“Interesting, educational”

Spaceship Aurora - visitor center at Andoya Space Center
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Andenes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Andoya Space Center is the only operating space center in Europe. Spaceship Aurora is the visitor- educational and activity center linked to Andøya Space Center. MISSION "Solar Storm". At Spaceship Aurora you can experience a virtual trip into space, learn to know the Northern Lights, get more knowledge of the origin and effect on our planet, and how the Northern lights are reflected in Norwegian history and culture. You will take part in sientific experiments, launch virtual probes and get an impression of how the day to day life is like at a Space Center. The Spaceship offers activities for all age groups. A Mission Commander will guide you and your group thru the Aurora mission. We can also offer fun souvenirs from our Space Shop. 3D-FILM Unraveling the Cosmos A 20 minutes 3D-film about how we humans explore space, and what we know -so far. Cool 3D effects and nice graphics. NORTHERN LIGHTS FILM AND EXHIBITIONS. A short widescreen film about the history of the reserch of the Northern Lights and how rockets from Andoya are used in the reserch. The center offers exciting exhibitions, experiments and films showing Aurora Borealis and Norway as a space nation.
Reviewed 16 August 2015

interesting information about aurora borealis. The aurora spaceship is mostly an educational game for children.

All reviews
"movie"
"button"
"insight"

Reviewed 1 August 2015

I noticed most of the reviewers have wrote positive experiences of visiting this place. However, each reviewer does so through previous experiences and expectations. I've been to a number of educational exhibits, including the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. Which is free to visit. I purchased the Northern Lights film and Spaceship Aurora mission. The film was about 30 minutes. It was very interesting learning about the discoveries made about the Northern Lights. Next came the Spaceship Aurora. This was a bit disappointing considering the extra price. It was basically just a room with 2 front windows looking at a screen. Every station had touchscreens and you are required to complete tasks. Something that most teens and kids would enjoy. In fact, the whole setup for Spaceship Aurora is meant more for children in school as part of educating them about the Northern Lights. In the location of Spaceship Aurora, there is a large room that contains a satellite, rocket, etc. But for the most part the room is empty. I saw the potential for more to be done here. More educational facts and hands-on displays. Overall, I expected more because that's what the price led me to believe.

1  Thank Graystealth
Reviewed 19 January 2015 via mobile

Very informative! Also great fun if you do the mission! It was just the two of us but the staff is not any less enthusiastic if it's not a large crowd! The space mission is probably more fun with kids and a bigger group but it was a great way to spend some time!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Visiting the spaceship Aurora was definitely one of the best things we did in this area with a very diverse age group in our party (from 86 to 4). Everyone could join in the fun of the space simulation - even a couple of us who didn't speak English. I guess we all mostly enjoyed the fun the 4 year old got out of the experience as he covered his eyes on his re-approach to earth. We think that he still really believes that he was in space.
For the adults in the group we all maybe expected the simulation to be a bit more theme-park-esque given modern technology capabilities (I mean I guess we thought it might actually move around a little or judder or go vertical) but there wasn't much apart from for the control panels and the front screen to stimulate space for the adults. I guess their intention was for us to understand more the scientific obligations and timelines involved in being up there and there was certainly enough 'stimulated sampling' to get involved with. But it was definitely fun so long as you are happy to enter into the spirit of it all, dress up, etc and the lady who was our guide was definitely excellent. So well recommended and the only reason we didn't give it 5 stars was because of the small lack of potential spice. As a normal family activity, however, particularly with kids aged under 12, it would be super great.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Andøy and Bleik has always been my favorite place. As a little girl I once visited Oksebåsen, or Andøy Space Senter as it's called nowadays, before it was allowed for tourists. My uncle was working there som we had a little guided tour by him. No he has retired. This year Spaceship Aurora was establised so I was eager to see it once again. This time my son came alone as well. With the information video before we entered the spaceship, gave us more basic information.
It was a funny way to learn more about the Northern Light or Aurora as it is call as well.
I think it would have been even better if we had more time onbord the Spaceship to switch the roles.
All information was given in English so small children may have problems to follow the video, but still I think they will like the feeling of beeing out in the space.

I just want to ad a curiosity.
One of my cousin one removed was born at Andenes in October 2004. The night she was born it was a lot of Northern Light, so they named her Aurora after this happening. I met her this year at Bleik and she really is an Aurora.

Travellers who viewed Spaceship Aurora - visitor center at Andoya Space Center also viewed

Andenes, Andoy Municipality

Been to Spaceship Aurora - visitor center at Andoya Space Center? Share your experiences!