“ASTRA Apartments in Santorini a magic experience”
Review of Astra Suites

Astra Suites
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Imerovigli
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I just came back from my trip to Santorini and the stay at ASTRA was un incredible excellent magical experience. The location is excellent, staff superlative, Hotel Suites are stunning beautiful. Evrything is serrounded from a quiet sense of peace and relax.
Really a unique experience.
I strongly reccomend it to everybody.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,471)

Reviewed 28 May 2009

The Astra is sheer perfection. My suite was enormous with a balcony jacuzzi which was designed to look directly at the sunset. (was told by other tourists that the sunset from the jacuzzi was the best on the island). The resort is beautiful, basically everything is done in simple elegance allowing complete luxury while at the same time not overwhelming the remarkable natural beauty of the island.

The staff, especially as the front desk, was extremely helpful. I did not plan one function the entire week I was in Santorini, but rather approached the front desk every evening and explained what I wanted to do and had it all prepared for me by the next morning. I had two sailing trips, ATV rental, meals and other functions planned. Furthermore, all advise I received with regards to the island by the staff was always to our benefit rather than to the hotel's.

On a last note: The Astra is an expensive property to stay at--however, it is worth every penny. After 6 days and 5 nights at the Astra, I am completely satisfied with its value and would never hesitate to do it all over again.

Truly the greatest vacation of my life.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 14 May 2009

Having a house in Santorini but still chosing to stay to a hotel says it all....The only place i feel so pampered i never want to go away...Stayed in a suite with a private pool overlooking the volcano...the best sunset of my life from this balcony!! Impecable service...you just wonder how the staff can move so fast, how they already know what you want before you realise you want it and still remain discrete...i needed desperately a relaxing escape from my every day routine and i knew that only there i could find my peace and refill my batteries! well i got much more than i expected...the food was amazing, the amenities in the room and bathroom impressive...had just bought from the airport my clarins cremes when i realised that the full set of these amenities were offered from the hotel and were already in my bathroom! There was also something else that really impressed me, there was a wedding dinner taking place one of the evenings i was there...could see the preparations and elegant people moving around the pool...but could'nt hear anything at all!!! i was not disturbed throught my stay not even once from anything! what can i say.....only 3 days there and it felt like a week of holiday...strongly reccomend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2009

From the genuine warm welcome from George to his friendly helpful assistant, Valentina, we could not have had better attention or a better experience. We had a senior suite overlooking Skaros, the volcanoe, and Ia. What could be better than that! We would love to return--maybe later in May on in the autumn for warmer weather.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onthego17Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2009

First of all....

Santorini is amazingly beautiful. You might not think so on your way from the airport on a cold night in April, but by the time you wake up the next morning to your caldera view and the sun just warming up on your patio---that's the moment that you'll "get it." I am in the tour industry and travel the world. I have to say that Santorini is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

The Astra Apartments are special. The view of the mantle (the big mountain of a rock you see in all of the pictures) is spectacular from the Astra property, and better yet, you have easy access to the hiking path to it and around it (since it's literally right in front of you). There's actually an old Greek church you can hike to on the other side of the mantle which is not visible from the apartments.

The service here at the Astra is impeccable, really. It's five star service. They have computers you can borrow for your room, wireless service (as well as plug-in network lines), a lovely breakfast served on your patio each morning, and a staff that really seems to care what sort of time you are having. Chris, the bartender, is terrific. He's got some great tips on things to do and is interesting and fun to talk to. He also makes a great drink. My husband commented that the service here is "invisible," meaning, you don't see people running around and cleaning or making a big "to do." Things are just done quietly and efficiently.

The pool is nice, although it is too cold to swim right now.. And the bar area is small but pretty and the views are...well, unbelievable.

If you're wondering when to come here....There's a season for everyone, I think. We're here at the end of April and the beginning of May. The nights are windy and cold and the mornings are cold, as well. But you pack a wind breaker and some fleece and you deal with it. Santorini is not overrun this time of year (like it is in the summer), so there's plenty of room to stretch out and make some of the places here your own. The afternoons are very warm and there are a few people at the beach...and we're all sunburned...so the whole day isn't cold and uncomfortable. It's perfect hiking weather, if not beach weather. If I were to come back again, though, I'd come back on June 7th or so and stay nine days. It would be warmer, but still, fewer crowds. Truthfully, this isn't the "season" in Santorini, but it's less expensive now and more navigable.

The first day we were here ,we walked the Aegean Sea Path from the Astra all the way to Oia. It's more than 7 KM, but what an amazing way to get to know your own back yard the first day. The view changes every five steps and the reward is so worth your efforts. It's not a hard hike, but a long one...about two and a half hours if you don't stop every other step to take a picture. Oia is absolutely beautiful. I'd compare it to Santa Fe in the United States. When we got there, I actually lamented that we didn't stay there at first, but I got over that after a while. I like staying between Fira and Oia. You can choose one or the other for dinner, sightseeing, etc. You're almost half way between each. If you're the sort of person, however, who likes to be in the main stream of things, though, you might prefer to stay in Oia. I prefer it over Fira, though Fira is absolutely amazing, too. I think Oia is the more sophisticated sister of Fira.

We rented a jeep because we planned to see the whole island during our week here. If you're at all squeemish about curvy mountain roads or close calls, then don't rent a car. But the truth is, after one day or so, you'll be driving like a Greek. (which is to say you'll be somewhat crazy and unyielding to tourists as you go.) But we adjusted and did very well.

Another highlight is the Volcan Wine Museum. I think it is a "must see." Being in a career that has me visiting a lot of museums, I can tell they've put a lot of thought and effort into this museum, which traces the history of wine on the island. At the end, they have a beautiful tasting room, where we enjoyed the white much more than the red. They also have some decent gifts compared to some of the main stream tourist areas. Check out the curved wood wine holders, where a bottle of wine balances the holder. They're made of olive wood and make a lovely gift for 19 euros.

My best recommendation is Dimitri's in the bay at the end of Oia for sunset and dinner. George, the owner of Astra, recommended it, and it was our favorite place to dine. Absolutely spectacular and the fish was incredibly fresh. Joy, owner and wife to Dimitri, is a Canadian and has a great personality along with a lot of great stories. It's hard to find... get good directions..but once you find it, you'll be absolutely thrilled. It's tucked in along a row of restaurants at sea level beneath Oia. It was our most expensive meal but well worth it.

The hike to the mantle (the big rock in front of the hotel) is like every view here--breathtaking, and worth the hour or so investment. What's nice about staying at the Astra is that it is located on an old cobblestone path that goes either to Fira or Oia and straddles the cliffs along the way to both. There are restaurants and taverns located on the path and you feel as if you are journeying in old ancient Greece as you walk along. If you travel the path to Fira at night, be sure you ask for a flashlight from the front desk as it is not lit.

Ancient Thira--the archaelogical site--is worth the trip! It's a crumbling city that started sometime before the 9th Century BC. It's quite amazing to walk around the ruins. I don't think tour buses can traverse the steep and winding path to the top, so we were pretty much alone there on the mountaintop. Beautiful views and the site is free---at least when we were there. Afterwards, head down to Kamari beach and have lunch along the black sand at an outdoor patio. As of this writing, Akrotiti--the other archaeological site, is still closed.

George, the owner of the Astra is a wonderful hotelier. The rooms are fairly simple but sweet; we were very comfortable during our stay.

We really enjoyed the Astra and very much recommend it. Santorini was a lovely vacation spot....unforgettable.

Recommedations: Get a real gyro at McDaniels in Fira. Delicious, inexpensive and quick.

Try a tomato ball--- a deep fried tomato. Sounds weird, but it's actually delicious.

Shop around a lot before you purchase.

Study your restaurants before you get to Santorini. There are a lot of overpriced tourist traps here----and there's so much good food...so get to the right place.

If you come in early spring--prepare to be cold at times. Bring a warm jacket, especially some type of a wind breaker. There were a few days in which we could have hung out at the pool, so pack for anything.

Get in shape before leaving home. Santorini is really made up of a series of steps--- up and down, up and down all day...so don't come here fresh from your couch.

Try to pack well. A pair of sunglasses, suntan lotion---all these things cost more here (transport to the island makes things expensive).

Buy a few bottles of wine when you get here for your room. They have refrigerators...also, grab some pistachio nuts (grown here!) some fresh bread and Santorini cheeses and of course, olives, so you can have a little cocktail party before you go out.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Margot62
Also consider these accommodations in or near Imerovigli
2.6 km away
Santorini Princess
Santorini Princess
#7 of 51 in Imerovigli
0.4 km away
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
0.2 km away
Altana Traditional Houses and Suites
1.5 km away
Anteliz Suites
Anteliz Suites
#3 of 81 in Fira
1.2 km away
Rocabella Santorini Hotel & Spa

Been to Astra Suites? Share your experiences!