El Mangroove, Autograph Collection(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$331
US$271
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$276
Hotels.com
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$528
US$422
Bookit.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$182
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
US$67
US$62
Savings alert! 33% below average rates

The price you found is 33% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$93/night.

Vista Bahia Beach Resort(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$99
US$96
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$65
Hotels.com
Villas del Papagayo(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$1,125
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$575
1,860 results
All reviewsblack sandmobility issuescountrymonkeyswildlifeexcursionsvolcanotide
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Had a water leak on our heads at 2:30 AM, NO hot water for four(4) days, there was a lot of little things also, but these were the worse. ALSO the resort DENYS all of it and will not give us compensation for anything.
Crack in the bathroom ceiling and leak in the bathroom.
Ants on floor and bed.
Hole in screan door of patio.
Refrigerator took two days to cool off.
The airconditioner and bathroom fan were very LOUD.

Room Tip: I would NOT recomend this accomodation to anyone(not even my worst enemy) *****Find a different resort*****
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gabrielle C
Alberto S, General Manager at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Gabrielle C,

I’m sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your visit, as our goal is to always provide an exceptional experience for our guests. Our manager will reach out to you via TripAdvisor today to discuss your stay.

Regarding the issues with your room, please know that our maintenance works very hard on repairs and this is typically done within a timely manner. If guests experience any problems, we always recommend notifying the front desk immediately so that we can help. I’ve shared your review with the maintenance team and they rechecked all rooms, bathrooms, refrigerators and the hot water supply to ensure all are in proper condition. We also have a proactive pest control procedure in place, as we do live in a tropical climate.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I have to say this up front. If you are going to go to a beautiful country like Costa Rica to spend all of your time in a resort, then why go at all? This resort served its purpose, and was a great value. The food is ok, fresh fruit is wonderful. Do not go to the Mexican restaurant. It was terrible, as if they microwaved the food. But the buffet was decent, and the staff was fantastic. We always received friendly service and refills on beer and wine were never lacking. I am going to assume that the people who gave negative reviews on service were simply rude people. Get to know the staff. They are truly pleasant and will go out of their way to help you.

Pool needs to be renovated for sure. Grounds are always very clean. Room was also very clean, but we also tipped the maid $2 a day, so maybe that helped. As far as safety of our belongings, never an issue. We are experienced travelers to central america, so we are smart enough not to bring expensive non-essential items anyway, but even our watches, camera, etc. we're left out in the room and never touched. We didn't bother with the safe in the room, however they do charge an extra $2 a night to use it which I think is ridiculous and should be complimentary. Beds were fine. Shower was fine. We spent minimal time at the resort, so we weren't looking for luxury here.

You really need to rent a car, as the resort is far from everything and transportation fees are insane We rented a car from Avis, which is right on site and very convenient. But if you make reservations ahead of time, be sure to print out your confirmation because they do try to scam you and tell you all they have left is the upgraded model and try to get you to pay more. We got the upgrade for free since I did have proof of confirmation.

We did a tour through hotelbeds. They tried to scam us here too, telling us they were giving us the adrenaline adventure tour at a discounted price of $120 per person. I told the sales guy I saw it online for $85 and we were willing to drive ourselves there and miraculously the price went down to $85. Do your homework before so you know what you should be paying.

We did get ripped off by the guy down at the beach for a fishing trip. The trip was great, however we were promised lunch and a cooler full of beer, and that never happened. So do not buy from the guys on the beach, and also, just confirm with the people who are actually doing the tours what you are expecting, since most of the time the people doing the tours are not affiliated with the tour companies.

We ate at a bunch of different local places, and they were all fantastic. Since the hotel value was so cheap, we didn't mind spending extra on food outside the resort on occasion. It was well worth it!

We saw both the howler monkeys and the white face monkeys right on the beach at the resort, plus plenty of iguanas, raccoons, birds, etc. There are some nasty ants in the sand that bite, so be careful on the beach.

The view from the resort is incredible. Yes, it is on a steep hill, and yes, it is not the best to walk up to reception in the mid afternoon with the sun beating down on you (I am active and not the least bit lazy, and I did walk up plenty of times) but the shuttle comes around every 10 minutes so I can't imagine anyone complaining about this.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. No, it's not the four seasons, but it was a fantastic value and a wonderful time in Costa Rica!!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Bethwanj
Reviewed 1 June 2012

If you are looking for something to complain about you will find it. I prefer to see the beauty of the place. The rooms were cleaned daily including the balcony. The pool and grounds were cleaned daily with a skimmer being passed during the day. The buffet was never boring. Always a variety of food. The staff was friendly, gracious and engaging. The resort was steep but we never wanted for a shuttle and the climb from dinner was welcomed.
The event staff was always looking to engage the people. It is truly up to you to join, if you do they will always remember your name.
The best parts of the trip were the day excursions. I HIGHLY recommend Memo from Memo adventures. He truly does cater your trips around you. He has a newer van with powerful A.C. He is very informative and engaging. He does not take payment in advance and is truly safe to book with. Memo adventures lives up to their reputation.
The beach was clean and the sand easy to walk on. Yes it is black so take flip flop for when the sand gets hot.
It would be a shame to miss out on this terrific resort. My travel partner and I truly had a magical vacation.

Room Tip: The rooms in the 5,6 and 7 buildings afford the best view and the optimal walking to and from the pool and food.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had to change rooms because of the ants in the bathroom and the AC not working. The food was pretty good but was the same every day. I expected more seafood and was disappointed with the lack of seafood options. Housekeeping was poor. I cleaned my own coffee cups every morning and had to ask for coffee on more than one occasion. I even tipped housekeeping upon arrival hoping this would help not being overlooked.

The restaurant/buffet/bartending staff was wonderful. Everyone freindly and fulfilled any and all requests.

The location was wonderful. I loved the black sand beach of the bay. Monkeys and sting rays. Plenty of iguana and racoons and birds to feed. :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jerseygirl0268
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the Allegro Papagayo for our 10th wedding anniversary, and we had a blast. Oscar was the by far the best staff we ran into. We introduced ourselves the first night, and from then on, he greeted us by name and always with a smile on his face. The food was not high quality but was more than adequate for the price. The view from our room was spectacular! For the price that you pay, Allegro Papagayo was definitely worth it, even during the rainy season!

Room Tip: Top floor has a great view from the rooms, high ceilings, and are nice and quiet. You just have to walk up the stairs to get there, which for some people might be an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple