“The tastiest fish in Tambor!!”

Restaurant and Cafe Cristina
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Tambor
Cuisines: Costa Rican
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Tasty food prepared with local ingredients. If you don't like it, you don't pay - that's our guarantee of quality.
Reviewed 4 January 2017

We ate here twice during our recent stay in Tambor over the Xmas period. The red snapper (either whole or as a fillet) was the best fish meal we had during our holiday and the shrimp with patacones is to be highly recommended. Everett and Stephanie made us extremely welcome and were pleased to cater to any preferences. Those of you fancying a pre-dinner Gin & Tonic (we were!!) will be disappointed as they do not have a spirit licence. Nevertheless, we enjoyed Cristinas tremendously.

Reviewed 30 December 2016

We turned up on spec one evening and thought maybe the restaurant was closed, as there were no other diners....next surprise, the man I addressed in my carefully-rehearsed Spanish, was definitely struggling to understand me.... of course, he is a newly-arrived Canadian! But what he lacks in knowledge of Spanish he more than compensates for with his culinary abiities. He whipped us up a fresh guacamole and delicious home-made tortilla chips to keep us busy while he prepared a variety of fish and chicken dishes for us, all equally delicious. His young son came out to socialize with us and was absolutely delightful, entertaining us and amazing with his laid-back approach to creepy crawlies and snakes etc which seem to be his main interest in Costa Rica! We had a great meal and would definitely have returned had it not been our last night in the area. Highly recommended!

1  Thank PuravidaPlaya
Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

This was a refreshing dining experience and without a doubt the freshest and best cooked food we had in the area. There was no menu - instead, Everett (the new Canadian chef) asked us to choose from fresh prawns, red snapper or chicken and how we would like them cooked. Best prawns I have had, ever. Fresh, tender and meaty. Absolutely perfect. My husband had the red snapper which was also fabulous. Our group of 8 really enjoyed the experience - especially my toddler daughter who absolutely loved playing with 8 year old Trafford (the chef's son). Only wish we'd found this place sooner!

Reviewed 25 November 2016 via mobile

I brought my family here for a wonderful meal. I loved the Grilled Chicken sandwich. Soo tasty The guacamole and patacones are out of this world. Best I have ever had!! You need to try out this quaint restaurant by the beach. Brand new to Cristina's is a super talented Canadian Chef. So friendly and helpful with choosing menu items. Also family friendly. What more could a Canadian ask for a taste of Costa Rica, Canadian style.

Reviewed 25 November 2016 via mobile

My two kids, hubby and I ate here yesterday. We were greeted warmly and introduced to the new chef. A lovely little family run hotel and restaurant, they just brought in a Canadian chef for the upcoming season. The restaurant is quaint, clean and close to the beach. The food is home cooked and although they offer a Casado, also has some different offerings if you're getting sick of rice and beans. I had the pan seared poached chicken with potato wedges and garlic cabbage. It was fantastic!! The chicken was so juicy and tender and the potatoes were crisp and delicious! My husband had the whole red snapper, which he loved! And chef Everett made a special plate up for our gluten free kids of fresh vegetables, bean dip, potato wedges and fruit. Over all a great place! We will definitely be back! Next time we'll stay at the hotel, the rooms looked cozy and comfortable and the location is perfect!