“Good value, let down by food”
Review of KN Matas Blancas

KN Matas Blancas
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Reviewed 23 May 2015

I visited in April 2015. Booked full board with drinks option and stayed 7 nights.

Because of delays in the transfer (nothing to do with the hotel) I arrived really late - and was delighted that they had put a simple meal aside for me (cold meats, salad etc.)

The room was large and clean, plenty of storage space. Maybe just beginning to look tired if you inspect very closely. I had a poolside ground floor room that had a small patio with 2 chairs, table and two sunbeds - which I really appreciated.

The pool area was lovely. Plenty of open space for sun-worshipers, but also some shade for those of us who need to be careful, I really liked the handful of canopied double beds!

The spacious spa was great: steam room, sauna, plunge pool, jacuzzi, showers - and a strange pebbled walkway that I never did fathom... All free. Because of an injury I didn't try the massages (paid for).

Entertainment... well, a couple of nights there was a guy with an organ and a singer. They weren't bad, actually. But it's not the high life! Fortunately, I was happy to sit there with my Kindle and my own music. With my injury I wasn't up to anything else!

I can't comment on the location. My lack of mobility restricted me to the hotel

I didn't pay for room wifi. There is free wifi in the reception area - decent enough for me to download ebooks from Amazon, which is all I wanted.

I felt the food was a mixed bag. Breakfast was very good. Dinners were ok. It was typical euro-tourist (nothing that offends any particular culture, with the occasional local dish). Nothing to complain about, but it was distinctly average in my view. Lunch was very basic - some salad, option of a meat or fish dish and chips, a bit of fruit and the usual weird puddings found everywhere: overly sweet cakey thing with equally sweet gunk. Very disappointing. Once I ordered a burger from the pool bar menu instead - it was not pleasant. The drinks option gives you free drinks at lunch and dinner time only. Fine by me (I'm not a heavy drinker) but you do need to be aware that it's not an all-day offering.

Service was very good throughout. Although sometimes you had to wait a few minutes to order a drink because the bartender was singing. :-) Didn't bother me, as I'm quite a chilled person.

I'm struggling with my overall rating. 3* would feel very mean. 4* is warranted in some respects, not in others. If they would just improve the food slightly it would be a clear 4* (at least in terms of value for money).

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Shivari

Reviewed 23 May 2015

My husband and I are just back from Best Age Hotel Costa Calma Feurtaventura and we had a very restful holiday due to the fact there is nothing to do in Costa Calma. Very few shops, very few pubs and very few resturants! It is constantly windy that to go to the beach you get sand blasted. The hotel was great and the staff are very friendly and cannot do enough for you. Roco the singing barman was great. Reynaldo one of the waiters is a lovely lad, very helpful and friendly. Angleo at reception is also very helpful and nothing is too much trouble for him. We wanted a relaxing holiday and that is what we got! Rooms were excellent and quiet at night. Restaurant could have made the food hotter and if you like fish you will be happy, don't expect to get red meat as we had it only once in the week we were there. Turkey, chicken and pork are the main meat dishes, the sweets could do with a bit of an upgrade as it was cake, jelly and tinned fruit every night and some pink or chocolate splodge.
The hotel is at the top of a hill so not good for anyone with walking problems.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking to pool on the top floor as you get the sun most of the day.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heather m
Reviewed 16 May 2015

We went Half Board Plus. Our room was great. Cleaned 5 days out of 7. However this hotel well away from bar and restaurants not a lot to do in the surrounding area suggest hire a car. The weather was wet windy and I was glad I had my travel kettle. Not much in entertainment guy on an organ. Drinks very expensive and there is really no were to go. Food could have been warmer bit there is a microwave if required. Not got great shopping in the area suggest go day out to the bigger towns. 2 hours by bus to Corralejo booked this at reception however bus 2 hours late (wasn't booked) brief stop at the Dunes. Think the surrounding area has suffered due to current financial climate and all inclusive trends hence why a lot of shops, cafes and restaurants now closed. Thank goodness for the TV on the rainy days.
We had a relaxing holiday but just too quiet true to name Costa Calma.

Room Tip: Wifi free at reception if your are luck to get signal. Our room had sun from early morning this on...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank MaggieB123
Reviewed 12 May 2015 via mobile

Booked a 'with drinks' package to this hotel and found it to be excellent value for money!

Had arranged to meet up with friends and we had a lovely time - not sure I would go on our own as not many people about but was good as a group.

Food was very plentiful and always a good choice - nothing really to complain about at all!

Rooms and balcony very spacious and bathroom clean with a good water supply!

A long walk into Costa Calma so a car is recommended but driving around was easy - not much traffic about - and enabled us to get to some lovely places!

Only negative point is the WiFi problem - only in reception and extremely slow! I know you don't go on holiday to spend hours on the internet but it's handy to keep in touch via email and it was virtually impossible most days!

All in all though a lovely hotel and very quiet so good sleep quality!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne Marie D
Reviewed 12 May 2015 via mobile

Stayed for ten nights, I think we were the only British there, totally dead, hotel great very pleased especially sauna area, hotel is in the wrong location nothing to do, it was like having a holiday on the moon, no tea making facilities in the rooms, the whole island was dead, you need to hire a car as we did and travelled every were, no sights to see at all, the all inclusive has killed this island. If you are looking for bars then don't bother, there are a few but spread out and about half hour walk, taxis very cheap to get back, about 3.50 euros. But they are dead. Great beaches

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1.4 km away
R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference
16.7 km away
Occidental Jandia Royal Level - Adults Only

Been to KN Matas Blancas? Share your experiences!