“lovely birthday treat”

The Blue Mallard
Ranked #3 of 27 Restaurants in Burscough
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Blue Mallard located at Burscough Wharf; a unique, canalside development in the heart of Burscough town centre, is owned and run by Chris, a local lad who is passionate about great food and top-rate dining. With a menu boasting a whole host of regional foods and traditional dishes, refined to the highest standards, and given a contemporary finish, The Blue Mallard sets itself apart from any other restaurant in the area.Whether it is a light bite, a lazy lunch or a special weekend treat you are looking for, The Blue Mallard promises something for everyone, delivered in a comfortable and relaxed environment.
Reviewed 22 April 2018

What can i say, first but definitely not last visit, food amazing and staff where so friendly and welcoming, I would say best meal ive had out in along time, real treat and excellant value for money 3 course sunday lunch £20.95 each, soft drinks where priced great aswell. Cant wait to do return visit, compliments to an amazing chef and staff, lift aswell so easily accessible for anyone disabled

BlueMallard, Manager at The Blue Mallard, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you very much for your lovely review, it is very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
The Blue Mallard

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Had been meaning to visit here for a while after recommendation by a friend & salivating over the photos of the food on Facebook. My husband & I finally decided to make a trip on a Sunday for roast dinner. The food was so good & presented wonderfully. I had beef, my hubby chicken. The veg came served separately in little help yourself dishes. The creamy leeks were especially gorgeous & the Kale. So a very much decent roast which was followed by dessert. I had the Toffee Apple dessert a trio of appley based items including deconstructed strudel, apple crumble & ice cream. My husband had the pear with pear drop flavour ice cream & Bakewell tart. Wow what amazing ice cream this was. Husbands only complaint was that he could have ate a few more scoops of that ice cream! Both desserts were amazing & I'm excited to try the ones in the other menus (like seriously excited - sweet tooth!!)
Service was really great. The ladies were all friendly & very professional & the place felt very relaxed. The restaurant is situated right on the canal and off a pretty little courtyard. Decor is all solid wood & beams. Pretty & cosy.
Overall this place more than lived up to expectations. It left us feeling excited to come back & try the A La Carte menu very soon which looks amazing. I get a feeling we will be regulars here. Definitely a place for foodies like us & a little bit special too given the calibre of the food & presentation. I'd say also good value for money too. Definitely my new fave place at the moment - & usually we would have an abundance of choice given that we live close to Liverpool City Centre, yet The Blue Mallard is definitely worth the drive. Well done on this gorgeous place & keep up the good work! Highly recommended.

BlueMallard, General Manager at The Blue Mallard, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Thank you so much for your lovely review. We are so glad you enjoyed your first visit, and we look forward to seeing you again soon, from all the team at The Blue Mallard.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

Visited mid week with a friend who hadn’t been before - we had booked which was a good thing as it was unexpectedly busy for a Wednesday.
We opted to choose from the Wednesday lunchtime Special Menu which was £14 for 3 courses it turned out to be exceptionally good value for money and absolutely delicious
We both chose totally different dishes but both agreed every dish was really very good
Although there were only two members of staff front of house we were well looked after and only had a slightly longer wait for our dessert which meant we received our coffees first but even that did not detract from the excellent overall experience

Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant several times previously and enjoyed a perfectly nice meal - not the best in the world but nice enough. I liked it enough to buy into the loyalty scheme entitling you to 10% off the total bill.

However... recently things have started to slip I feel and I’ve had a couple of poor experiences lately, my latest being on 31st March when we went for a family meal to celebrate my Dad’s birthday.

There were 12 of us and we had been asked to pre-order. 3 or 4 enquired about soup and we’re told it was roasted onion and tomato.

When the starters came out, the soup was clearly not tomato so we enquired about this and was told they would get the tomato. What we weren’t told was that they had changed their soup of the day to leek and potato (which I would have happily had if they had said so) and what they brought out was shocking! The ‘chef’ had blended a tin of tomatoes!!! I was pretty insulted at this attempt to pass it off as soup. When I complained they actually admitted it (at least they were honest - not that they had a lot of choice). The bread that came with the soup was stale and there was no butter.

Someone’s meal included a salad that was wilted

Two people had duck both of which were dry and over cooked

One child had a chicken burger that was burnt black

Two had garlic bread which were also burnt

And what they had done to the children’s burgers was hilarious.... they had (rather untidily) cut around the edge of the burger bun to make it the same size as the small burger. It looked a mess, it was unnecessary, it was a joke.

A couple of beers were ordered that were clearly off and sent back the next ones (different beer) took 20 mins to come and the off ones were still included on the bill

On a positive note the sauce was nice, the chips were good. The fondant and the scollops were also nice.

Also the staff were very friendly and pleasant.

We did complain and were offered a free round of drinks

But when I presented my loyalty keyring to obtain the discount I was told that it was only on bookings of less than 6. Well I wasn’t told that when I bought it. Quite disgusted with that really especially given the rubbish meal we PRE-ORDERED

In complete contrast, I took a party of over 30 to the Legh Arms, Mere Brow at Christmas. The meals were pre-ordered and every single course came out together, perfectly cooked without a single complaint. So it can be done!!

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our meal on a Sunday lunch time. The menu was interesting and the pork dish was particularly tasty. This was our second visit and would go again.