“Pleasant few hours”

Peak District Lead Mining Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Find out about the lead mining heritage of Derbyshire from Roman Times to the present. Interactive exhibits, mock tunnels and shafts to climb, moving models. The new Matlock Bath Through Time exhibition tells the story of a village that was one of the top Georgian Spas in the country. Then visit Temple Mine and find out what it was really like working underground followed by a try at gold panning. Suitable for all ages. Family ticket £20 (2A and 3C)
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We arrived at 11 did the museum and then the tour. The Museum is interesting and you could spend ages in there. They have pretend mines you can climb in and that was fun (probably was mostly there for kids, but who cares!). Then the tour around the mind was also interesting but the guide could have been more enthusiastic about it. It would be good if they could have an audio guide around the museum. All in all it is one of the best things in Matlock but Matlock isn't the most interesting of places. The whole museum could do with a bit more TLC on outside appearance because inside a lot of effort has been spent on it.

Date of experience: October 2017
PDMM, Manager at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the museum, we have considered audio guides however they are simply too expensive for a small museum to fund. We share your despair about the outside of the building housing the museum and have spoken to our landlords about it. Unfortunately there is nothing else we can do about it - but our part, as you say, is well cared for.

All reviews
"roman times"
in 4 reviews
"wide range of exhibits"
in 2 reviews
"lots of interesting stuff"
"kids loved exploring"
in 2 reviews
"short walk across the road"
"stair lift"
"sensible footwear"
"fantastic visit"
"knowledgeable guide"

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Having long had a fascination with Welsh Coal Mining, I thought that the Lead Mining Museum might be a bit tame, which shows you how wrong you can be. There is so much to see, ranging from models to actual artefacts, from as early as the 1700s. The use of graphics and sound-effects was quite inspiring, and added much to the experience. The scale of exhibits was tremendous, form small tools to huge winding wheels, gin-engines, pumps and cages. Every single display was not just in logical order and done in such a way that it explained the whole process, but in a style that even the layman could comprehend. We only had an hour and a half, (my fault), but I thoroughly recommend that you make a longer time available. The prices were unbelievably reasonable, the cafe served unpretentious brews at a sensible cost and the gift shop was well-stocked and thought out. Furthermore, the staff were really chatty, clued-up and very, very nice indeed. I have a feeling that I'd like to go back, which is the greatest accolade that I can think of. Many, many thanks.

Date of experience: October 2017

I am delighted that you found so much to enjoy in the museum! We are very proud of it and it is down to the hard work of volunteers over the 40 years that we have been open. I do hope you can visit again soon as we have a new interactive display to explain the water pressure engine which should be in place before Christmas.
I will make sure that your praise is passed on to all the people involved in the museum.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The Museum is conveniently located in the popular inland resort of Matlock Bath. The museum provides a wealth of information and large range of exhibits connected with the mining of Lead in the Peak District.

The museum is on 2 levels, the ground level is wheelchair accessible and the upper level can be reached by a stair lift on request to a member of staff.

The exhibits range from; large scale industrial machinery, for example; Beam Engines and, mine pumps through to smaller display cabinet housed exhibits. The museum will be of interest to young and old alike, for the children there is a maze simulating being in a mine, where they can walk, crawl and climb ladders etc behind hidden panels. There are also several interactive push button operated exhibits and a cab of a mechanical excavator which the young or older ones can sit in.

At the end of the exhibits there is a corridor towards the exit ( and Gift Shop ), which contains an impressive display of Rocks and Minerals in their native / mined natural state, displayed along the left hand wall.

Staff are friendly and helpful, located in the entrance foyer area of the museum.

For an additional cost, but good value for money, Underground trips can be taken in the nearby Temple Mine, a short walk across the road from the Museum, they are guided tours and run a maximum of 2 per opening day, usually at 12:00 and 14:00 hrs.

The Museum also has a small cafe and a gift shop in the entrance foyer, the gift shop has many; informative books on the Peak District, Mining related books, Rocks and Minerals and other related gifts available to buy.

All in all, a really worthwhile, interesting and great value for money museum to visit, at least my family think so, as my most recent visit on the August Bank Holiday week was our 5th visit.

Date of experience: August 2017
PDMM, Manager at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoy visiting year after year. Hopefully each time you visit you find something new to look at. If you are able to visit next year we will have the new family geology zone completed!

Reviewed 5 September 2017

My children, partner and I went for a day out in Matlock bath and came across this little gem and we absolutely loved it!

Its a lovely and quirky place and the staff are great, really friendly and helpful! Our tour guide Sam was wonderful and really knowledgeable, the kids are still asking when we can go back to see her! She makes a fab cup of tea for the adults too ;)

We had no prior knowledge of mining or geology and thought this was going to be more for the kids but Sam seems to have sparked off a new interest for my partner and me!

Couldn't recommend this place enough it was a great visit and good value for money, thanks again Sam :)

Date of experience: August 2017
PDMM, Manager at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you very much for leaving this review. I am pleased to hear the whole family enjoyed the visit - I will pass your comments on to Sam. We look forward to seeing you all again soon.