See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 September 2016

The hotel is most probably the one offering the best rooms in Calama regarding confort, high quality beds, bathrooms, decoration. Everything is there to make your overnight perfect.

Very hard to say the same about the restaurant that provides a large choice of local wine and beef. Sad to see the waiter not even listening to us. You order a piece of beef that you pay 30 USD and they are not able to cook it how you ask it. Also the service is extremely slow even when there is only 3 tables of customers.

Very good hotel if you do not plan to have diner at the restaurant.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2015

Nice little hotel located just a short drive from El Loa airport.

Beautifully decorated, cosy rooms.

Nice bar with terrace, however, for whatever reason, neither the bar nor restaurant are open for lunch or dinner every day... If open, sandwiches are excellent and the beer ice- cold.

Friendly staff.

Nice quiet location and a better choice than the bigger hotels in Calama.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2015

Spent over a week at Borde Loa a few months ago and will stay there every time I and my colleagues visit Calama. Borde Loa hotel has been design to provide its customers a quiet, beautiful and relaxing space near the city and it provides an excellent service. It is new, clean, ample space to enjoy the outdoor gardens, and very importantly it offers very comfortable beds! it has tastefully design common areas and restaurant. The restaurant offers a well rounded menu and the food is well presented with excellent quality and flavor. The management of the hotel and service are clearly focused on Customer satisfaction. Well done. See next time in Calama.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 December 2014 via mobile

I am currently writing this review whilst in my nicely appointed room at Borde Loa hotel. Being objective, this is a nice hotel. The rooms are comfortable and well decorated. It is in general a nice hotel to stay in.

There is a big but... We were unfortunate to dine at the hotel restaurant not once, but twice. To say that the Chef is awful is an understatement. The menu is contrived, overly complicated (chicken, stuffed with spinach, Ecuadorean shrimp, and pistachios served on a potato purée with olives and nuts and an asparagus and squid sauce), and poorly executed. Oh and did I mention expensive? The average meal is $25 USD which is fine if it were a great meal. But as we have tried 4 out of 8 dishes on the menu (btw 2 of 8 were not available), I feel that I can safely attest to the terrible quality of their food.

For example the steak I ordered as medium rare came out well done. It was tasteless, and was covered in a canned white asparagus and cheese sauce. Terrible.

The chicken my wife ordered had to be sent back twice to be properly cooked. The stuffing of spinach, Ecuadorean shrimp, and pistachios was freezing cold and there was no way in hell she was going to eat them.

Did the staff ask whether we were satisfied? No. Did they ask what they could have done to make the meal better? No. They just asked for their 10% gratuity. Nothing else.

Seeing that it is Xmas eve, the manager and her family were also eating in the restaurant. Do you think that she asked whether we were satisfied seeing that my wife's chicken was sent back twice. Nope.

Pretty much, you should eat elsewhere or buy some empanadas on the roadside. Trust me they will beat whatever crap they serve here.

Otherwise, nice hotel. Nice interior design, comfortable bed.

My honest, heartfelt recommendation is to bypass Calama entirely and spend your time and money on San Pedro de Atacama.

Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rene_Velasquez
Reviewed 7 November 2014 via mobile

After three days roughing it in the salt flats and desert of Bolivia we wanted somewhere nice to stay on the way out of Calama Airport. This place certainly fit the bill - white sheets, fluffy towels, room service (very much at western prices).

BUT, be very wary of getting your laundry done here. We gave them 6kg of laundry and said we need it for checkout at 8am. Obviously they forgot about it, kept us waiting until 8:45am and tried to charge us $54,000 for the pleasure! It doesn't cost $US90 to get a load of laundry done anywhere in my experience. Ridiculous.

Thankfully the woman on the desk, Genesis, was very understanding and professional about the matter. It took three calls to the manager, who was none to happy with my insistence that we shouldn't pay anything for the return of our still wet washing, before it was sorted out.

Now we're waiting for a taxi to the airport, and hour after we had planned to leave. I just hope we can still make our flight.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple