“Hard to beat this place”

Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Since discovering this jewel in June 2015 our family visit it regularly and many guests are repeated guests. Cabins and grounds are kept perfectly but the whole atmosphere is relaxed. When you see the owners so in love with their place, it is simply contagious. I don't think one can find the place that beats this one in sense of nature's beauty, standard of accomodation and privacy level. You feel like you have your piece of lake during your stay. No internet pages and images do fair to this place - it is far far better when you find yourself here. Swimming, kayaking or canoeing, enjoying the view and good book on the porch, walking the trails and so on - everything gets better at Hay Lake.

Room Tip: Cabin 6 is the most isolated one and steps from the sandy beach
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Goodness - nothing makes me feel better than a guest who comes back time after time and loves it as much as we do. Thank you for your feedback - our number one goal is to have people feel relaxed and at home here. I'll look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 16 July 2017

We stayed in a one room cottage. It was very cozy, with a beautiful view out our door. Each cottage has a screened in place to sit in the mornings while you eat the complementary breakfast they bring to your cabin or you can sit on your own personal dock in muskoka chairs. Each night they light a fire at the main house and welcome visitors to come join them if they wish. The main house is always a warm atmosphere to visit or talk to Erin, the host. Erin is a wealth of information and always willing to help or chat.
My husband and I are avid kayakers and fishermen, they possibilities are endless.
My husband chose here to propose to me 11 years ago, and I can not think of somewhere more perfect. We returned this year to celebrate our 10 year anniversary, and look forward to returning again soon with family and friend.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Whoops! You posted a review and it slipped past me! It was so nice to have you return to celebrate your anniversary - and 10 years already! I agree that the kayaking here offers endless opportunities to explore or fish - I saw a lake trout and a nice bass caught from a kayak this summer. Thanks for the feedback - and come back soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2017

We stayed at Hay Lake Lodge in June, a time when the mosquitoes and blackfly were at their worst! Despite these biters we had a wonderful time and especially valued our cabin's screen porch, which allowed us to spend the evenings 'outside' but sufficiently protected. Hay Lake Lodge is lovely - a 'traditional' Ontario lakeside lodge with cabins. I loved the fact that our cabin (the smallest of the 6 on offer) was compact and that it hasn't been enlarged into a sprawling modern cottage. We used one of the canoes (there are also kayaks) to head off on several paddles, both into Algonquin Park itself and to explore Hay Lake. Our explorations meant that we saw moose and loons and had some wonderful 'close encounters' with beavers.

Room Tip: Wifi is available in the central lodge but not the cabins. This means you really will switch off!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a1erin
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback! I was so impressed how you enjoyed all that Hay Lake and Algonquin have to offer - and yes, I am glad for our screened porches too. They certainly make spring evenings pleasant. Thanks again for the feedback - it helps us know what our guests enjoy - and no, we won't be changing to a sprawling development!

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have spent time at Hay Lake Lodge at least once a year for the past three or so years and it is always a pleasure. Erin greets you like a friend and is nothing if not one of the best hosts I have experienced in my travels.
The staff are also friendly and kind!

The grounds are meticulously groomed and the cabins have everything you would need and more. Having canoes and kayaks ready and available are wonderful - as avid canoe enthusiasts, it gave my husband and I the chance to try kayaking!

We will return again and continue to come back as often as we can! A great getaway!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Good morning - thank you for this. We do want our guests to feel at home here. It was great to see the two of you kayaking - you know I think everyone belongs in a kayak :) It's always a pleasure having you here and I'll look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

This beautiful place is located at the end of a dead end road - no traffic noise - just songbirds, loons and a visit from friendly Francine (or is it Fergus?) the fox. We stayed in cabin #3 June 16-18 2017. Erin, the wonderful owner, greeted us with a warm smile and hearty handshake. She took us to our cabin and showed us around. The cabin is very tastefully decorated with modern amenities, fully stocked kitchen (cooking tools, dinnerware, pots, pans etc.), huge rainfall showerhead and a very comfortable bed. There is a large screened in sunroom that's great protection from the bugs and rain. Also included is full use of canoes, kayaks, paddleboat (lifejackets provided) and Algonquin Park! Each morning, Chantel delivered to us an amazing breakfast - warm and freshly baked muffins, croissants, home made jam (or honey!), yogurt, eggs, bowl of fresh fruit, coffee and juice. It was very delish! The grounds were well groomed and dotted with colourful flowers. The staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area. Thank you Erin, Chantel and Wes. We hope to make this an annual visit.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

It was so nice of you to choose us for your anniversary weekend! Thank you for the kind words. We do try to make sure you have what you need to really relax. The fox is still making evening rounds :). It would be great to see you next year. Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitney
20.5 km away
The Mad Musher
#5 of 6 in Whitney
12.2 km away
Algonquin East Gate Motel

Been to Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages? Share your experiences!