Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Hidden gem

A day visit to Matlock Bath with a visit to both Temple Mine and to the museum. Spent a good hour... read more

Reviewed 31 October 2018
MandL-OM
Merstham, United Kingdom
via mobile
Fantastic visit

We spent a wonderful morning/ afternoon at this little museum and mine. The staff were friendly and... read more

Reviewed 28 October 2018
Jean P
Dunstable, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews panning for gold hard hats peak district pan for gold wide range of exhibits lots of interesting stuff kids loved exploring short walk across the road stair lift guided tour great fun value for money fantastic visit knowledgeable guide grown ups rainy day staff were very friendly
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

I popped in here for medical help after my 5 year old bumped his head. The lady on the door was amazing helping me out and my son heard her explaining the museum to someone else and wanted to go in. It was fabulous for children with interactive sections and a fun finding trail to keep him interested. Thank you so much. Cannot wait to go back with my husband.

Date of experience: October 2017
PDMM, Director of Sales at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2017

Thankyou for your lovely review, we are glad that you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

A nice little museum that is interesting. Built into the walls are some 'mines' that children (and adults - though it's a squash) can explore. Museum itself has plenty to see and read. Some of our party did the mine tour as well and they thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed above ground as we had a pram and two dogs with us. Would recommend the cafe next door too!

Date of experience: October 2017
PDMM, Manager at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

I am pleased to hear that you all enjoyed the museum. The pretend mine tunnels and climbing shafts are certainly a challenge for adults but are the size the lead miners often worked in!
I hope you will able to visit us again soon as we are always busy developing displays.
Thank you for leaving this review.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Visited with 3 kids (5,6 &8). Very friendly & welcoming, our 3 kids loved it. There are pretend mine tunnels & ladders within the museum which ours thought were brilliant, and there are 10 hidden mice dotted about to spot. If you get the chance, lots of interesting stuff for grown ups to look at too about the local geology and industry.

Definitely worthwhile getting the Temple mine tour. Knowledgeable guide clearly interested and passionate in her subject. Be warned though, it will be wet and cloggy with clay (whatever the weather I suspect)! The kids loved the 'panning for gold' at the end!

A locally run museum that doesn't have the money to have any really flashy stuff, but what they've got is really well done and very good value.

Date of experience: October 2017
PDMM, Manager at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

It is always lovely to hear that children have enjoyed the museum and even better when the parents have had a chance to read something as well!
I hope that you will be able to visit again soon.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We arrived at 11 did the museum and then the tour. The Museum is interesting and you could spend ages in there. They have pretend mines you can climb in and that was fun (probably was mostly there for kids, but who cares!). Then the tour around the mind was also interesting but the guide could have been more enthusiastic about it. It would be good if they could have an audio guide around the museum. All in all it is one of the best things in Matlock but Matlock isn't the most interesting of places. The whole museum could do with a bit more TLC on outside appearance because inside a lot of effort has been spent on it.

Date of experience: October 2017
PDMM, Manager at Peak District Lead Mining Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the museum, we have considered audio guides however they are simply too expensive for a small museum to fund. We share your despair about the outside of the building housing the museum and have spoken to our landlords about it. Unfortunately there is nothing else we can do about it - but our part, as you say, is well cared for.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

Having long had a fascination with Welsh Coal Mining, I thought that the Lead Mining Museum might be a bit tame, which shows you how wrong you can be. There is so much to see, ranging from models to actual artefacts, from as early as the 1700s. The use of graphics and sound-effects was quite inspiring, and added much to the experience. The scale of exhibits was tremendous, form small tools to huge winding wheels, gin-engines, pumps and cages. Every single display was not just in logical order and done in such a way that it explained the whole process, but in a style that even the layman could comprehend. We only had an hour and a half, (my fault), but I thoroughly recommend that you make a longer time available. The prices were unbelievably reasonable, the cafe served unpretentious brews at a sensible cost and the gift shop was well-stocked and thought out. Furthermore, the staff were really chatty, clued-up and very, very nice indeed. I have a feeling that I'd like to go back, which is the greatest accolade that I can think of. Many, many thanks.

Date of experience: October 2017

I am delighted that you found so much to enjoy in the museum! We are very proud of it and it is down to the hard work of volunteers over the 40 years that we have been open. I do hope you can visit again soon as we have a new interactive display to explain the water pressure engine which should be in place before Christmas.
I will make sure that your praise is passed on to all the people involved in the museum.