“not up to occidental standards”
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Our family stayed at the Papagayo during the final day of our stay in Costa Rica. While I knew this resort had received bad reviews, I kept thinking it would be okay since it was part of the Occidental group. The resort sits up on hill and has a beautiful view of the ocean. Unfortunately this is the only positive thing I can say. This property is very worn
and in need of some serious renovation. Our rooms were just awful. If you are expecting anything close to a 3 star hotel, you will be disappointed. It was the worst all-inclusive we had ever stayed at. But Costa Rica is amazing. The people are friendly and helpful and the country is breathtaking.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed 8 January 2010

I'll start with the negative so I can end on a positive note. Upon arrival we had to call about 4 times to ask for someone to bring us 2 replacement keys for ones we were given that didn't work and this after they told us to come back to reception(no, I don't think so!). We also had to call 2 times and relay the message as well to the guy who brought us our keys to request another set of towels for the 3rd person in our room. The hotel was pretty hard to find: there wasn't signage off the main highways and most Internet maps couldn't establish the final arrival point when I tried to map the route from SJO airport, but I figured it out (will post pics later of landmarks to look for en route). The beach is narrow and has black sand, but if you do your due dilligence you know this in advance as Costa Rica is a volcanic country and this is common in those (like Tahiti as well, for example). But that's all for the negative! Our room was clean every day, never semi-dirty, NO bed bugs (man that review scared me b/c I didn't read it until AFTER I booked), and the staff was sosososo nice! Those poor souls start work at 6:00 a.m. and get out at 11:30 p.m. and you never see a grimace or a frown! If you want your omelette cooked longer, just ask; they're very accommodating! They're super friendly and smile all the time, even when standing over a hot grill in the blazing heat. The food was a mixture of good, great (Mexican restaurant IS better than Italian), and OK but NEVER bad or awful. I don't expect a 4 Star place in Costa Rica to be the same as in NYC or London or Paris! I think I have realistic and reasonable expectations. I thought it was a great deal for all you can eat, drink, and kayak! TIP: don't leave the little window in the shower open as you bathe, you can see straight in! TIP: pay the little extra for Premium accommodations; The resort is on a steep mountain side and although there's shuttle service between the buildings, the service doesn't run on exactly timed intervals and it can be major cardio workout in the heat getting to your room otherwise! Allegro Papagayo was Pura Vida!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank TicaTravels
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We booked this all inclusive resort for a week getaway in Costa Rica. The setting is gorgeous and is great to take long walks on the beach. Food was fairly good in the buffet and the Mexican dining was excellent. The Italian restaurant was mediocre at best and they lost our reservation. The pool area was really nice and the swim up bar was a lot of fun. The late night dance club had a few good moments but was a bit of a disappointment one evening when they ran out of beer at 11pm. The sunset cruise was a blast and the staff on the boat were very fun. When we arrived to our room it was not ready yet so they switched us to an even better one no problem. The worst thing about our stay was the toilet. Upon arrival to our room we found that it was not cleaned (as it was full of urine and feces) even though it had the hygienically cleaned sticker on it. We also found out very quickly that the toilet did not even work. The front desk staff were basically useless and we spent nearly half our stay without a working toilet despite countess phone calls and trips to the front desk. We were not compensated for this serious inconvenience. Other than that I had a nice stay but I would recommend a different hotel as I found out after we booked that they were dumping untreated waste directly in the ocean and were shut down briefly the year before I came. Not an eco-friendly resort.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2010

best place in the world.. visit the Arenal Butterfly Gardens.. Black - and I mean black fine sand beaches. not hot on the feet because its as fine as baby powder..

Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank misfit12
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Not a good place. Bad food and poorly managed. The white faced monkeys made my week.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
1.4 km away
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
6 km away
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
6.5 km away
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Occidental Papagayo - Adults onl...
#7 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.6 km away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
32.1 km away
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!