“Great Night!”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2018

We were recommended this restaurant for my daughter's 40th birthday! Well, we weren't disappointed! We went on a Monday night and the restaurant was relatively quiet. The atmosphere, food and service were excellent. My sons are big meat eaters and they were more than satisfied with the servings. The meat came with a serving of potatoes and salad and they had hot vegetables on their plate. We were too full to have sweets but the restaurant gave us complimentary baklava with sparklers to celebrate my daughter's birthday. We had a great night and will be going back for my birthday.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

This greek restaurant serves great good but it is small, the seating is crowded & depending on the patrons...can be so noisy it ruins your dining experience. Staff are friendly & service is quick. Not an extensive mains menu but what is on offer is delicious. If being able to have a conversation over dinner is important to you, be sure not to be seated near large groups or choose a quiet night

Reviewed 8 April 2018

Our friends had raved about Agapi and insisted that this was the place to go for good Greek food

Having now had a meal there, I think that this restaurant has put the Melbourne art of good dining back about 50 years

Table for 4 booking for 7.30, but on arrival total confusion by the staff as to whether or not we had a booking and if so, where we were to sit. The front table I think were asked to move, and we were seated right at the door opening-not a good start I thought, as the weather was anything but warm.

On one side of the restaurant was a large table for about 24 who were there to celebrate a birthday or some occasion and if they were loud at the beginning they just got louder as the evening moved along and we had no hope of hearing ourselves think or speak. Why this group could not have been given a different area, maybe upstairs, is unknown, but to have people virtually screaming and laughing at a fever pitch for most to the night, is no way to try to enjoy any sort of food.

Speaking of the food, it was like being stuck in the 60's and showed no sense of refinement. To start, a plate of dips, just a few spoons on a plate. Enough for one, maybe two, but certainly not for four. Could not score on presentation.

Mains was a lamb souvlaki for one party and chicken souvlaki for another. Just pieces of meat on a plate with a bit of uninspiring salad and a few not so crisp chips. If this is supposed to be restaurant quality, it leaves a lot to be desired.

For 2 of the party,moussaka, served with green beans that had been shredded and boiled to death. A couple of pieces of insipid potatoes. Everything on the plate was steaming-I wonder if it had been heated in the micro wave?

As soon as mains were finished, it was time to make an exit. Stepped outside, took some deep breathes and shook the head to clear the ears from all the noise that had been our experience for the last hour and a half.

Would I return-I don't think so. I want my culminary experiences to move forward, not backwards

1  Thank alan r
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We are repeat visitors to Agapi, enjoying the meze options on offer.
Recommend the dip/pita selection dish and the haloumi in particular.
We ordered Calamari last time and sadly it was tough, the owner replaced immediately explaining the batch was of lower quality than they hoped for. The replacement was no better...BUT we commend Agapi for the upfront honest approach. We completely get that this IS NOT a reflection on the kitchen and will return to order the calamari (which was great previously) and other yummy offerings. Also, $9 for 500ml retsina...what's not to like ??

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

On a very warm Saturday night we booked Agapi and took the option of sitting outside. The staff were attentive and took drink orders quickly. We ate the saganaki and dips. Both were very good. Shared the mixed souvlaki, pan fried calamari and grilled scallops. All were spot on. The accompanying Greek salad was very good too. The meals are not huge and we left feeling well fed and not bloated. Didn't have room for dessert. Definitely will be coming back.