“Locked out of my accommodation for the night”
Review of Zoumis Studios

Zoumis Studios
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Naoussa
Reviewed 21 June 2017

I came to Paros for a wedding and stayed at Zoumis Studios for one night. They provided a special rate, and were sufficiently coordinated with the wedding planner that I received an envelope of instructions from the wedding couple when I checked in.

There are many nice things about the place: the staff are friendly and welcoming, the apartments are spacious and well kept, and the environment is very relaxing.

However, I was to experience very poor service. It's true that negative reviews are so often an indicator of unreasonable expectations or mistakes on the part of the reviewers, rather than the hotelier. In this case I will even admit to a small mistake which caused the problem. That does not excuse the manager's handling of it.

I checked in mid-afternoon and was shown to my apartment. I was given very little practical information -- only that the apartment would be required around 11am the next day. (I was also given the wedding envelope I mentioned.)

The apartment key had a chunky fob, meaning you are expected to hand the key in at the reception desk rather than take it out with you. When I left for the wedding, I handed my key in -- without thinking to check that I would be able to get it back later. Naturally, by the time I arrived back, around 1.30am, reception was locked up and I could not get my key. The only telephone number on display rang the reception desk phone. Some friends were staying at the same place, so I slept on their floor. Without them, I would have been sleeping outdoors.

So, my mistake, but a mistake easy to make and foreseeable by the management -- fully aware that it had wedding guests that night. The next morning, the manager seemed apologetic. He mentioned that usually they check for left-behind keys before closing reception, but unfortunately had not done so this time. He offered to let me keep the apartment until 3pm -- no use to me because I had already planned to be out by 11 as he had asked.

This seemed to be an admission of fault on the manager's part. However, when I asked for a reduction (any reduction) in my bill, he immediately changed tack and claimed that it was entirely my fault because the reception closing time was written on a piece of paper found in the apartment. I had spent part of the afternoon in the apartment and never saw this -- it was certainly not on display, although no doubt it was stashed in a drawer somewhere.

It would be easy to prevent this problem in any number of ways -- by providing clearer information at check-in, by providing an out-of-hours contact number (I'm sure some staff were staying in or near the place) or by changing the key hand-in arrangement.

There are so many nice places to stay in Naousa that I seriously recommend you look for somewhere whose management knows how to treat customers decently.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 June 2017

Based on the reviews we had read, we expected Zoumis Studios to be nice, but it was even more fabulous than we expected. George was a great source of ideas about the island and he and his staff were extremely helpful. He picked us up at the airport and we knew right away we had found a special place. The apartment itself had everything we needed and it was very clean. The pool area was lovely. Right next door is a winery, and two minutes away is the beach. The walk to the centre took 10 minutes. Naoussa is the most beautiful town on the island. Overall, this was a magical experience and when we return, it will be to Zoumis Studios.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms are nice, especially facing the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanetKawchuk
giwrgos z, Ιδιοκτήτης at Zoumis Studios, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Dear Sir or Madam Janet Kawchuk,
Thank you very much for your nice comment , i miss already and i hope to see you again in the future.
The Hotel Manager in Zoumis Studios***,
George Zoumis.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

Loved this complex, George and the staff are brilliant, efficient, helpful. The whole place is spotless and they work very hard to keep it that way. Cleaner in room every day, towels and sheets changed every other day. Rooms are painted grey and white with matching accessories, nice touches such as the electric kettle and modern hob( does need instructions though) air conditioning and safe included, also breakfast at certain times. Everything you needed for continental breakfast, yoghurt, meats , cheese, cakes etc. George really has thought of everything. Even picks up from ferry or airport. Really couldn't fault this.
Paros also a beautiful, clean , friendly island. Would go back.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir or Madam Lynda,
Thank you very much for your nice comment , i miss you already and i hope to see you again in the future.
The Hotel Manager in Zoumis Studios***,
George Zoumis.

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed in a studio for five nights at end of September. George, the hotel manager collected us and delivered us to the port FOC. The apartments are comfortable and the swimming pool is great with plenty of beds. The main town is within ten minutes and is a really lovely walk. The beach is less than five minutes, but we didn't go there as it was windy. The winery next door sells lovely local wine.

Just a small point, but the apartments could do with a kettle and the shower could do with being changed as the whole bathroom ended up getting soaked.

The town of Naoussa is very pretty. The restaurants were ok but not great value for money. We found that money didn't go as far as when we visit kefalonia or the mainland.

The island itself is very pretty. We hired a buggy and drove around the entire island in a couple of hours. George was very good at organising for a buggy to be dropped off and collected at the apartment.

Would definitely stay again if we visited Paros. Thanks for a lovely, peaceful stay.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2016

I had a bad experience with the manager of the hotel, as he was arrogant and impolate to me because I was not in hotel at the (supposedly ) check out time in the morning, neve comunicated to me. I just appeared five minutes later and did the check out, but was negatively surprised about such stupid behaviour.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo