“Off the beatin path”
Review of Pelican Bar

Pelican Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: #1 ranking in several Lonely Planet categories! In many YouTube videos also
Reviewed 12 November 2018

My girlfriend and my self took a day trip to the south coast of Jamaica. We higher ed a driver from our resort instead of a pre-packaged bus tour. We wanted to go where we wanted and stop when we wanted. I also found it cheaper and a little more adventurous. Our driver found a local resident of Black River who"s uncle would ferry us over to the Pelican Bar on his fishing boat (that I will never forget). The bar is right in the middle of the bay on the south shore carefuller when you get off the boat to the stairs. Built on stilts and driftwood with the names of people who have visited the bar for at least the past six years. There are two small "gift" shops to purchased carved driftwood and such (we did not find anything). We did try a drink and the fish and rice. Now I am from the prairies of Canada and to see a fish on my plate with tail and head still on was a bit UN-nerving. But once I got past that the fish and rice was Awesome!!! The only comment I have is that it took some time to prepare the fish and it was pricey. Overall I would highly recommend a visit and get your names (with date) carved into the wood.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 11 November 2018

I understand this bar has been present for at least at 15 years.It is built on a sand bar just outside Black River.The only access is by boat .There are various local boatman who will take you out to it ,deposit you there,and then be back to pick you up latter.The Bar is some distance out to sea but when you get there,due to the sand bank it is fairly shallow water(waist height +) and you can swim or snorkel.The bar itself is somewhat ramshackle attair ,banged together Jamaican style full of nailed on momentoes of people and the places they are from ,that have visited.Also you can carve your name on the floor or walls .Plenty of alcohol at the bar and cooked food if you wasn’t it.By far the strangest bar I have visited.The bar shuts at sunset as I suppose they have got to get everybody back on shore before dark,

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 9 November 2018

not really my thing
its the sort of place you smoke
the bar is beer or water!
nice spot for a swim
kids really didn't like it!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank shroppers
Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

I visited the pelican bar during the day with 10 friends and we’re really blown away with how beautiful it was!!
We stayed for around 2 hours. Drank rum and ting or red strips. We didn’t try the food as I believe you had to order ahead of arrival but they sell fresh seafood which I’m sure would have been amazing.

We did our trip with Rickytoursja (Instagram name) look him up he is a lovely guy and looked after us very well! Highly recommend.

The pelican bar itself is so unique it is so worth a visit!

Please note: it is a wooden shak/ structure in the middle of the ocean so no toilet facilities or washrooms.
Just something to keep in mind.

Overall defo worth a visit for the experience whilst in JA.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

Off the beaten path for sure. We took a Skiff across the water to this true, Hole in the wall, bar. Beer was good and cold. The Herb flowed freely, and the food smelled very good. It’s a long trip from Negril, and it’s now off my bucket list.

Date of visit: November 2018