“Autumnal Splendour”

Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages
Reviewed 16 October 2017

The Lodge and Cottages close for the season in mid October, and we were just there for the last weekend. It is 5 kms off the highway, so once there you are immersed in the quietness of nature and the beauty of the views across Hay Lake. Erin, owner and operator, welcomed us and immediately we felt at home. Breakfast was brought to our cottage each morning which we ate in the screened in porch. The Lodge and Cottages are close enough to Algonquin Park, (near to the east gate) but far enough away that you do not get the impact of the busloads of tourists who come through the west gate. If you want to visit Algonquin Park, and have a quiet retreat from the crowds - I highly recommend Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Thank you for your comments - aren't we lucky to be off the highway? I was happy you chose our lodge for a birthday celebration, and am glad you were pleased with the outcome. It was a great way to wind up our season. I hope you'll come back next year!

Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

The Hay Lake Lodge is a paradise. It's unbelievably quiet and beautiful. Perfect place to for a getaway. The lake and the place is like for yourself only, the only sound I can hear was water, breeze and my own breath when I was kayaking on the late or walking around at the resort. And thanks Erin for her awesome hospitality. I definitely recommend this place !

Stayed: October 2017

Thank you for the review - it was such a pleasure to see how enthusiastically you enjoyed your time here. I hope you will be able to come and stay longer next time!

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

On the quiet side of Algonquin Park, Whitney is a six cabin retreat. Every cabin has a private deck on the lake to soak up the sun, enjoy the view and relax. Also, a large deck on the lake close to the lodge itself has a terraced patio with large campfire and comfortable chairs for gatherings.
We were welcomed by the owner, Erin who is a gem and has owned the lodge for 30+ years.
An extremely generous breakfast is served on a tray every morning with homemade baked goods and jams, eggs, fresh fruit and yoghurt.
The cabins have a well outfitted kitchen for cooking, and very comfortable beds with quilts and handspun throws and cozy wood stoves for chilly nights.
The lodge has everything to offer for rainy days, comfy seating by a large stone fireplace, yummy baking, coffee/tea and a well stocked bar. Games, puzzles, books and computer corner.
We have booked for next year, can't wait.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Wow- thank you for the kind words. I love seeing Hay Lake through others' eyes. I'm glad that you felt comfortable and enjoyed the handmade touches. It's all about relaxing and enjoying the beautiful peace and quiet isn't it? Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback - it really helps other people get a feel for the place. Looking forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We had a wonderful time at Hay Lake Lodge. Erin, our host, made us feel like family. The cottage was very clean and well appointed. A beautiful breakfast was delivered to our cabin each morning. The view from the cabins and lodge was amazing and strangers soon became friends as we gathered at the lodge patio for a fire each evening. It was close to Algonquin Park so day visits were a breeze. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Erin-HayLake, Owner at Hay Lake Lodge and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

It was a pleasure having you visit. Thank you for sharing your photos - it was great that the loon finally cooperated! Your feedback is much appreciated. Making our guests feel at home and giving them a chance to enjoy the natural beauty around here is what we strive for. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I had the pleasure of spending 2 days in Cabin 4 over the long weekend. The cabin was the perfect size for 2 people but could comfortably accommodate 4 ppl.

Everything was spotless, beds were comfy, ample towels provided, the breakfasts delivered to the cabin are a nice touch. I prefer more protein with my breakfast but I'm sure if I made a request Erin would have accommodated me. The lodge is wonderfully charming with a stone fireplace that kept the damp edge off. Outside there is a firebowl that is a great spot to sit after dinner. Our cabin didn't pick up the wifi which actually was a good thing as it allowed me to unplug for a few days! Wifi is available at the lodge if you "need" it.

Erin is the perfect host and is very much suited for the hospitality industry. I especially loved how quiet the resort was. It was full but you wouldn't know it except for the cars parked at each cabin. The grounds are well kept with little decor touches everywhere.

I look forward to going back again!

Room Tip: Cabin 5 seems to have the most privacy from the other cabins. Cabin 6 has its own outdoor fire pit.