“Great time in Costa Rica for an amazing price!”
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We booked this resort last minute at a great price! For the price we paid, we weren't expecting anything fancy but a place that was safe and clean. We had a great time!

Location: It was isolated but beautiful. It's located next to a beautiful forest with lots of birds and monkeys. Huge stretch of black sand beach to the left of the resort. Nice but we couldn't find any good snorkeling spots off the beach. You can sign up at Charlies a day before to go to the white sand beach "Beach Club" by boat. There are some so-so snorkeling spots off the beach there. You can also walk through the forest to the Marina. There were lots of howler and white-faced monkeys on the beach. The isolation is good or bad, depends what you want- wildlife or walking distance to town?

Rooms: So-so. They were clean and safe but could use some updating. There were some very small ant-like insects that would appear near the bathroom sink. Not a big deal. The views from the room are beautiful. We could see the water from our balcony. But you don't spend much time there anyways. The a/c worked great, albeit a bit loud at times. There is a fridge and a large safe the width of a laptop (I think it was $2/day). You may want to bring conditioner if you use it. They have shampoo and soap, etc.

Staff: Very friendly and wonderful! Everyone on site was very friendly... ranging from the bar tenders, servers to the Fun Club.

Food: Didn't go to the Italian a la cart. Mexican a la cart was really delicious. Buffet is your typical fare. It was fine. Lots to choose from- what I expected! They had a omelet stand every morning and a grill stand in the evening. They had a couple different themes during the week. They had some Costa Rican fare, but wish they had more. There was also a snack bar daily with nachos, thick crust pizza, hamburgers, fries, etc.

Excursions: You really need to hire a car or pay $$ to go on excursions since this location of this resort is pretty isolated. We spent a couple days traveling by car with another couple exploring many beaches with some good snorkeling spots (which is hard to do without a car), parks and zip-lining. We also went on a tour to Arenal with Vargas Tours. They were wonderful! You pay a little bit more ($20ish) than the tour companies on-site, but well worth it. You can hire taxis, but I heard that they are expensive. The resort does offer some taxi services.

I would recommend this hotel, but only for the right price and what your expectations are.

2  Thank BlueLanta
Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed 27 January 2011

This is my second time staying at the Allegro I was there back in early 2000 for a week. The hotel does show some sign of age but no big deal. The room was comfortable and simple who need the frills your never in your room anyway. People if you got a good deal for Costa Rica expect what you pay for if you didn't pay for a 5 star you aren't going to get one.
The buffet was good staff is very attentive and the variety and quality of food excellent.(I think that after so many of us bringing our bacon up to the the egg station every morning they finally started putting out crispy bacon)
We ate at the al la cartes both were good. We loved the mexican it was fabulous. Some reviews complained of long lines at the buffet. Our group never ran into that one time and the resort was fully booked while we were there. Never had trouble finding a lounger if you got up early to secure yourself a prime spot there wasn't a issue. The thing about Costa Rica is get off the resort and explore this beautiful country. The beach is perfect for watching wildlife and exploring. Our housekeeper was fabulous all week long keeping our room very clean.
The climb to room was steep but that is part of the charm of this resort being hillside. Would I return? in a heartbeat. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and the Ticos wonderful people.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelingurl01
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Great destination and resort! I agree with all the comments on the steep hills, but great exercise and there is a shuttle for those who prefer not to walk. Enjoyed the organized tours through NOLITOURS, but the drivers (and the roads) in Costa Rica are crazy! Food was more than adequate - lots of local food, with fruit (watermelon season!) but it would be hard to go hungry! The staff are very friendly and eager to please. We got a great travel deal for our vacation, but had been considering already for even more so the discount was a bonus. Would definitely recommend as a destination - and I cerainly plan to return.

2  Thank Fayzer
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Let me establish my traveling history. I've been on several all inclusive resorts of different prices and ratings - generally in Mexico and Jamaica. I was going with a group (150 plus people) and this was the place they had picked out. I read the reviews on the place and decided to go despite the bad and so-so reviews, because that is where the group was heading. I had a decent time DESPITE the hotel. I think other people on the trip weren't as lucky.

We opted for the premium deluxe room... that is the highest grade room at this resort. This was the cream of the crop?? Didn't get the king size bed we booked and the fridge was supposed to be stocked for the extra $$. Nope. Had to call them and ask them to fill it - but at least I assumed that they would continue to fill it for the rest of the stay. They did not, so I called to have them refill the fridge. The answer was "No Amy, we need to have you come up and pay for that" - when I pointed out that I already had paid for it he said he'd check. We got the fridge filled with a bottle of wine in addition, but twice in a week - if you pay for it separate it's $15 a day? ( was told that by one of the other travelers)

The one thing that we did get by opting for the upgrade was a room near the pool and food. The other reviewers weren't kidding when they mentioned steep hills. I'd read that and still wasn't prepared for how steep everything was.

Other people that wrote some of these reviews, even those that liked the resort mentioned that they felt like they were eating the same thing every day. Well, the food wasn't that good and there wasn't a large selection. The other all inclusive places that I've been to pretty much have food available 24/7 but this was not the case - very strict hours for food and we missed the lunch a couple of times. Even the "nice" restaurant wasn't that good. The place was nicer looking but the food itself? Not that great.

I didn't bring soap, shampoo or conditioner - they did supply soap & shampoo but not conditioner - if you go bring your own. I'm not sure if its the water or the shampoo but everybody but bald guys need conditioner there.

We didn't go to the white sand beach but you had to make the reservations a day ahead and we were told it wasn't worth the trip. The black sand beach was beautiful at night, but really too hot to be on during the day. The pool was fine and the pool bar was fine as well - they were good with the drinks, but usually understaffed.

The staff does everything on "Tico time". I'm familiar with Mexican time and it's very similar. Usually though you get better service when you tip well - but it didn't seem to make any difference here. (I'm not sure if that is good or bad!) I felt as if there was no effort in anything they did around the place.

Our host ( the leader of the trip) had it correct when he said that we were going for the destination and not the resort.

I have no ax to grind about the resort. The people were pleasant enough. One of the reviewers rightly said - it's a third world country - what do you expect? So I didn't go with much in the way of expectations. But even then I was somewhat disappointed.

1  Thank amyj0807
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We read a lot of really bad reviews of this hotel before going - so glad we chose to ignore them! The hotel is set in an idyllic position - on a steep hill overlooking the Bay of Papagayo and surrounded by forest. There are minibuses to take you round the site but if you are averagely fit the hill just provides some welcome exercise! Our room had two double beds and was clean and comfortable.

We found the food to be excellent. As vegetarians we had a good choice at every meal - lots of fresh fruit, fresh salads, freshly baked bread, pasta. There were loads of other choices but we tended to stick to the healthy options. The iced tea was delicious and very refreshing . We ate the whole time in the buffet - where the hard-working staff were always friendly and pleasant.

We got up early to walk in the cool of the dawn - and there were lots of places round about to walk. We were never hassled and felt perfectly safe. The local wildlife included howler and white-faced capuchin monkeys, raccoons, coatis, squirrels and large lizards/iguanas. The bird life was fabulous with lots of brightly coloured specimens - orioles, parrots, parakeets, grosbeaks - many of which flock into the hotel grounds at dusk to roost.

We did three trips and enjoyed them all.We did two birdwatching trips - the first was an all day one through Hotelbeds. it was enjoyable because of the different habitats but the guide, Alexandro was not very good and the trip was probably over-priced. The second trip was just a morning, organised through Noli Tours, but the guide was excellent and this was very reaonably priced in comparison.

The holiday was booked through First Choice and the rep, Sandra, worked really hard and was very accessible. The holiday was really good value for money.

For us the only down side were some of the hotel guests - who were noisy and inconsiderate.

Tips:

Take binoculars even if you are not a dedicated wild-lifer. Lots of people got interested while they were there and were struggling to see with cameras!

Shop around the companies who organise trips - they all have desks in the reception area. Their prices seem to vary considerably for the same or similar trips.

Take your dollars in low denomination notes. It is hard to get change.

If you are interested in birds, take a field guide with you - we used the Birds of Costa Rica by Richard Garrigues and Robert Dean

Take some fairly heavy duty insect repellent. We got bitten to death by tiny little bugs while walking on the forest tracks!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Talbotgreen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
1.4 km away
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
6 km away
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection
6.5 km away
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only
Occidental Papagayo - Adults onl...
#7 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.6 km away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
32.1 km away
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Allegro Papagayo? Share your experiences!