“Simply Outstanding”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 January 2018

My wife and I ate here last month and we were delighted with the experience, superb cuisine, excellent attentive service and a terrific selection of wines. Classy but not stuffy, elegant but not pretentious, places like this have inspired us to purchase a house in the region so a return visit is definitely on the cards. Also worth mentioning the friendly and considerate staff on the front desk, delightful, thank you everyone

Reviewed 28 November 2017

I’m going to admit that this is not only a review of the food at Le Vieux Logis, but of the state of cuisine gastronomique.

My husband and I had had a very busy day and did not feel like searching for a restaurant outside of the hotel so we ate in there. We also didn’t feel like going through the the rigors of a full menu so decided to order a la carte. We both ordered a salad and the fish.

But as is de rigueur for a restaurant claiming to serve cuisine gastronomique, we were first subjected to an amuse-bouche. I can’t even remember what it was, but as is often the case I didn’t eat it. If it was in line with most cuisine gastronomique, it probably consisted of overly fishy fish blended into a paste and served on a small slice of baguette. (More about the over use of blenders later.)

Then we received the salad. It was good. (I was soon to know it was the ONLY thing that was good.) The greens were fresh, lightly dressed and tasty.

Then we got what I used to know as a palate cleanser. Palate cleansers in days gone by were light things meant to remove lingering strong flavors so that you could enjoy the next course, but thanks to cuisine gastronomique, they have turned into exercises of just how strange a dish can the chef cook up. Le Vieux Logis did not disappoint in the weirdness category. We were served what appeared to be a microscopic baguette (about two inches long) with a itty bitty pieces of something salmon colored. I assume this was smoked salmon, but it tasted more like bacon. This was OK, not great. This was accompanied by an egg containing the same salmon colored bits in the bottom topped with another ubiquitous feature of cuisine gastronomique, a foam. This one was green. I skipped on this part of the dish.

After this, the main dish arrived. This was supposed to have been a mild fish, but I have no idea how the chef got the texture that we found in this fish. Fish is supposed to be light and flaky. This didn’t flake, but separated into slivers that had the consistency somewhere between gelatin and silly putty. I can’t even describe the taste. It wasn’t necessarily bad, it wasn’t necessarily good, but it didn’t taste like a mild fish.

This oddly prepared fish was served on top of a gray green puree. I have to assume that it was pureed artichokes because there were two very small slice of artichoke hearts on it. Once again, cuisine gastronomique had struck. Why chefs have such a perverse love of a food processor and feel the need to take perfectly good ingredients and whiz them into the consistency of baby food, I will never understand. I prefer my food to be recognizable, fresh, and simply prepared. By the time they finished with this particular preparation, for all I know this could be a mixture of all sorts of day or two old vegetables whizzed up, or it could in fact be baby food.

This repast was accompanied by a half bottle of reasonable local wine.

And for this simple (and pretty unsatisfying meal) we were charged about 150 euros for two. Yep, that’s right, 150 euros for 1/2 bottle of wine, two salads, two pieces of fish, two globs of whizzed up vegetables, and two mini courses that we never ordered.

Please deliver me from the restaurant at Le Vieux Logis in particular and cuisine gastronomique in general.

1  Thank JFMMBCanton_Georgia
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Our Sunday lunch was faultless .. Vincent and his team’ dishes are works of art, providing gourmands with dishes of outstanding taste. The canapés, amouse bouche & pré désert were as delicious as our chosen dishes.

We look forward to returning very soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

This is a restaurant truly deserving its Michelin star rating. Everything; its setting; the décor; the ambiance; the professionalism of the staff and of course the culinary delights offered make this one of, if not the best restaurant along the Dordogne. Faultless, fabulous and unforgettable.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Our group of cyclists were very pleased with the fixed menu we were served the last night of our two day stay at this hotel. The entree of our meal was chicken, but it, like every other component of the meal, was a different, enhanced version of anything we had had before.

The room is actually two adjoining rooms and are comfortable and delightful, although they are small. This configuration perhaps help control the noise level.

Certainly a reservation would be necessary. Beginning a meal with a cocktail in one of the lounges or the courtyard is a nice touch.

The service was excellent and the meal was well paced. This restaurant deserves it's high rankings.

The hotel is well located and parking is available. Save this for a special occasion. You won't regret it.