Blue Horizon Resort
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Blue Haven Resort(Providenciales)
View Hotel
The Shore Club(Long Bay Beach)
The Tuscany(Providenciales)
Ocean Club Resort(Providenciales)
View Hotel
Royal West Indies Resort(Providenciales)
View Hotel
All reviewsmudjin harbordragon caybambarra beachmudjin bar and grillnorth caicosdaniel's cafethe cottagesconch barwild cowsecret beachrental carlobsterbug spraysunset cottagespecial islandsilver palmthe bed was super comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2017

We stayed in the Sunset cottage from 5/1-5/6, and had a incredible time. This is a place to relax, rejuvenate and just be with nature. You need to do your research before going...yes there are mosquitos, take bug spray. I had just made up my mind that I would be covered in sunscreen and bug spray during my stay. This island is somewhat remote, so don't expect to find everything you want in the grocery store, get your supplies on Provo. The IGA is very well stocked. Sunset actually has 2 small refrigerators so you have plenty of room.

The beach at Blue Horizon is a magical place, the beauty will take your breath away. We did visit the other beaches, Mad Cow is a challenge to find but worth it. Although after seeing the beach at the resort, I think it was the best on the island. We rented a Jeep, and it was definitely worth the cost. There was very little traffic, so driving on the left was not an issue either. Although I have to admit I didn't always do it correctly. (helps to have a couple with you from England in the car)

We met great people at the resort (Hi, Richard, Rob and Christine!) and ate dinner together every night. I couldn't have planned a better group of people to be with on this trip, we were very lucky to meet such interesting and nice people.

Susan and her staff were fantastic! My experience was that everyone on the island was very friendly. It is also a safe place, I felt comfortable everywhere we went even when I was by myself.

If you do your research, this trip will exceed your expectations. If you do not, then you may be disappointed. If you are looking for nightlife, this would not be the place for you.

I have not been anywhere that has healed my soul as much as Blue Horizon. If you see a black cat with gold eyes (Anthony), take a minute to pet him. He loves the attention. Domino is a sweet dog, and I personally loved having animals around. It helped us not miss our dog so much. Although I never did get to meet Sam, Susan's cat.

I absolutely loved this trip!! Thank you Susan!!

Room Tip: Even though Sunset and Sunrise are on each side of the office, privacy or noise is not an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie L
Reviewed 2 May 2017

We stayed for 6 days and had a wonderful time. We were in Whale Watchers and the views were incredible from sunrise to sunset. The place was cheerful, clean and well equipped. Susan was great, whether she was showing us to our rooms, giving us information, making arrangements or mixing our drinks at the bar. My advice, call and confirm the ferry times and the rental car company a couple of days before you go. For example, we were there on Commonwealth Day and only one ferry left early that day, we were not told of this while making the reservation nor did the ferry company post it on their website. There was a flight to catch, so it was costly scrambling around at the last minute. Great place to stay, I hope to be back!

Room Tip: I don't think it was in the hotel information that Whale Watchers has two full bathrooms.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

Our visit to Blue Horizon was everything we hoped for and more. We wanted a beautiful and special island adventure as far from an all-inclusive resort experience as possible and that's exactly what we got. Mudjin Harbor is breathtaking. Photos really can't do it justice. We went to the beach and went in the water every day we were there. We stayed in Sunrise Cottage. It was very pretty with a gorgeous view. The bed was super comfortable. We picked up groceries in Provo on the way from the airport. We rented a Suzuki SUV from Al's. We ate the first night at the restaurant on site and it was very good. We also stopped for lunch at Miss B's on North Provo one day when we were out and about and it was very good as well, but for the most part we ate in and it suited us fine. We woke up at dawn every day, grabbed the map, got in the SUV and went exploring. We visited Conch Bar Caves, Bamberra Beach, and Wild Cow Run. The roads aren't marked and not even always paved. It took us two attempts to find the beach at Wild Cow Run but that's all part of the adventure and it was well worth it. You need bug spray, sunscreen, a sense of adventure, and to stay hydrated. Susan was very helpful and full of useful information. I cried when it was time to leave and am already plotting my return.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Basalamana
Reviewed 27 April 2017

We were looking forward to a "off the beaten path", remote vacation at Blue Horizon. We expected to unplug and unwind, walk the trails and explore Middle Caicos sights and beaches but ultimately we found it to be incredibly boring due to an ungodly amount of mosquitoes and so many closed places on North and Middle Caicos.

The location was beautiful. Mudjin Harbour is incredible and the cottage was cute, well-stocked, comfortable, and clean. We loved all of the bonus gear provided: beach chairs, towels, umbrella, bug spray, bottled water, even a Pack n Play.

However, there were a few drawbacks that took away from our experience. First, the restaurant was not open any of the nights we asked to have dinner (Friday and Monday) when supposedly it is open by reservation. We were just informed that they wouldn't be open and we could order our dinner to our room at 4pm and reheat it later. I understand the challenge of opening for just two people but with the resort being so small, doesn't that happen a lot? Or couldn't they coordinate guests to dine on the same night?
So Mudjin Bar and Grill is only open 11am-4pm - that includes the restaurant and the bar so being a guest here, there are NO options less than 25 minutes away after 4pm.
The biggest problem with that is that there are often no other restaurants open on North or Middle Caicos. Last Chance is closed now (Daniels, Barracuda, Big Josh's all closed) and My Dee's is only open sometimes and is about 25 minutes away but we did not have luck finding it open there either when we tried. Silver Palm is your best option, 35 minutes away and closed on Mondays and Wednesday. We found an incredibly limited menu the day we went, only snapper or chicken but it was delicious and we were grateful to find something open.

The second issue was mostly bad luck but please know that you are gambling booking a trip here - the mosquitoes!
I read reviews about it being "buggy" sometimes but this was way worse than I could have ever imagined. I am okay with getting some bug bites outside at night in the summer but this was a whole different type of thing.

When we arrived, it had rained 12 days prior and the mosquitoes were horrendous! It also rained while we were there making it even worse so it was impossible to go outside between 4pm and 10am. Our planned walks on the beach in the evening were not possible - we tried twice in jeans and sweaters covered in bug spray and both times went running (literally) back to our cottage.

Between 10am and 4pm (middle of the day) on Middle Caicos, you STILL could not be outside without getting attacked my mosquitoes even when covered in bug spray. We could not enjoy any of the beaches or sights (caves, trails) on Middle Caicos. We went to Bambarra Beach at 10am covered in bug spray and STILL the mosquitoes were unbearable. Even while on the breezy beach, standing in the water in the hot sun! It was really a nightmare.

We ended up driving 35 minutes to Pumpkin Bluff on North Caicos each day to enjoy the beach which saved our trip. But having to drive that far each day to the same beach every day, not being able to casually dine out even one night, not being able to explore the remote beaches and interesting sights of Middle Caicos, and having to stay in our cottage after 4pm really put a damper on our trip.

We consider ourselves adventurous and love to go to remote areas away from the crowds but we found ourselves wishing we had just stayed in Provo at a non all-inclusive resort instead.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Colleen22815
Reviewed 7 April 2017

We stayed at Ridgetop at Blue Horizon and really enjoyed it. It was a large room with kitchen, bedroom and livingroom all combined that was airy, clean and decorated as a beach resort should be. We kept the air conditioning off and truly enjoyed the ocean breeze and ceiling fans. The room and bathroom were very clean. We ate at Blue horizon, Mudjin Harbor, one night and it was very good, meal of lobster, rice/beans and a vegetable. Susan, the manager is just an amazing person who knows a lot about the area. She also comes at a moments notice to fix tvs that may not be working, can be a server for dinner and anything else that needs taking care of. Mudjin Harbor was a beautiful place for naturalists - it has a little sand bar, amazing rock formations - not sure it is a swimming beach - we even saw 2 barracudas swimming there. This area lacked the commercialism that Provo offers but it is a great experience to unwind from all the stresses of life. Just a beautiful place to be! We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the simplicity of it all!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank earthgirlNJ
BlueHorizonResort, General Manager at Blue Horizon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2017

Thanks so much for your wonderful review! Yes, you can definitely swim in the Harbor. It might have been a little rough during your stay. Dragon Cay does break up the waves even if the swells are big. The two barracudas are "residents" of Mudjin Harbor. They come and check out snorkelers regularly, as they are very territorial. You can just scare them off or enjoy their swimming along beside you. Barracudas get such a bad rap! If you are dragging dead fish or lobster along - they will not bother you. They are just curious.

Please come back to visit us and stay in touch.

Susan Moore