“Boring and tired - don't waste your money”
Review of Wookey Hole Caves

Wookey Hole Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: A series of caves that sheltered Stone Age people.
Reviewed 30 March 2018

website made the caves look amazing. In the middle of a very pretty village and plenty of free parking. Queue for tatty paper tickets then a ridiculous queue to get into caves. You can hire buggies for £10 but the caves are completely inappropriate for buggies you'd spend longer clipping the kids in and out of the buggy for them to be worth it. We came early on Good Friday and were probably the 2nd tour of the day so "only" queued for about 20 minutes to get in. When we came out the queue was ridiculous. Tour was too slow and very tedious. People chatting (not the guide's fault) but if they wan't people to listen they need mics. The information they gave could have been on plaques or a guidebook rather than a tour. I was bored out of my skull. Cost us nearly £50 for two adults and a 4 year old for the day. You can spend less than that and get a year's membership to SS Great Britain. The 4D cinema show was a whole world of weird. It's themed as a witches spell gone wrong but after a long introduction involving a witch and a bat you go into a cinema where they show Ice Age in 4D??? WTF? Our 4 year old loved the soft play and as we visited on a miserable rainy day it was a godsend. We had 2 sausage rolls and 2 cups of tea and it cost us over £10. The Victorian arcade is charming but I am sorry we came here. Filled a day but I'd have rather gone back to another museum in Bristol paid the same and had a better time. Don't go.

WookeyHole, Manager at Wookey Hole Caves, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Dear Alisonbielecka,
Thank you for your recent review and sorry to learn you felt your visit was boring – Wookey Hole is not normally described as boring, with over 20 attractions to make your way around, there is something for most age groups and interests, including the circus show, adventure golf, paper making demonstrations, caves and cave diving museums, mirror maze, new animatronic dinosaurs, dino dig and more. We hope you got to see and do all of these things. Our caves have over 200 steps throughout the tour, with uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces. We provide this information on our website and on arrival at the ticket desk. For those with young children and pushchairs, further details are given when purchasing tickets. We try to make the experience as accessible and easy as possible for all visitors, with the option of hiring a light-weight buggy or leaving their own buggy in a designated area. The 4D cinema is a huge hit with visitors, who welcome the chance to see different films through the year on repeat visits. We are sorry if you felt there was no link from the pre-show to the film, however the pre-show is linked to our caves and witch theme and the film is linked to our dinosaur valley. We are glad you enjoyed the wizard’s play castle, and also hope you saw the pirate zap zone too. We pride ourselves on the fact we offer something different – caves and a whole host of exciting attractions. We aim to introduce something new each year to keep the Park fresh and alive. Thank you once again for taking the time to give your review.

Regards
Wookey Hole

Write a ReviewReviews (3,405)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"mirror"
in 609 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018

The kid's have always wanted to visit the cave's at Wookey Hole, so a trip was planned. After trying to get through small village of Wookey we were greeted with the start of our day. The sign at Wookey looked like it had been there since the day someone found the caves.

After being pointed in the direction of the friendly parking staff we started our day. As expected we were in a que straight away, this must be the smallest entrance booth I've ever seen. Supplied with what seems like the most incompetent staff ever, the attitude and lack of fun coming from the staff was a sign for the rest of the day.

Sit down a second before I break the worst part, 'IT'S SO EXPENSIVE' for a family of 4 it cost us £60.00 WTF. This better be amazeballs for this kind of entrance fee, so our journey began after I finished looking at the receipt that should be made of gold.

One thing I noticed was the lack of signs and structure around the complex, we walked around and around for what felt like the time it took to form the caves. Oddly I felt like I had seen nothing other than someone make a bit of paper and a load of crappy mannequins on a bit of string. Then there's the amusements, what a waste of time, what does this have to do with the caves, it just looked like a load of old crappy games. The kids thought the mirrors were fun but that was it.

The shows we wanted to see were rammed, or so we thought until we realised it was everyone who thought it was going to be good and then realising its not and trying to leave. Then there was the 3d cinema, this seemed like a good concept, bit of a long way of getting to the actual cinema but its tolerable. Until we were given the glasses which looked like they were from the 50s, dirty and scratched so bad you were lucky to see anything.

Which brings me to the caves, the first thing we were greeted with was the longest que ever. This is fine for me but the amount of Kids that were getting shouted at to stand still was shocking, this was pointless and could be thought about a bit more. I'd like to have seen someone chat to you on the way in or some form of entertainment to help pass the time.

Once inside the caves we loved it, seeing all the colours and the detailed speech from the staff was great. What i never understood though was the tour was quite quick, so why were we stood in the que for so long.

Other than that, if you want to look around some duff old amusements, have some old crappy signs lead you the wrong way and see a few caves after spending 3hrs in a que listening to parents tell the kids to shut up. Then this is the day out for you, or go to the beach and enjoy the sand.

1  Thank realreactionsuk
Reviewed 29 March 2018

The caves here maybe in my top few favourites, me and my dad have been to most of the main show caves in Britain.
Definitely wear boots, or trainers, it is a bit of a steep walk to the cave entrance and inside can be slippy.
Do bring your camera, you will be amazed. I would say maybe 3 hours for the caves and other attractions, of which there are Dinosaurland; a mirrormaze; Victorian pier games; a caving museum; 4d cinema; and a crazy golf. A brilliant time to be had.

2  Thank fayesviews
Reviewed 25 March 2018

went Friday 23 march very interesting how you have a guide taking you through the caves very good would go again

1  Thank wiss j
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

So, the caves are spectacular and our guide, Mark, was a font of knowledge. Beautifully lit chambers and lots of photo opportunities! It's a steady uphill walk from where you pay. However, wear steady shoes/boots. It was very wet and slippery but there were rails to hold onto. There are sections where you need to bend low so not ideal if you have a bad back. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, there are raised gangways that could unnerve someone not good with heights. In all, there are 70 steps up and 115 steps down, some of which are unevenly spaced. Now, I'm very overweight and coped fine but I do think this kind of information needs to be made available under FAQs.

There's a lot on site although I really came just for the caves. And it really was an amazing experience.

3  Thank tentgirl