Methven Motels & Apartments
Redwood Lodge(Methven)
The Lodge(Methven)
All reviewsspa bathmt huttkitchenetteshowerheaterhosts
Reviewed 29 July 2016

We are a young couple who wanted a nice place to stay while skiing at Mt Hutt for the week. Methven Motels did not disappoint.
We chose an Executive Studio w/ Spa Bath because it housed a small kitchenette. On arrival we were upgraded to a Two Bedroom Apartment due to another couple wanting to stay on in the Studio.
Our room was upstairs, was very warm and had a fairly nice view of the mountains. The kitchenette was the perfect size for the two of us; it had a decent sized fridge-freezer, two gas elements, big pantry and plenty of pots, pans, plates & utensils. Bathroom was spacious & clean and having under-tile heating was a bonus.
Bed was comfy and the heat-pump made sure we were never too cold.
TV was small but we weren't there to watch movies all day anyway. There were 3 Sky channels (Movies/Sport/Disney) and plenty of DVDs to choose from in reception for free.
Staff were lovely and chatty.
Only downsides were the Wi-Fi was expensive (guest book said $5 for 100MB), and the Pub menu's, also in the guest book, were very out of date; we were rather sad when we got to the Brown Pub and they no longer did Pork Belly or Blue Cod!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Mocksey, Owner at Methven Motels & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2016

Thank you for staying and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I wish you had asked about the wi fi as people who book direct I give for free as I am not loosing commission to anyone. When I am asked about places to eat I tell people the menus are only a guide line as they are out of date. Some of the places are not very good at keeping us up to date with there menus. You were great customers and we hope you will come back again. You left the room very tidy which we always appreciate.

Linda

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

Cheap and niggardly . Eg washed my socks and undies and left them to dry on towel rail , heated .But came home to find it turned off . Yes they turn everything off to save power the minute you leave . The tv is out of the ark. ie 20 years old the picture doesn't fit screen . They want to charge 5 per day for the Internet ! 5 star prices for a 1 star dump. No oven two rings cheap pots pans toaster that is set on low. 4 dollars for washing 4 dollars for drying and 250 dollars night . A total ripoff

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Johnkarenjack
Mocksey, Owner at Methven Motels & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2016

T.V is 10 years old. Even so it has a remote which you only have to pick up to alter the picture size. People change it when watching a DVD. The toaster I thought was controlled by the person putting the bread in as to how brown they want it. You were traveling with kids and they are so smart these days you should have consulted them.
Book direct and the internet is free.
I never turned off the towel rail but I would have thought everyone turned off heating and electric blankets before they went out for the day. Common sense in case there is an electrical fault and not to waste power.

Reviewed 8 May 2015

Great cozy motel. Good rooms, friendly staff, quiet and a short walk to town. What more can I say in 200 characters minimum. They have a clothes line and drying room for wet gear. The electric kettles work. Nice baths for relaxing in.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank kiwitripper64
Reviewed 1 May 2015

Strange how experiences vary.

We were referred here from an over full Ashburton and, though a long way out, we found it to be excellent.

Very helpful and friendly owner and a very spacious and well equipped unit that was also nice and warm on a chilly evening. Quiet and very clean with very good facilities. All in all, we were sorry to have just the one night stay.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Observer2908
Mocksey, Owner at Methven Motels & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2015

Thank you for your review, we hope you may be able to come back again.

Reviewed 16 April 2015

My biggest gripe for this motel is that when I asked about internet I was told it would cost $5.00 for the duration of our stay. As most people only overnight in a motel we believe this is too high. Given that there is Zenbu out there they could have offered 500MB for free as most places we stay in do.
We were surprised that there was no privacy in the room unless you closed the drapes. Yes it is wonderful to see the view, but it is not pleasant to have anyone who walks by being able to look in to your room. The motel itself was clean & tidy, with quality bedding, though none of the glasses in our kitchen cupboard matched. We were also very surprised, given the relative newness of the motel, to find an old-fashioned TV in our room, and the controls for the TV/SKY are not easy to use.
When we checked in we were told that we had been 'upgraded' for free to an upstairs room with a spa bath. We never asked for this and a quick phone call to the contact number provided to ask if we would like to be upgraded would have been welcome.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell them is you want a ground floor room
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kezzie K
Mocksey, Owner at Methven Motels & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2015

15 minutes before this lady arrived an elderly couple came in who couldn't manage stairs. Since the lady had not specified down stairs I shifted them upstairs. When she arrived I explained what happened and that if the stairs were an issue she could have a 2 bedroom apartment down stairs.She told me that was fine, no problem. I am always upgrading people from our budget units to the apartments, or to spa bath units and in 9 years this is the first time I have had a complaint for doing so. The TV are only 8 years old and have a good quality picture and sound. I think they are better than the flat screen TV in the other rooms, where TV's have broken down and been replaced. No one can get the internet free, we all have to pay a company and most Motels in Methven charge for it. We have a good provider and I think $5.00 for 24 hours and you can attach the code to 3 devices is cheap. If you are staying more than one day we give the first day free.I will not put the price of my room up to incorporate the internet like a lot of Motels do. Not every one wants the internet or the TV when they are staying away for the night or on Holiday. We were going to get more Sky channels but after doing a survey most people on Holiday were not bothered about the TV.