All reviewsevery morningyogurtscreened in porchboiled eggsa wonderful stayhomemade jamsfluffy pillowsthis place is a gemannual visitgenerous breakfastquiet sideenjoying the viewmy husband and iwonderful hospitalitypeace and quietabsolutely everythingcomfortable chairs
Reviewed 25 September 2017

We had a wonderful time at Hay Lake Lodge. Erin, our host, made us feel like family. The cottage was very clean and well appointed. A beautiful breakfast was delivered to our cabin each morning. The view from the cabins and lodge was amazing and strangers soon became friends as we gathered at the lodge patio for a fire each evening. It was close to Algonquin Park so day visits were a breeze. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

It was a pleasure having you visit. Thank you for sharing your photos - it was great that the loon finally cooperated! Your feedback is much appreciated. Making our guests feel at home and giving them a chance to enjoy the natural beauty around here is what we strive for. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I had the pleasure of spending 2 days in Cabin 4 over the long weekend. The cabin was the perfect size for 2 people but could comfortably accommodate 4 ppl.

Everything was spotless, beds were comfy, ample towels provided, the breakfasts delivered to the cabin are a nice touch. I prefer more protein with my breakfast but I'm sure if I made a request Erin would have accommodated me. The lodge is wonderfully charming with a stone fireplace that kept the damp edge off. Outside there is a firebowl that is a great spot to sit after dinner. Our cabin didn't pick up the wifi which actually was a good thing as it allowed me to unplug for a few days! Wifi is available at the lodge if you "need" it.

Erin is the perfect host and is very much suited for the hospitality industry. I especially loved how quiet the resort was. It was full but you wouldn't know it except for the cars parked at each cabin. The grounds are well kept with little decor touches everywhere.

I look forward to going back again!

Room Tip: Cabin 5 seems to have the most privacy from the other cabins. Cabin 6 has its own outdoor fire pit.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you so much for the evaluation. It seemed to work out so well that we had those two days available for you. Yes for sure, another egg or some cheese would have been no problem! I appreciated your husband's help showing fishing techniques to some of the other guests - it made their day! You are welcome whenever you can return.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Erin was a loving hostess, who had very homey cottages, which were well equipped and had many thoughtful contents to make our stay comfortable, and cooking convenient.
The breakfast, brought to our door, was delicious and extra homemade jam was available for sale to take home.
Everything was well kept (no small task) and much appreciated by the guests from all over the world.
We hope to return.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Goodness- Trip Advisor forgot to tell me you sent a review! Thank you for the feedback (I agree, Charlene's jam is the best!) I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We definitely aim to have you feel at home here. It would be a pleasure to see you again.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights in July 2017. The accommodation is located approximately 5 minutes from the main road down a quiet side road and approximately 15 minutes from the small local town of Whitney. Algonquin park itself is a further 5 minutes drive from Whitney.

The lodge is in a spectacular and peaceful setting right on the shores of Hay Lake with plenty of water craft for complimentary use (we had a go at the kayaks which was great fun even as complete novice's). Fishing also seems to be a popular pastime here and there are bicycles to borrow if you are so inclined.

Our cabin was right on the lake shore and i would call it more rustic rather than luxurious. The cabin was perfectly clean on arrival but there was no further cleaning during our stay. The rooms were small with not a lot of room for suitcases or places to hang things (not that this is the sort of place you bring your sunday best to anyway). Being virtually off grid there were no safes in the cabins, not even a key to lock the cabin when you're out, no TV and very patchy wi-fi. There are plenty of board games in the main lodge which you are free to take back to your cabin to trigger those family arguments if you so wish (they were quite useful after dark!).

The bed was perfectly comfortable (although not very big) but the bathroom felt a bit like being in a caravan with cheap & nasty toilet paper and a very small shower cubicle with a fixed head that didn't make it particularly easy to wash properly.

A covered porch and separate bathing deck face right out across the lake and make for a magnificent view especially one evening after dark when an electric storm was raging across the lake.

There's a small swimming beach and the water was surprisingly mild but the floor of the lake is covered in some kind of slimy weed so take rubber swimming shoes.

The hosts were very friendly and delivered a nice fresh breakfast to our door every morning bang on the time we requested it for. They also offer a small choice of food for evening meals with a particularly nice (and sickly) chocolate cake.

Bugs. There are bugs. Lots of them. And they bite. Take some good bug spray and use it! Even when using spray we were all bitten several times. Other wildlife is more interesting and we saw chipmunks, groundhogs & loons around the grounds.

This is a lovely place to stay. Although the prices are steep you shouldn't be too disappointed if you go expecting rustic cabins rather than luxurious lodges.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time for this review. It is always helpful for me to see Hay Lake from a guest's point of view. It is true that this has been an unusually bad year for bugs - it has made me very grateful we screened our porches all those years ago! Your feedback has me thinking whether it's time to start giving out keys to our guests - I still leave my keys in my car's ignition but there is so much talk of security these days perhaps it would be reassuring. I'm glad you enjoyed the beauty of the area. I think Hay Lake Lodge does emphasize its natural surroundings over luxury amenities. We do offer a mid-stay linen change and cabin freshening for guests staying longer than 5 nights (and I agree - that toilet paper was a mistake! - trying to protect our plumbing system - I found better) We want every guest to be glad they stayed here - your feedback encourages me to keep looking for details to increase guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

A perfect place to experience the great outdoors with all the comforts of home. Erin and the friendly staff go out of their way to ensure the guests really enjoy their visit. Cabin 5 was perfect for our needs and we appreciated the many thoughtful touches such as the ample supply of fluffy pillows and cozy blankets. It was a pleasure to sit and enjoy the view of the lake, paddle a kayak or stroll around the grounds. There are lots of books available in the lodge and cabin or those who like to read. Thank you Erin for your wonderful hospitality!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

It was a pleasure having you here. Thank you for your review. I am always glad to hear that people feel at home here - it is exactly the feeling we are aiming for. And I do agree with you - it is always a pleasure to sit and watch Hay Lake!