All reviews spa suite villa romantica costa rica other guests our honeymoon mangrove tour tree house zip lining howler monkeys every meal whale's tail san jose every morning an adventure rainy season unique experience total relaxation
Reviewed 21 November 2017

This is an exceptional place to relax. Very exclusive and the service is remarkable.
The entire stay is an experience. Even the way to the hotel an adventure.
The staff was very kind and attentive.
100% recommended.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RanchoPacifico, Owner at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Hi Alfonso - Thanks for taking time to write about Rancho Pacifico. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us so much. I hope you will come back to see us again soon. We are making many improvements to the hotel, so next time it will be an even better experience! - Mark

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I researched and planned this Girls trip for myself and my three other girl friends to celebrate a birthday and just some quality alone time without kids and family. I was looking for somewhere back to nature, relaxing, quiet, fun and advantageous, and at the same time provides luxury room and services. Rancho Pacifico (RP) was everything and more than I expected.
To start, after I found RP on web, I called to ask a lot of questions as I have never been to Costa Rica nor have I ever staying in this unique kind of boutique resort. They were so helpful, answered all my questions, give me recommendations, and follow emails when it comes close to our travel date to ensure all my questions are answered and ready to travel.
We loved the resort, it is tucked away in a rain forest, if you are driving yourself, you need to have a 4X4 car to get up to the resort (I LOVE the drive!!!) Once you get into the gate, you arrived to an unbelievable beautiful rain forest luxury Jungle resort.
Staff are SOOOO friendly, each and everyone are there to serve you, and do whatever they can to customize what ever you want. During our visit, they made special trips down to the mountain to get the things we forgot to bring, made birthday dinner with special cake for us, and everyday, they show us their menu for next day, and if you wanted something else, just let them know, as they shop for fresh ingredients everyday, and cook from scratch. EVERY plate they served (B/L/D) are unique, beautiful plated and excellent taste!
It is a boutique resort, therefore, it is VERY secluded and you feel you have the whole mountain all to yourself and team of people to serve you!!
It is like a fairy tale, we enjoyed every moment of it!
Shout out to the new owners - Mark and Marlo, they are updating and making these Dream Come True Villas even better.
Thank you from bottom of our hearts for making this trip memorable and wonderful for all of us!
My husband and I will be going back soon to celebrate our anniversary!
Till then, take care!
Sherry, Emily, Stephanie and Jenny

Room tip: No worries, all the villas are very exclusive, although, villa further away from the entry the less noise from human.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Chao-Hrenek
RanchoPacifico, Owner at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Hi Sherry - thanks so much for taking the time to write such a kind review! We certainly enjoyed hosting your rainforest getaway and special birthday celebration. It was a lot of fun talking with you and getting to know each of you a little. We are also looking forward to meeting your husband and helping with your anniversary celebration! We'll keep making Rancho Pacifico a little better every day so our returning guests are always delighted by the improvements! - Mark

Reviewed 2 November 2017

I didn't expect to fall in love with the tropical rainforest of Costa Rica, but I did! The lush, green foliage, the pacific ocean views, the beautiful birds, and yes, even the eery cries of the Howler monkeys appealed to me. I loved the adventurous hiking and the boat tour through the mangroves during the day, and then relaxing at the bar and dining room during the evening. The cocktails and food were fabulous, served by the kindest, most accommodating of staff. The views in the mornings, from my comfortable bed, were spectacular! I was able to enjoy the pool and a massage while I was there. I truly felt that I had escaped the real world for just a little while. Can't wait to return again soon!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
RanchoPacifico, Owner at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2017

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review! We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to Rancho Pacifico. I think we enjoyed it as much as you did! Not many visitors to Costa Rica are as lucky as you were to see all four of our native monkey species! As new owners, we especially appreciate the helpful thoughts and suggestions you shared while you were here. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon! -Mark

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

We visited Rancho Pacifico in early September - the rainy season and boy did it rain. Our visit coincided with extreme weather conditions in the Caribbean and neighbouring countries which had a residual effect on Costa Rica albeit nowhere near as devastating. Remarkably the rain, low cloud and thunderstorms did nothing to dampen our spirits or detract from the truly dreamlike Rancho P. Somehow, just being there makes everything alright!

So, if you are put off by visiting during the rainy season, don't be. We still managed to accomplish everything on our bucket list, working our schedule around the morning sun and dryer weather. Zip lining, Nat Geo tour, surfing and trekking were all enjoyed in warm, dry weather. Cocktails, spa massages and total relaxation were indulged in during the afternoon when the rain visited. All arranged seamlessly by the reception team, flanked by Mia the resident dog and in our case regular house guest!

Something we organised for ourselves was a nighttime visit to Reserva Playa Tortuga, the Sea Turtle Reserve. This is a largely voluntary outfit that patrols the beach to gather eggs and take them to a nearby hatchery to increase their survival possibilities. We spent two hours on our watch, didn't see turtles but the previous day a batch had been released successfully which is also something you can attend. Check out their website if you are a turtle fanatic, they are an organisation doing a great job. Take wet shoes and long trousers and don't be put off by the night time drive along dark roads.

As mentioned in numerous earlier posts, a 4 by 4 is essential!

We didn't get bitten once! That's not to say don't go prepared but we were surprised by the shortage of hungry mosquitoes. We had the odd 6 legged visitor but marvelled at them as they were so different to our bland British species. Of course leaving the door open is an invitation to enter so it's up to you.

We stayed in Villa Tropical; private and relaxing - sleeps four but well suited to our family of three as the upstairs room has less amenities however it is compensated by a stunning view. Everyone we spoke to was delighted with their room so I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the accommodation.

The staff are outstanding and the service is bespoke. Our waitress Anna paid close attention to detail, listened carefully to understand our individual dining preferences and made us feel special. They have eyes in the back of their head 'and recognise your needs before you do! Other guests we met were charming and on a repeat visit - it is easy to understand why.

The whole experience is understated comfort - nothing 'bling' or ostentatious just tranquil and gracious. Dress code appeared to be casual elegance but no pressure to impress! There are idiosyncrasies that go with a tropical rainforest environment, for example damp clothing but this is Mother Nature's doing not the resort's failing.

During our stay we had the pleasure of meeting the new owners, Marlo and Mark Leaman. They left us in no doubt that they are dedicated to making their customers' experiences memorable. They listened and genuinely sought to understand what their guests are looking for. Within moments of sharing feedback, they had addressed a 'cultural' issue and sent mugs to our room for a British cup of tea! We understand that mugs are now on their shopping list. They shared snippets of their vision for RP and certainly have plans that will enhance it without compromising the understated magic.

If you care to eat away from RP then try Laurelles at the bottom of the hill for a very different but authentic experience. Simple, home made Costa Rican food prepared by Cindy at reasonable prices - good for lunch of for an evening bite if you can tear yourself away from Vianni's cocktails!

Would we return? A resounding yes. We stayed for 5 nights, about right but a few more days would have been even better. It's a good 4 hour drive from San Jose and it's best to do it in daylight hours so do factor that in to your stay. You will love it!

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
RanchoPacifico, Owner at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Moose4 - Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Rancho Pacifico. We really appreciate the time you spent to share your experience with future travelers. We certainly enjoyed hosting your family and chatting with all of you. Your thoughtful suggestions are already making RP a better place! Looking forward to your return. -Mark

Reviewed 11 October 2017

Unfortunately our vacation was cut short at Rancho Pacifico due to a tropical storm brought on by Hurricane Nate, but I am so grateful to the kind-hearted staff who went well above and beyond to ensure our safety and well being. I cannot find the words to describe how amazing Mark, Alex, Vianney, David, Natalia and the rest of the staff handled the situation by relocating us, keeping our personal items safe and seeing personally that we made our return flight on time. Appreciation also goes to Ana and Karla for their attentive service and Don Jose, the kind man of the land :)

The few days we did have there were very relaxing and comfortable. Our treehouse was serviced twice daily, and kept spotless! We enjoyed our morning hikes through the jungle, workouts in the gym, delicious coffee in the morning and fresh cuisine meals. Overall, we were definitely spoiled by the staff to guest ratio!

As desperately as I wanted to make my way home, it was bittersweet saying goodbye to these wonderful souls and the experience we had all been through.

I am already excited to start planning for our next trip back to RP and look forward to more delicious (vegetarian) meals, tasty cocktails, rainforest hikes and reconnecting with new friends!

Mark and Marlo, you definitely have found a treasure in the trees with the most amazing staff!! Costa Rica feels like my home away from home and I hope to return again soon!!

I wish you all the best in your new endeavour and thank you again for your constant contact and kind hearts.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
RanchoPacifico, Owner at Rancho Pacifico, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Although it was very disappointing that the tropical storm cut short your visit, we are all thankful and relieved that none of our guests were injured. The silver lining is that it gives you a perfect excuse to plan another trip! We certainly look forward to seeing you again soon here at Rancho Pacifico. -Mark