I have stayed at, there are different rooms at different rates. My room had two beds, refrigerator and microwave. The room beside mine had 3 beds and a full housekeeping setup with sink, refrigerator and stove and 2 bathrooms. Other rooms had 1 bed and were in various configurations so OF COURSE the price varies.

One day I arrived back at my room after a day of house hunting to find a letter attached to my door. This was an invitation from Murray and his wife to attend a "Thank you" BBQ the next evening. Hmmm, no charge from the management for this, just a very nice surprise and this included all tenants staying there.
Unfortunately I was unable to access my other account on here which is “Brantcouple”.

Take a look and you will see that I post good reviews when deserved and negative reviews when they are called for. In my two months at the Anchor Motel I found nothing to complain about at all.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Edward F
Murray S, Owner at Anchor Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Thank you for this. A glowing review helps balance the scale to be sure.

Reviewed 15 June 2017

Needed a month long place to stay but when we arrived we were told we had to give 1/2 month damage deposit - huh for a one mth stay? After giving a $575 deposit, he still wanted our M/C, not sure why and we were told there would be a $25 cleaning fee at the end of the month even if the place was immaculate. That's when we decided, forget it and we were then told his bank machine wouldn't give a credit and we would have to have a $575 cheque which we couldn't cash till the next day. My husband was furious. Murray did say if we decided we didn't want to stay after one night he would only charge us 1-night at $79 even though his sign said $59. We checked out the next day, went to his bank but because it wasn't our bank, we were charged $5 to cash the cheque so the night cost $84. We travelled from Surrey BC to Summerside PEI and this was absolutely the worst experience of the trip. We went into Summerside and hot another lovely place and stayed there for the month while we were looking for a house in the area.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Murray S, Owner at Anchor Motel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

A very interesting response from "terrible". This is an older couple who probably haven't rented anything in the last 30 years. Firstly, they did not understand the concept of a refundable deposit. Secondly, they did not want to use a credit card to guarantee their stay ( I Know of NO hotel that will not ask for a credit card even if there has been a prepayment). The concept was "foreign" to these nice folks. Thirdly, they were told that we charge a flat $25.00 for EVERYONE staying weekly or monthly. A room is never left clean enough for the next guest and this allows our staff to go in and take care of things overlooked by the guest (ovens are hardly ever cleaned properly). We also charge a flat fee for pets (they didn't have one). This is clearly stated in out Extended Stay one page contract-it isn't buried in the fine print (there isn't any). Fourthly, after ruminating on this overnight they came in the following morning and asked to be charged for one night, which I obliged them. Our base rate for one person nightly was $59 in one double bed; they chose a two full bed unit with a full kitchen and were charged the appropriate rate($79). I guess one has to chalk this up to experience-you just can't satisfy everyone. These people returned to another motel and paid full nightly rates for a unit without a kitchen for another week-not sure if this was a very reasoned move; but I do hope they are successful in finding a house on the Island