“Idyllic setting for Morning Tea.”

Isobel's Hanmer Springs Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Isobel's Restaurant is located in the Heritage Hanmer Springs hotel and is open every day of the year for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We also have a fantastic outdoor Terrace overlooking our gardens for amazing al fresco dining. We offer a variety of meals to suit most tastes and meet most dietary requirements and we are proud to offer vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.
Reviewed 21 April 2018

A hidden treasure in Hanmer. Morning tea was served out on a sheltered terrace in a lovely garden. A delicious warm muffin with preserve and cream, and tea/coffee, for under $9.00. Friendly, efficient service. Will definitely be back.

GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Isobel's Hanmer Springs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Dear Judy RM

Thanks for sharing your recent dining experience on Tripadvisor.

We really appreciate your feedback because it helps us to maintain and improve the services we offer.

We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. The Terrace is a beautiful location for guests and visitors to enjoy and we are glad you made the most of it!

Reviewed 20 April 2018

My own family and a friend came in for dinner to celebrate his birthday and were let down in every way. We ourselves work in a Hotel and were very very dissapointed. Here's a simple description of how our dining experience unfolded.

1. Arrived at the Restaurant where ( at the time ) there was just one table with two gentleman dining - so not a busy night to start off with to get some service.

2.The waitress came to our table and gave us a description of the specials forgetting to say hello my name is ...... and even have a brief chat as when its quiet thats what you do to enhance a dining experience.

3. We ordered our Entrees and Mains and waited a good while before they came out ( remembering it was still a very quiet time at the restaurant). My partner had ordered the dumplings and thought the quality and quantity was good but my friend and I ordered the Scallops and were very dissapointed firstly by the wait but then both only had three Scallops each on our plates and this dish was $23 - an absolute rip off. What we had was average to nice but nothing "to sing home about".

4.Our mains arrived ( by this time 4 to 5 other tables were about arriving). The mains were the best part and were tasty. My friend and I have the same taste in food and again went the same main which was the Venison - very nice but thought the price was about $5 too expensive for the charge of $39. My partner had the steak which she enjoyed. At this time no other drinks were asked for ( remember a diners experience and upselling for the Hotel to bring in $$$$$ ) . It also took about 30mins for them to empty our tables and by this time we had finished our meals well and truely. When they were cleared they left a plate and never came back for it.

5. At this time I said to my friend that our experience wasn't good. The Restaurant had two waitresses on that night but our service should have been better because early on it just wasn't busy at all so no excuses should be given There wasn't real hospitality enthusiasm which ruined our evening. We at least stayed and said to the waitress that we would have Dessert so in turn waited for the menus to brought to us.

6. Just to come back quickly and secure the deal would have taken 2-3mins. Yes I understand there were other guests at the time but work on guests at this time that you can work on quickly then move onto the next. After waiting 15 mins or so ( no lies in the time given) , I said to my partner and friend lets go.

7. The waitress billed us wrong and overcharged my friend on his birthday by about $15 as we then went through the price list online when we got home. My family and I were UNDERCHARGED $75 which was the best part of the evening, considering the service we were given................... would never recommend this Restaurant, I will leave the Hotel side out of it as it wouldn't be fair. But to the Manager these guys need some serious training or to be asked the question of how can I best prepare my staff for their customer facing roles - do I give enough training for them or just don't I simply care???? Sorry but an honest review and I feel embarrassed to be in the Hospitality sector when I have service like this given to me or other guests.Yes there are two sides to the cion but find out what each one is AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Dear Sam w

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast dining experience with us. This is definitely not the standard of service that we strive to achieve and we are taking your comments very seriously.

I have discussed your comments with the Food and Beverage team to make sure that we are providing the best quality food and service at all times. I

Sam w, please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations and please rest assured that we will use your feedback to improve going forward.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We enjoyed a delicious lunch of the old favourite of 'Fish and Chips'. The fish was cooked to perfection and succulent, the best we have ever had. The chips were good and the salad was fine. Eating outside on a sunny Autumn day in pleasant surroundings just added to the enjoyment of the meal. Price-wise this reflected a hotel restaurant which is what we expected.

Dear Pearl_Don

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. The Terrace is an oasis of calm and is a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery and excellent food on offer!

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My goodness, this dessert was simply divine. Enough to share between two, absolutely delicious. If you have a dessert, pick this one!
Service was great too.

GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Isobel's Hanmer Springs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear jessienarbey

Thanks for taking the time to post a review about the Chocolate Pavlova!

We are glad that you enjoyed your dessert and the service as well!

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

A bit pricey but first rate food. The scallop appetizer was cooked just right and beautifully presented. The venison and the pork belly mains were both terrific. A bit over 200 nz$ for four with a bottle of wine but no dessert. Would happily dine here again.

GM_HeritageHanmer, General Manager at Isobel's Hanmer Springs Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Dear Michael W

Thanks for sharing your recent experience at Isobel's Restaurant. We really appreciate your feedback!

We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and had a great evening.