Hotel Maraya(Arbanasi)
  • Spa
Hotel Izvora(Arbanasi)
  • Pool
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 February 2017

This is a former communist residence, so staying in it is an experience in itself. It has wonderful views over Veliko Tarnovo from a nice sun terrace. The rooms are big, but a bit dated. They accept small dogs, which is always a plus. We had a nice dinner at the restaurant, but we were the only guests. Do not go there expecting a traditional 5 star hotel. Just see it as sleeping in a museum from an era not so long ago.

For an additional charge, you can visit the roman bath, but I prefered to take a walk around the village.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2016

I stayed only one night in this hotel. The room was nice. Polite staff. The view was great! Very quiet. Has parking. But the tennis court was beyond terrible. Can't believe they charge for it. Need fixing.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2016

Very comfortable hotel,good food,nice pool,amazingly beautiful views over Veliko Turnovo. Staff need customer service training . Overall nice place ,good price for the area,close to all amenities and tours.T he supposed spa was not working.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Interesting venue which certainly tried hard and offers lovely view. Food appeared catered so no comment on their regular offerings. Also can't comment on accommodations. Public rooms pleasant but sterile. Company fun. Consider returning depending upon company.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2016

I want to start my review by saying that all of the staff apart from one were very friendly and attentive, however, things go downhill from here.

We booked the hotel as we love Arbanassi and my children had never experienced the delights of a 5 star hotel, I'm sad to say that they still haven't.

Things got off to an interesting start with the booking itself. We booked two rooms and I requested a double bed in the room my wife and I would be staying in and two single beds in my childrens room. When the confirmation came through both rooms had single beds. I attempted to change the bed situation by requesting a room with a double bed for my wife and I. A reply came back confirming that our room had a double bed, but they also stated that they did not have a double bed in the children's room so would clip beds together, very odd as I hadn't requested a double bed in their room.

We were tempted by the grand images of the palace, particularly the roman baths which we looked forward to. On arrival I was given two keys, one for a room in the 100s and another for a room in the 300s, it suddenly dawned on me that the hotel had put our children 3 floors away from us despite declaring the ages of the children, a real concern. We first went to the room designated for my wife and I, at this point we noticed the hotel has no lifts. Our room was well appointed and comfortable, great views but as our room was advertised as a 'Superior room' we couldn't help but notice the lack of a balcony. For the entirety of our stay we had no WiFi in our 'Superior room' either. I noticed a coffee machine in our room, something I always like to have so went to make myself a coffee, it was then I started to get annoyed. NEVER in all the hotels have I stayed in are you required to pay for the apparently complimentary coffee in the room, in the cafe yes, but never in the room, it seems this hotel marches to a different beat. We then went to see the children's room, and here's where things got slightly horrifying.

We entered the childrens room to discover it was 3 times the size of ours, oddly there were 4 beds, it seems the confusion about the beds had led to staff putting two extra beds in the room?!? The minibar in the kids room was missing most of the items listed, a bit of a concern! We noticed the kids also had a balcony, but, the handrail was lifting and moving around!!!!!! Something I spent most of our stay worrying about!!!!! Then my son went to charge his phone only to discover the socket was hanging out of the wall!!! There was also no WiFi, so I went back to reception to ask them to resolve the WiFi issue which they did. On attending reception though, I noticed a price list on the counter and it suddenly became apparent that everything in the hotel costs extra, including the roman baths. 10 lev for 60 mins may not seem much, but when there's 4 of you staying for 3 days, it's almost £20 for every hour you want to use the Roman baths, the gym membership was 18 lev more per month than my local gym which is 20 times the size. There is no mention of this added cost on their website or when booking.

After getting horrified a few times, I decided it was time for some food and a beer. I must say that the dining area and balconies are beautiful, and the views breathtaking, there's only one snag.....THEY DON'T SELL MEALS!!!! All that was on offer was 'Sandwiches' which turned out to be cheese toasties....5 star? REALLY? COME ON!!! After eating our toasties, which were nice, but not exactly what we'd planned on eating, we took a walk to the helicopter pad, it was then I noticed dust sheets covering up the bottom half of the palace where, on the website, it shows a BBQ area. I was now becoming somewhat depressed that we were stuck here for three days.

We went back for another beer to try and see things in a more positive light, and we waited.....and waited.....and waited.....eventually I got up to find the guy sat in a dark corner on his phone, I should add this was the only staff member that was lacking somewhat, more about him later.

We noticed a severe lack of guests and suddenly things started to make sense, it's clear this hotel has become something of a money pit that the owners can't keep up with, as it becomes more dilapidated, less visitors are coming, less visitors, less investment and a downward spiral begins.

The next morning we went for breakfast. We entered the dining area to find there was no food, odd! Suddenly a nice chap approached me with a menu that consisted of 5 different breakfasts, overall the breakfast was nice, but, the coffee machine that gives out complimentary coffee has to be the most DISGUSTING gunk I've ever had to drink. Ironically the staff member must know this as he suggested the hot chocolate instead, which was nice. Our breakfast was supposed to come with fresh juice, but we had to request this.

We spent most of our stay sat on the balconies admiring the view, the coffee you pay for is nice and the beer cold. We found some nice places to eat in the surrounding area.

We decided on the second day we'd pay to use the Roman baths. They had robes waiting for us and slippers too. We had noticed that nobody else used the Roman baths for the entirety of our stay. The baths look very grand and were good fun, but, 3 of the 4 jet systemS that function like a jacuzzi don't work, and, while we were in there we noticed 2 tiles just sort of floating around. We'd left the plastic wrappers from our slippers on the table in the baths, and on leaving left the door open, nobody came for the rest of our stay to shut the door or pick up the plastic from the slippers so ultimately we probably could have stayed in the baths and nobody would have known.

We visited Veliko Tarnovo the next day and met some family who were keen to see where we were staying so took them to see the view from the balcony and have a drink. The staff member that night handled the sudden influx quite well, but, on the next night the guy who we had to keep looking for to pay our bill or order anything was back. We'd returned from a meal and wanted to have a drink on the balcony, at 10:15pm he demanded we pay our bill which we did, then disappeared! No more drinks or service?! If you can't get service at the bar then I can't really see how the room has 24hr room service?!

By the time leaving day arrived we couldn't wait to go home. All in all it's very sad that such a beautiful building in a beautiful area with such breathtaking views has been run into the ground. If this place held music festivals or the like I'm pretty sure visitors would pour in and allow for the investment to make this place 5 star. The view is 5 star, the balconies 5 star and the reception and hall off of the reception looks 5 star but the rest leaves an awful lot to be desired. Such a shame when the arcitechture is so grand and the history so rich.

I sincerely hope the management find a way to turn this place around and make it the attraction it deserves to be.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family