“definately a five star plus!!!”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 14 March 2006

just got back from costa rica, stayed at four seasons the papagayo peninsula is beautiful,the resort is isolated but outstanding , i was definately impressed . very expensive but we were on our honeyroom so it was worth it, we stayed on the third floor and for the extra money this room was amazing, with a great outside area , we had a ocean view and loved it , i tried the spa and if you enjoy spa i must admit this is probably the most beautifull spa i have been to and i do go to alot of spas, recommend it for sure, the only downside is expensive , service is definately four seasons quality , but thats what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank giudici
Write a ReviewReviews (1,978)

Reviewed 8 March 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons
in late February for 4 days/3 nights of our 12 day vacation in CR. After reading the other reviews, we decided to try it out. This was our experience.

Grounds - ridiculously immaculate! The grounds are absolutely amazing. I can't think of a more beautiful resort that we have stayed at. I don't play golf or know anything about golf courses, but I was deeply impressed with the greens. Also, the beaches are beautiful, just don't step on the armies of hermit crabs at sundown.

Rooms - We stayed in the deluxe rooms. These are basically the standard rooms with a view/partial view of the bay/ocean. We stayed on the bay side. The view was impressive and the room itself was pretty nice. They must have had some issues with dishonesty because they no longer had a minibar in the rooms. You had to call room service if you desired a $21.00 six-pack of domestic beer. Also, the bathtub drain in our room was broken. Otherwise, the private patios are awesome and the matresses are very comfortable.

Restaurants - First of all, I have to say that I was sick for our stay at the Four Seasons, so I had absolutely no appetite. My husband gave me his imput on the restaurants. The french toast at Papagayo is the best french toast that either of us (I had a bite) has ever had, hands down. Congo's, for lunch, is very expensive for mediocre food. The $15.00 cheeseburger and fries were worth it to me though, it was the only thing that I could stomach on the trip. My husband loved his Filet Mignon at Caracol.

Other Guests - If you want to witness embarrassing, stomach-turning rudeness toward staff, go to the Four Seasons in CR. Many of the guests were polite, but I was apalled with some of the behavior I witnessed from other guests. Granted, the staff is paid (well, I hope) to take care of us. They are not, however, paid to take verbal abuse (and physical from unruly children who kick and bite) from unreasonable guests, with perma-frowns, who seem to never be satified. The staff took this abuse with more grace and dignity than I could ever muster in their situation. I won't go into specific detail, but I think that it is sad that this is what I remember most about the Four Seasons CR.

Overall, I would not go back to the Four Seasons CR. Yes, the grounds are amazing, the staff are extremely attentive, and the rooms are above par, but we experienced this in other locations in CR as well. We would rather go to a location where the prices are reasonable and the atmosphere isn't tense.

If you are planning to stay at the Four Seasons Papagayo, I hope that your experience will be better than ours.

• Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank devinbrook
Reviewed 27 February 2006

It's interesting to read these reviews when you have actually been to the same hotel, etc. Funny how everyone's tastes are varied. My husband and I went for an extended weekend in Jan. and found while we agree on most of the previous posters comments, we differ with some on the restaurants! We actually thought the meals at Caracol were delicious and the servers extremely attentive and professional. DiMare was as good an Italian meal as we've had in the islands anywhere. The Churrasquería dinner at Congo's was perhaps our least favorite of all. Way too much food and most overcooked. But,we wanted to experience it all and enjoyed every minute. Yes, we were also in the middle of a few Company Bonus Trips or whatever they're called. Alot of loud people talking with each other (yelling) across the pool, etc. But, I was really too immersed in my cool, citrus scented towels, Evian spritzes, frozen grapes, cold water, drinks....the list of little perks is endless. Only once did a few children visit the pool we would frequent and they were well supervised. The staff is the nicest anywhere. The hotel room was just as we expected, just like the picture on the hotel website. The golf course tour, if you're not playing golf, is a must. My husband enjoyed the Canopy Tour, but said be prepared for a bit of hiking and not too much siteseeing the flora and fauna...! With the exception of a big sticky stain on the floor of our elevator that was never cleaned from day one.....we found the Four Seasons to fit our "requirements for a getaway" and wished we were there for a longer stay.

• Stayed: January 2006
9  Thank day1
A TripAdvisor Member
los angeles
Reviewed 27 February 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons for 3 nights/4 days after staying at a b and b near tamarindo for 4 nights. The Four Seasons is very nice, but I don't think the place to stay in Costa Rica. The location is very nice and the property beautiful. The service is excellent and the staff incredibly nice and helpful. We have stayed at 5 other Four Seasons properties and this one was different. Here's why.

There were more children at this place than any hotel I have ever stayed at, including other Four Seasons properties. So be ready for a noisy, crazy, poolside experience. 2 Days we couldn't even get a lounge chair and had to go to the beach. The children will take most lounge chairs by mid-morning and then spend all day in the pool, not using the lounges. I found most the children to be noisy and quite ill-behaved aka spoiled, rich brats. 2 other couples we met shared our observation. I have a 7 and 10 year old, so I know how children should act in public. I've never seen so many lay down on the ground, legs flaring temper tantrums. This aspect of the hotel was a cross between a Holiday Inn and Club Med for kids. They all seemed to be from the upper east coast (New York, New England area). There is an "adult only" pool but it is too close to the other pools to really drown out the noise.

They also have a free internet area next to the spa. Everytime my wife and I wanted to use it for business we had to wait for the kids to finish their chat sessions and/or games to use the internet. You would think they would see an adult waiting and move aside but no way. They need a seperate internet area for adults and one for children.

If you are looking for rest and relaxation this is not the place. If you are willing to give up some peace and quite for great service and a beautiful resort experience this may be for you. As for us, we will return to Costa Rica but not this property.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 February 2006

we loved the papagayo. i agree with some of the other reviewers. this resort is very isolated. I also agree that breaking up your trip is the best thing to do. that's what we did. we relaxed for 4 days and did not leave the compound. we had all of our meals and spa treatments there instead of wasting 2 hours driving in and out of the compound.
the rooms were amazing! we had a sun room attatched to our room that overlooked the ocean. the ocean was on both side of our room, hence the peninsula aspect of the resort. the rooms were predominantly brown cherry wood, simple but beautiful, with hardwood floors.
the restaurants were all excellent, can't go wrong.
the spa treatments were phenomenal- get the unique ones only offered in costa rica.
service was stellar.

4.8 km away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!