Free cancellation until 21/07
Hotels.com
US$668
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswhite islandluxury villaspa areahoneymoon suiteprivate poolmanagement stylesand beachsmall gympool bar menuwelcome drinkmountain bikesfive star hotelfew minutes walkping pongswimming with the dolphinsgardens are beautifulbeautiful hotel
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Very off the beaten track, secluded, peaceful. One of the nicest places I have ever been to due to the location but mainly due to the staff. Their friendliness, their helpfulness, their willingness to serve is unforgettable. These people know what customer service is. Food is wonderful. Fresh fruit smoothies every morning, buffet style meal in the evening. Spoke to the manager twice and this man knows what people want and runs his hotel accordingly. Beg, steal or borrow but stay here if you can.

Room Tip: Any room will do
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ginovandevelde
Reviewed 11 March 2018

The hotel has amazed us with its beauty from the arrival. The road up to the hotel - app 3-5 km was quite bumpy and unpleasant to drive on, but in comparison with other roads leading to other hotels in Zanzibar it was quite acceptable. We travelled around Zanzibar and stayed in 4 different hotels - so we have some background to make comparisons.
The reception was very beautiful and the girl was very friendly and service-minded.
The area with the pool and bar, the garden, small sandy beach oases all over, the bridge in the sea with two big beds were amazing and comfortable. You can always find the place to be on your own.The territory is quite big, but each place has a small button that can be used to order some drinks and you can just stay where you are and relax. WiFi was very reasonable throughout the whole territory.
We stayed in a bungalow. It was absolutely romantic and beautiful. Huge room with a huge bath, two showers and a big terrace with a sea view. By our arrival there was a bottle of cold spumante in the room waiting for us.
All that said, there was one thing that made me rate this hotel lower than it probably deserves. The atmosphere! We didn't feel welcomed. We felt that employees were trying to do their best, but were sad. Employees' behaviour always reflects management style, Managers were busy with their own and never smiled or greeted. Probably it can go in bigger resorts, but here in a smaller cosy place like that you meet the same people more often and start paying attention to inadequate things. First time we saw a manager's smile was when we were leaving :)))

Room Tip: Bungalows are spacy, with nice terrace, garden and sea view
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Mohammed K, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Fruit & Spice Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Dear Sputnica,

We were feeling so exited when reading the amazing words you dedicated to describe your stay at the Fruit and Spice, our Team is so happy you appreciated the work we keep on doing to maintain in good aspect and well working all the areas dedicated to the Guests ... Asante Sana, on behalf of all of us!
The Easy Call Button you are mentioning is one of the news of this current season, and you got straight to the point: as at this moment we only offer one snacks and drinks bar located at the pool, but the space we have available for the equipped beaches is pretty wide, we tried to offer our Guests a way to relax while ordering their preferred drinks or meals. Also the WiFi connection has been improved if thinking on what it was before, and we will try our best to enhance it more.

I would like to go now on the negative point in your review. First of all, please accept our apologies - even on behalf of our Managers, who where here mainly to make plans for the coming season - for the bad feeling you had while being in contact with our Team Members. I believe nobody was willing to make you feeling not welcome! Also because, as you can maybe get by going through our previous reviews, the Team is always receiving the better compliments from our Guests. Anyway, i already informed the Management about the words you spent on the employees, and we are going to find out if there really is something wrong in order to avoid this to happen again in the future.

Anyway, thanks again for the time you spent with us and feel welcome to visit us again if you will be back on Zanzibar ... also to enjoy the the "smiling side" of our Team: Karibu Tena!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

This place is amazing. We've been there together with my girlfriend on February 2018. The food is great, evening animations focused on the adult audience and the staff is extremaly helpful. The whole resort is located in a great area and each location is a separate place for photoshoot. Not to crowdy, you can spend time next to the pool or close to the seaside.

Stayed: February 2018
Mohammed K, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Fruit & Spice Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Dear Szymon W.,

On behalf of the all Team ... Asante Sana for your extraordinary review! We are pleased your girlfriend and you enjoyed that much your stay with us.
It seems you really appreciated all our spaces: well, we would like to inform you that starting from the coming month of June, the Fruit and Spice Wellness Resort will finally be provided of a private white sand beach facing the Ocean, also equipped with a snack bar.
If you will, you are most welcome to visit us again and discover all the news we are preparing for you ... Karibu Tena!

Reviewed 25 February 2018

(positives)
+ Staff very friendly
+ nice, spacious room (exec suite), good hard bed
+ Everything clean
+ Food nice, good change even if you stay longer (us: 8 days) as they do theme dinners at least once a week
+ Entertainment (artists hired) very impressive

(so so)
~ Spa and activity information (not proactive, you wanna do something, you need to chase, limited flexibility (fixed packages, that's basically it, not much interest to arrange for something extra))

(negatives)
- Gym / very bad condition of equipment, hardly usable
- Drink prices (USD 5,- for Ndovu small beer)
- Charge for drinking water

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Stoffl,

Asante sana on behalf of our all Team for the time you spent writing such a detailed review on our Resort. We are glad you had a nice time here at the Fruit and Spice!

We are sorry for your bad experience with the Jungle Spa. We are trying to improve the service there, which we recognize can be really basic for Guests spending several days here with us. Hopefully we will be able to give some god news starting from the next season!

As regard as the prices of the drinks, we need to inform you that most of the drinks we are serving to you need to be transported from our Mainland and the deliver costs of our suppliers are increasing almost every day, also because of the lack of petrol and diesel which is bothering the Zanzibar Island since the Christmas period.

Remember you are most welcome for your next visit in Zanzibar ... Karibu Tena!

Reviewed 8 February 2018

I was really disappointed with this hotel, had so much expectations. Arrived there the hotel looks very lovely and calm, very nice outdoor setting. Escorted to our room, we discover all kinds of insects, spiders and weird creatures. We do understand that it is Africa, but we are booking in a 5stars hotel to not have this kind of issue. We were in another 5stars hotel in Zanzibar and we did not have any problems regarding this. The bathroom seat was broken, had to call the reception. They manager showed up after 1h30, they sprayed an anti-mosquito and fixed the toilet seat. The next day we ask the reception for a late checkout, manager was not there. I reminded the reception more than 3 times and after all a girl goes out. She is the most unprofessional person I have ever met, Kamilia. She was very rude, called us liars and started shouting and doing weird impolite gestures. She did not accept to have a late check out and when we asked to speak with the GM she accepted to give us an extra 1h and complained that usually we have to pay for it, something that she did not mention before, she said no availability. The next day we proposed to pay 30$ for 3h and for sure they directly accepted and created an availability. This is not a 5STARS hotel. I am usually very positive in my reviews but this is the worst experience that I had with a wannabe 5stard hotel

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Mohammed K, Direttore generale at Fruit & Spice Wellness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Good afternoon Ms. Mada Younes.

As I already said you on the private answer to the email you (your sister probably) sent to the management yesterday, we respect your opinion and your worldwide travelling experience, and we apologize if your stay with us did not satisfied you because we always try our best to make the holidays of our Guest something special and worth to be remembered, but honestly I can not agree with you in all what you are writing. Let's go point by point.

There might be some weird creature around Zanzibar (Africa): for sure if you stay at a hotel in Town you will not find the same fauna you can find at the Mchangamble Beach of Kizimkazi, bordering the wild Jozani Forest. What you found in your room was just ONE cricket and only to inform you about our procedures, ambient mosquitoes repellent is regularly sprayed from the housekeeping twice per day. I am sorry if when reporting to the Reception about the toilet seat to fix you had to wait fot the maintenance craft more than one hour. Even if our maintenance report shows you were reporting this problem at 6:50 p.m. and at 7:00 p.m. the maintenance came to sign the completed intervention.

On the evening you were asking the Reception team for a late check out I was not around - I am also a human person and sometimes I get sick, even if when reported from my Team, you could not understand this my impossibility to reach you on person. Anyway, on duty there were Front Office Manager, Reservation Manager and Guest Relation Manager, in addition to the Receptionist you were starting to speak to, and they all informed you after checking several times with the Reservation Manager that a late check out was not possible on the following day as the Hotel was fully booked. As you seemed not to understand the answer they gave, Camilla phoned me and I just permitted them to offer you one hour longer as the normal time (11:00 a.m.) for free, and she informed you that was just my exception because the late check out is usual upon payment. Still not happy with this solution, you even tried to calculate how long our Housekeping needs to clean one room - sorry but honestly I find it a lack of respect faced to the work my Team is doing here inside. The final possibility to allow you to stay in the room until 3:00 p.m. was generated after a no show of a reservation and only after this fact I was the one ordering to contact you on the day of your departure, to try to inform you about a new availability, which would have been possible with a extra charge of $ 30,00 - so it is not that we allowed you because you were offering us that extra money, we allowed you because it is a decision on complete discretion of the Hotel and according to our rules, and because we are always glad to do something that can satisfy our Guests.

As I wrote in the private answer to your sister's email, I am working in the hotellerie industry since 35 years and I am able to judge if my Team members are professional or not, and honestly Camilla was always having a professional behaviour to our Guests. I am not meaning at all that you are a liar, but sometimes speaking a language which is not your mother language can bring some misunderstandings, also because the version you are telling me about this history is different from what i heard from other member of the staff. Considering the professional skills of Camilla i am quite sure all this has been originated from a misunderstanding, anyway I want to apologize again with you if between you and her has happened this misapprehension and your last evening with us was ruined.

Mr. Lucidi