“perfect for couples”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Union Province
Sunset Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in La Union Province
“perfect for couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been travelling a lot and have been to different resorts and hotels. Sunset View is just like somewhere abroad. Almost all the guests are foreigners which I appreciate a lot (foreign guests don't stare at other guests)..oh, they're friendly too. Service was perfect, I was expecting that there would be some kind of "discrimination " just like one of the reviews I read here. The Sunset view crew has been attentive to all our needs with a great smile. I was as well able to ask them lotta questions regarding the place considering that there were lotta guests. The resort was full house when we were there. Room was great, it has a spacious veranda and bathroom. Though bathroom should have like something to separate the shower area from the loo so the floor wouldn't stay wet.
One of the best things here is the food, a bit pricey though but it pays well. Try the lamb, tanguigue, kiev, spicy chicken pasta, meat lover pizza... makes my mouth watery again. Dine while watching the sun set or grab a drink and stay on the beach area.
This place is fabulous,, we're definitely coming back here.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank suniesexy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Mandaluying City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We went there for a 3 day 2 night stay last December 30, 2012 to Jan 1, 2013. The room was okay but the comfort room is dirty. The staff are not friendly at all and they prioritize foreign customers. We had to wait for about 15 minutes before someone would take our order but if it's a foreigner customer, they would even hold the chair for them. During check iut, the lady did not even say thank you to us or what. She just took our payment and that's it. This made me think that all the good reviews in tripadvisor and in the blogs are all paid by Sunset Bay so they can attract more customers! The beach isn't even worth it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Paula A
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

We just had an overnight and i just experienced unoriented customer service. I was so so disappointed to your customer service duh! Maybe can you please orient your workers / waitresses how to take care and accomodate your client properly... Bad customer service... This is not a A CLASS resort...

• Stayed February 2013
17 Thank Tigoyze
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

I was trying to book at this resort based on the reviews I have read. I have inquired and had received a response from Jenny. I then I ask if I could reserve a few rooms but no response. I again made a follow-up since I really wanted to book the place but still no response. If you can not accommodate my request then at least have the decency to reply and not just ignore my email.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank 216toronto
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

We had some wonderful days at this serene resort by the ocean - Sunset Bay Beach Resort, in San Fernando, La Union, west coast of northern Philippines.

The room rate was affordable, the restaurant had both filipino and western style food, with big servings. For swimming and relaxing both the small hotel pool and the beach were good.

Our room had a queen size bed, bathroom with toilet and shower with hot and cold water, refrigerator, air conditioner, and our own terrace with a partial seaview.

We have been travelling to La Union for many years, but the resort where we have been staying has taken a turn from mediocre to lousy. So we looked for a place to stay in San Fernando that is better than Long Beach Resort Hotel and the cottages of North Palm Beach in Bauang. As we wanted a place where the waves of the ocean are calm enough for swimming, this ruled out all the surfers’ hotels in San Juan north of San Fernando. We also didn't want to go for the high-end pricy resorts.

In a few words: this place is what we have been looking for! The beach on Long Beach in Bauang is better, but considering the lousy standard of the hotels on Long Beach, our opinion is that it is better to stay at Sunset Bay Beach Resort.

The resort is by the San Fernando Airport, so whoever feels comfortable flying a small plane from Manila can basically do the hotel check in from the airport. Otherwise you can take a bus from Manila (or another city like Baguio) and get off at the monument (of the lost soldier) slightly south of San Fernando City. From there the hotel can pick you up with their van for a small fee (like 100 peso).

One downside with the hotel is you have to walk for a while to catch a tricycle if you are going to town, since the place is near Poro and nowhere near the main road. However the hotel staff is happy to get a trike for you.

The hotel makes the beach a comfortable place, providing beach furniture at daytime, lighting up torches at night. The beach is nice with white, soft sand. The ocean is calm enough for swimming, but there is quite a bit of seaweed floating around, and being swept up on the beach. When you are in the water there are som rocky areas, but it is still nice.

The restaurant has a menu with a wide variety of foods – filipino and western. Everybody was very happy with everything they ordered and thought all food was really delicious, even the children. The servings are big so no matter how hungry you are you will be satisfied. For drinks they have water, soft drinks, beer, wine and liqour.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the beach and poolarea, they have nicer views.