“May '21 Nice bar, nice customers, not so friendly greeting!”
Review of Cleones

Cleones
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Halesworth
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Great Friendly Restaurant With Great Italian Food Inside A Great English Pub
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have always liked the small back bar of The Angel Hotel in Halesworth. I'm by no means a frequent visitor, but if I am ever in the town, and have a chance, I like to look in and have a pint or two of Adnams. Of course, in recent months this has been impossible, but with lockdown measures easing and my wife being called to Halesworth for a work appointment I thought I'd take advantage of the situation.
I meekly entered the premises, and enquired shyly of the gentleman who loomed in my path whether it was possible to enter the bar and partake of a beverage?
"Make sure your face is covered, follow me....sit there!" he barked. Not the welcome I had perhaps expected after so many months of exile for me and lack of business for them, but then perhaps it was nicer and quieter for him when he didn't have customers ruining his day?
Of course, he had done no wrong. He had merely instructed me correctly in the new rules of engagement when entering licensed premises, but do these new rules also forbid the use of the customary greetings and pleasantries?
The back bar was empty except for one other person, so I could probably have sat anywhere, but I thought it best not to upset the boss, so there I sat. The pint of Adnams was delicious, and I might have stayed for another, but I did not wish to outstay my welcome. Although I think I'd already done that by entering.
I did notice the officious barkeep conversing in a friendly manner to other customers who entered the bar a bit after me, so I can only assume that this period of lockdown has produced in him some kind of intolerance to those that are maybe not local or regulars, but I fear for a business such as a pub or hotel bar that cannot be a bit more friendly to its unknown customers.
Or he might just have been having a bad day.
Or I might have looked like a troublemaker.
I will look in again. It's a marvellous spot to enjoy a quiet pint, or to converse with the regulars who all seemed very friendly.

Write a reviewReviews (256)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great pasta. Great pizza. Service really good. Staff very covid aware and friendly. Definitely worth a visit.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Return visit and food great but left flat by poor service on this occasion, lady very apologetic and appeared embarrassed. Waited ages for plates to be collected and to order dessert, I had to go and ask! By reaction I would say this was a blip so don't be put off, staff just need to be more observant, 3 or 4 times they came in and left with empty trays without scanning the room.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 9 December 2020 via mobile

Amazing. Birthday lunch with the love of my life and this place did not disappoint. OK. Yes, we’ve been here before but these are strange times. Yet it felt like normal. The service was excellent, the food fantastic and every table was booked which screams something!! Thank you so much for being there!! Obviously, as Arne says; “we’ll be back.”

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 9 October 2020

We visited here on a Wednesday night in September to take advantage of their long-running deal - 2 pizzas or pastas with a free 500ml carafe of house wine. The tables were well spread out, the food and service were good, and we weren't hurried.

Date of visit: September 2020