“Good Food and Atmosphere”

Old Mountaineers' Cafe, Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2019

Was slightly skeptical of the food that it would be overpriced. However, the quality of the food really surprised us! Had my first ever vegan pizza and it was really good! They also served hands down the best hot chocolate we had in New Zealand!

Date of visit: August 2019
Harriet W, Owner at Old Mountaineers' Cafe, Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2019

Outstanding. Yes, lots of people don't realise that we have to pay the Department of Conservation for operating here, two lots of rates, and high transport fees to get supplies in, along with paying our staff over the minimum wage and providing accommodation for them, so it all adds up, but we have managed to keep something for everyone on the menu at affordable prices. Travel safe.

Reviewed 18 August 2019

Meals are varied. You can choose meals such as burgers or I had very tasty, well cooked salmon. It was clean and with friendly staff.

Date of visit: March 2019

Excellent, thank for letting us know! Travel safe.

Reviewed 18 August 2019

My partner and I visited the Old Mountaineers' Cafe on a cold Sunday night. Upon entering I immediately felt like a mountaineer from the old times. I was able to take off my Rossi boots and rest my weary mountain feet by the mountaineer fire... we had walked 100 meters and appreciated the heat. Once I had warmed my mountain body I joined my partner at a table for two. She had been waiting for some time.

Together, as a team, we examined the menu. Now let's be real my mountain friends, we aren't in Queenstown any more. Prices in this Mountaineers' cafe were steep, if you get what I mean (wink) unless you have the whit and knowledge of a well-travelled mountaineer. My partner was indecisive about the menu and settled with the korma curry. Her first mistake. I, however, with my newly acquired mountaineer strength, ordered a meat lovers pizza and a bowl of chips, a meal not only financially savvy, but wholesome enough to fill this mountain of a man.

Not too long after we ordered, the waitress appeared to inform my partner that they were out of korma curry. She was disappointed which led to her being frustrated and sad. She then revised her order and went for the beef mince burger. Her second mistake. The waitress disappeared with the revised order; it was some time until she would reappear. During this time I quenched my thirst with ale from the mountain. My partner had water. Also from the mountain, but not as thirst quenching.

When our meals arrived my spirit was elevated, like a mountain. My meat lovers’ pizza looked large and wide, with a fair amount of both bacon and salami. The bowl of fries matched it perfectly. It would be a mountain of a meal. My partner's mince beef burger; in her own words "basic home-made burger that you would make yourself at lunch time with $5 worth of ingredients"

She should have ordered the pizza.

So the take-home message here my mountaineering friends, order off the pizza menu when you visit a mountaineering cafe. And don't forget the bow of chips matched with mountain ale.

Date of visit: August 2019

Well, sorry to hear that our curry was so popular it was sold out and the hamburger did not meet the requirements. Would have been good to know at the time. The meat is NZ grass-fed minced beef and made up by hand in our kitchen; would have been happy to get anything that wasn't in the burger that she wanted at the time. Delighted you enjoyed your pizza and beer.

Reviewed 11 August 2019

After walking on the snow, we need to warm up. Typical cafe provide coffee, tea, and chocolate - all is HOT for sure. Pizza is recommended, though quite large portion to share.

1  Thank 657edwardt
Harriet W, Owner at Old Mountaineers' Cafe, Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2019

Thank you for your positive review and delighted it sustained you.

Reviewed 8 August 2019

The steak sandwich and hot chocolate were the best! This place was open (before their listed opening hours) when the Hermitage Cafe refused to serve us 10 mins before their closing time. Great place!

Date of visit: August 2019
Harriet W, Owner at Old Mountaineers' Cafe, Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2019

Oh, that is GREAT to hear! Thanks so much and so glad we were able to help you! Travel safe.