“Amazing week - 5 star but with a couple slight caveats”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 16 March 2010

I would echo everything positive Galinbenba said below - agree with it all especially internet charge comment- kinda ridiculous.
We enjoyed all the resort had to offer and just amazing golf course. Dining was great and much variety. Certainly recommend spending a day over at Prieta beach club - just a free short shuttle ride over. We highly recommend Mainor (tours your way) for airport transfers - it was great and he personally met us upon our departure and made sure we got to correct spot in airport. I would highly recommend him and would use for tours/excursions if I went back.
I believe the resort was full but you would never know it - no trouble ever getting chair at pool or beach and always could get in restaurants. Very quiet in our room except for the wildlife at all hours! Concierges were so helpful and knowledgable.

My slight caveats to a glowing 5 star rating - the service at the beach (only can comment on Pacific beach) was spotty. For some reason they seemed to only ever have one attendant and there was just too much for him to do. Therefore there was a lack of typical service you receive at a Four Seasons. Overall pool/beach service was a notch below what I had experienced at FS Punta Mita but some of it could be the change in economic conditions since that trip.

My only significant negative comment was my second visit to spa. The Spa is beautiful and my massage was great. However I returned for a pedicure and manicure. It was not worth the amount of money it cost and I was extremely disappointed in quality/conditions for this type of resort. The view in room was great but that was it. First most higher end spas use a new file and buffer for each customer and then give it to you. Here-the ones used on me were pulled out of a drawer and looked like they had been used for 3 months or more- that is unacceptable for this price or any! Also all the other items, clippers, etc were just pulled out of the drawer and no visible sign they had been sterilized. This was shocking to me and never experienced at other Four Season spas. They were just put back in drawer at the end so ????? The pedicure bath was kinda a joke. The bench was so uncomfortable - hard and just a mushy bed pillow to lean back on. The "sink" had no jets just plain with tile surround. The set up was for someone 5 ft and was not adjustable so very awkward and uncomfortable for someone 5' 7". Then where you rest your feet was just a wooden board permanently screwed into wall with a hinge, and then covered with a towel !!! I would never recommend anyone get nail services - get it before you come - big, big disappointment especially at this price.
But other services and the hydro-pool treatment outside overlooking water is great spot.

So again aside for the one blemish - which I would know to avoid next time - it was just a fabulous week. Beautiful and exotic location and will definitely plan to return.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed 13 March 2010

This was our 4th trip to Costa Rica and by far the best thanks to the Four Seasons.
The service was first class from the moment we hit the property until we left. Everything from food to tour arrangements to room services was handled with a smile and a hearty "con gusto".
We chose a premium room. The room was spacious and luxuriously appointed. There is a large patio almost 1/3 the size of the room and the patio doors open so wide, it almost converts the room into a lanai. Even in the middle of the day our room stayed cool enough to leave the doors open all day. The patio furniture is as nice as the furniture in the room itself. The bathroom is very spacious. We had an ocean view which is through the trees on lower floors. Parakeets, hummingbirds, and other types of tropical birds perched in the trees outside the room every morning. We saw Howler monkeys outside our room on 2 mornings. The patios are screened to discourage any unwelcome animal visitation. As far as sleep, the beds are very comfortable and the staff will get you a firmer pillow upon request. Our room had an electric clock which was ticking too loudly for me so I unplugged it. The following day the clock had been replaced with a silent one without any request on my part. The wildlife outside your room does tend to wake up early, but this was not a problem for us.
There are 2 beaches, one on the bay side and one on the Pacific side. The bay side beach also has the water sports like kayaking, sailing, and paddle boats. The Pacific side we thought was prettier. There are 3 pools. One large pool and then two smaller pools flanking the large one and one level below. The pool on the Pacific side is a "quiet" pool with less of a kid scene. The service at all beaches and pools was impeccable. There is a third beach which is a five minute shuttle ride away. The resort will take you there and bring you back whenever you want so it's more like having a private car take you back and forth. This is a beach club and has a infinity pool, and lap pool, and a large beach. There are 2 restaurants at the beach club, a sports bar and an upscale diner place.. We ate at both places and were very happy. The beach club is a great place to spend the day, have a drink watching the sun go down, and finish with a nice dinner. You can order lunch and have it brought to either beach or any pool.
This is also a very family friendly resort. There is a kids club and the resort manages to take care of the children and also give us old folks space as well.
The food resort wide was fantastic. Counting the steakhouse on the golf course and the restaurants at the beach club there are 7 places to eat. We ate at every one except Di Mare which is the Italian venue on the main property. We especially liked the Brazilian steakhouse and the Tico bar which serves small plates. The crispy pork belly at the Tico bar makes one think that it's a crime to make bacon out of pork belly. The steaks were also wonderful. I have always found this to be the case whenever I have eaten beef in Costa Rica and I suspect it's partly due to the fact that the cattle is grass fed. In any case the food was great and the restaurant service fantastic.
The resort will arrange a variety of tours off site. First of all though one need not go off site to see animals. We saw Iguanas, Chameleons, Frigate Birds, Vultures, Howler and Capuchin monkeys, all manner of tropical birds, and Pizotes (Think squirrel on steroids.) on the resorts nature trail. I spotted at least 5 species of raptor riding the thermals right over the beaches. We did a river tour which allowed us to get even nearer to the widlife. We also did a day of SCUBA diving. I must say that the dive operation is just excellent. However, the diving in Costa Rica is cold water and the visibility can be quite poor as it was on the day we went. I hear on a good day sharks, various species of ray, and schooling fish are commonly seen. We were just unlucky.
I read some comments on this site about the resort being expensive. Yes it is. It's like buying an expensive car. If you're buy a fancy car or you are going to come to a place like this, be prepared to pay for it. I think we got everything we paid for and more.
So is there any down side to the Nirvana described above? Just one and I'll say up front that this is a minor, minor issue that is in no way unique to this resort. In fact I found it the be the rule at most upscale resorts. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't understand why resorts of this caliber change (Overcharge to be frank.) for internet access. It seems to me that for the price paid access should be free or at least a minimal charge. We paid over $80 for 6 nights of access and while I did say above that if you come to a place like this be prepared to pay for it, I feel that if some properties of similar size can provide free access, then all the resorts should do it.
However, this is a minor, minor issue and there is free access in the lobby, and the business center.
Overall and by far the Four Seasons Peninsula Papagayo is one of the nicest resorts we have ever been to. If you want a relaxing week with 5 star service and great food all the way, then this place should be high on your list.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Galindenba
Reviewed 9 March 2010

The resort is incredible, the staff unbelievable, and Costa Rica is amazing and beautiful. I've stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and this was one of the best - you will not be disappointed!! We had an amazing time - our 18 month old son was with us and they could not have been more welcoming or accomodating - from bringing pack and plays to the pool for his nap, giving him special toys, having a diaper genie in our room, and even spelling out his name for him in sponges by the bath and constantly greeting him by name. The resort is beautiful, the concierge helpful and attentive, and the food was fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cgl13
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Peninsula Papagayo is a picture-perfect destination and this hotel is one of the jewels in Four Seasons global fleet. Service and food were incredible. Very kid-friendly resort and staff. Went in late Oct (end of "rainy" season) and had great weather and the run of the joint. The shoulder season is great time to go here (less expensive and less busy). Woke up to monkeys howling and toucans chirping outside our screened-in porch...our 5 year old daughter loved all the wildlife...was truly a vacation the entire family will never forget! We love to travel to new places but we would go back here in a heart beat. Worth every colón!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 27 February 2010

The architecture blends so beautifully with the tropical surroundings. We stayed here for 5 days and would highly recommend it. Expensive? Of course, but you know that going in. The pools are located so that you can easily swim in one of them and still be just steps from the ocean....either coveside or oceanside.

The rooms are quite nice and ours had a private porch complete with toaster and coffee maker :)

On two the mornings we were awakened by the howler monkeys in the trees just feet from the porch. All part of the local ambiance.

Staff is exceptional as is the food!

We rented a care and took a day trip to Playa del Coco; it's a nice way to see some of the local feel of Costa Rica.

Overall, an outstanding location.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank petermd4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 km away
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.8 km away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!