“Best restaurant we've ever been to”
Review of The Athenian House

The Athenian House
Ranked #7 of 42 Restaurants in Imerovigli
Price range: US$34 - US$114
Description: The Athenian House offers an unforgettable gourmet experience based on creative Greek cuisine. Famous chef Dimitris Skarmoutsos, has created an extraordinary menu, complemented by sophisticated wine, champagne and spirits list, proposed by oenologist Panos Zouboulis. Enjoy a memorable gastronomical journey throughout different regions of Greece, rich in flavors, aromas & nutritional values.
Reviewed 29 June 2018

This is absolutely the best restaurant in Santorini and the best restaurant we've ever been to! (And we went to a lot of great restaurant)

There is nothing that we didn't love at this place, whether if it's the food, view, staff, and atmosphere.

I can't remember the names of the first dishes but one of them was like a green Hummus made out of peas I think and it was smoky. It was served beautifully in a transparent jar and when the waitress opened it then all the smoke went out.

Another first dish was made out of tomato sauce, some kinds of cheeses and pastry.

My boyfriend, which is not vegetarian, took a main course of pork with peppers (I don't exactly remember) and he liked it a lot.

I took the 'fish of the day' although I don't really like fishes but it was still great!.
It was served with beans in a tomato sauce.

Food:
.The food here was amazing. All dishes are so special and unique
There is not a lot of options for vegetarian but it didn't stopped me to enjoy the food.

Desert:
The desert will blow your mind. They are all so unique and absolutely amazing.
We had both deserts -
One of them was the "Baklava" which has a little twist - There was delicious peanut butter mixed with chocolate between the layers and it was decorated with salted caramel.
If you go there you MUST try this one !!

Another desert we had was the chocolate ball. It was a ball made out of chocolate and when you get it the waitress poured a hot salted caramel on it so the ball melted.
The result was a mix of milk chocolate with salted caramel, peanuts, white lemon chocolate and a lot of good stuff.

Location:
At first it wasn't so easy to find the restaurant because there are no signs on the streets and the taxi couldn't make it to the exact place of the restaurants due to Santorini's roads.
But we are glad that it took us some time to find the restaurant because that way we could explore Imerovigli a bit and could enjoy the stunning view with the most relaxing atmosphere EVER!

The restaurant is located near the "Sophia Suites" hotel and it has the most beautifull sunset in whole Santorini, I guaranty you !
We've watched the sunset from our private pool in Fira, from Kastro walls in Oia and from another stunning restaurant in Fira, but none of them could compare to the sunset from that amazing location.
This place is so romantic and when you're there you just wants to cry from happiness.

Staff:

The best part was the staff of the restaurant.
They were so lovely and their service consciousness is one of a kind.
The waitresses were soooo nice and kind, they explained us everything we asked them about it the menu and they also explained about every detail in the dishes they served to us.
The waitresses also helped a lot of people to get great pictures - whether if there was pictures of the people in the sunset view or taking pictures of the food to their Instagram.!
Also the restaurant's Chef came to us a lot of times, explained about the dishes and
talked to us and he was so polite and kind.
They also spoiled us with digestifs and they gave us a key chain as a souvenir.

Cost:
This restaurant is not the cheapest but it definitely has value for the money.
We took 2 first dishes, 2 main courses, 2 deserts, 2 glasses of champagne, one bottle of .water, one bottle of sparkly water and we also got two glasses of digestifs on the house
All of that costs us 125 eur!!!!

General:
All of the cutlery were made out of real silver and the knifes were self sharpened. Glasses were made out of crystals.

For the Athenian House staff: thank you for an amazing experience.
Can't wait to come back!

2  Thank agatlevi96

Reviewed 28 June 2018

What I imagine "fine dining" would constitute in Santorini - incredible caldera views, so watching the sunset here is recommended! Food is Greek, but well crafted with a continental European influence. Good local wines. Fantastic service, blankets and all.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

This place was right near our hotel so we stopped to eat one night without reservations and the hostess quickly sat us at a table with a nice view of Imerovigli. The chef gave us a complimentary starter and it was delicious. I had the fish of the day and my husband had the deconstructed Gyro, both were really good but I highly recommend ordering seafood!

1  Thank Camille H
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

What an amazing dining experience! Not only, do you have the incredible sunset view, the Greek Master Chef and a wine list that is superb. What tops it off is the amazing attention from the staff. The owner, the hostess and the waitstaff were all individually exceptional. We had a table booked outside on a night where the heavens opened up, automatically the whole team worked to ensure each table were looked after, with complementary sparking wine and created space inside out of the rain!

Personal attention from the owner himself alongside post diner aperitifs was a nice touch to end an evening of amazing food!

Must book to avoid not experiencing a superb place!

1  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Came here in May with my husband for dinner. Enjoyed a very unique spin on the Greek classics.
The deconstructed cheese pie was delish. We also had the octopus appetizer, lamb chop, pork chop, and the baklava which was amazing.
Service was good. It was a bit chilly, so the waitress brought me over a throw to keep me warm, which was nice.
My only note to add is that the place is super hard to find at night. We went on a wild goose chase looking for it. Almost gave up but we’re glad we didn’t!