All reviewsworking farmfarm animalssoda breadapple crumblehomemade sconesfull irish breakfastsitting roomwonderful staythree nightsnext morningenjoyed our staynational parkfarm experiencefeed the pigsreal farmchase parkcaroline
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Wonderful stay. Nice room, lovely farm, great breakfast, very warm and helpful hosts. Great family experience. Easy access to restaurants and pubs and plenty of places to visit and things to do nearby.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I have just escaped with my three children (physically unscathed and alive... just...emotionally disturbed however...) from what can only be described as a Stephen King thriller night at Rigney farm.
The kids literally could not wait to arrive at Rigney's and we left at 6pm from Dublin to make the journey as they could not wait until the next morning to "collect the eggs" from the hens to eat for breakfast. I had ok'd a late arrival the with Caroline (car trouble earlier in the day) and expected to arrive around 9pm which we did. I arrived with my three kids (ages 6, 5 almost 3) in toe; my husband planning to join me after a golf overnighter in Co.Clare. Far from a "warm welcome", we arrived to a dark cold house that has not been updated since chintzy curtains and vinyl tablecovers came into fashion. There was no offer of refreshment of any kinds andI had to ask if I could have a cup of tea after the long journey and there certainly were no "fresh scones and open fire on arrival"!! Caroline asked if we wanted a fire lit and as the kids had all slept in the car and were going to be awake for about an hour I said yes. Joe proceeded to put down a fire in the living room and I went to get the kids out of the car. I returned to a densely smokey living room and could hardly see Joe through the blue smoke and thought the place had caught fire. I called Caroline and she went in and opened the windows (which kind of defied the purpose of the warm fire!!) but obviously a direct health hazard gets priority. It was a shambles from start to finish. I had a cup of tea and apple crumble (not very nice) whilst myself and the kids were mauled and licked by the two large Labrador dogs. I am not a dog person but there was no question as to was I or the kids ok with the dogs.
We were shown to the bedroom which was top floor attic room. It was basically an ice-box and I only realised the next morning that the velux window was wide open behind curtains that were already drawn (not very safe when you have a 2.5 year old who could have easily toppled out as it was at climbing level!!). The balket for the travel cot was filthy with dried food/?child vomit on it eventhough Caroline said it was perfectly clean. I refused to use it for my child therefore she had to sleep without a blanket. We were given no key for the room or the house and I felt very uncomfortable about this. There were no tea cups beside the kettle but only a mini-pack of bourbon creams which were already opened and half-eaten. The place had a very "sticky"/dirty feeling.
Next thing was being woken at 3am by the resident rooster which woke not only myself but also my 6 year old at that time. The crowing did not stop until 8am!!
Breakfast was very half hearted in the cramped dining are off the kitchen (there are 3 tables squashed into a space the size of a broom cupboard. The two resident dogs joined us for our food and Caroline encouraged my kids to feed them scraps from the table-how disgusting and unhygienic!! Despite the website offering flowery descriptions of cooked breakfasts, collecting the eggs from the hens... blah blah blah... none of this happened. I had to ask for a fry as this was not considered standard despite all you read on their website-total fabrication!! Caroline said the kids would be taken to collect the eggs straight after breakfast. Only juice offered at breakfast was Tesco apple juice in a carton on the table. After breakfast, we enquired about collecting the eggs as needless to say the kids were so looking forward to it. Caroline told us to go out and have a look around the farm ourselves and she would get Joe to come out and do the egg collection with us. We ventured out having been given no orientation around the farm and no advice on safety issues etc on the farm. I only thought of the latter points in hindsight as from the reviews on tripadvisor one could be forgiven for imagining we were off to the Swiss family Robinson hotel!! The farm was in a pityful state! There were low lying electric fences all over the farm which could have easily done damage to my children had I not had the vision to guide them away from the fences. I am from a farming background myself and always have safety in mind on farms, its a reflex for me thankfully. However there was also an electric fence which had blown down and was emitting currents into the ground as the clicking of the current could be heard. This is highly dangerous!!
There was no sight of any chickens or ducks and all we could see were pigs and a few cows. The conditions of the farm were filthy and there was alot of machinery left out (see pictures) which should not have been where they were.
Neither Caroline nor Joe made an appearance but after about 10 minute trying to escape tragedy on the farmyard I saw Joe walking down the lane away from the house. I went back to the kitchen door and asked Caroline what the situation was and she said he had gone to help at a local pumpkin patch at a local garden centre but he'd be back in the afternoon and we could collect eggs then. The kids were notably disappointed and so Caroline said she would collect "two eggs" for them!!! We went to the hen house and she let out the hens and collected a few eggs. It was very half-hearted and luke-warm and we could not have felt like more of an inconvenience to her. She was telling me about the pumpkin patch festival and advised me to go there for the morning. I didn't really appreciate having come to a farm for a farm experience and then having to go out straight away having not had the farm experience!! Anyway, I didn't see anything else to do on the farm other than risk my kids lives' avoiding electric fences and an open trampoline (see photo) so I agreed to go. In the meantime a BMW car drove into the yard to pick up a trailer. It was a neighbour or friend of the family. He did not slow down or seem mindful that children could have been at the farm and on his departure he almost pinned my child to the wall with the trailer as my child was running away from a goose who had been just let loose in the shed and only for I roared so loud that I made myself hoarse he would not have stopped the car and there would most unquestionably have been a fatality at the farm. I said it to Caroline who was standing right beside me and she said she didn't see what happened!! There is no way she couldn't have seen it! Total cop-out!
At this stage I thought it was definitely time to escape. I was totally shaken by the experience and in a tizzy with the whole situation. I could not believe how untrue the website had been.
For the pumpkin patch, it costed 20 euro for a shuttle bus to the place and then a further 8 euro for each pumpkin so I had now spent the guts of 40euro and it wasn't even 10am!! I met Joe there carving pumpkins for his daughter and grandchildren and I told him that we were disappointed that he had not collected the eggs and that we were having to leave the farm for entertainment. He didn't seem apologetic at all! What a host!! The pumpkin patch was quite a damp squib.
I returned back to the house but had already made the decision I wasn't going to stay another minute there. It was an appalling let-down and the safety was the deal-breaker. I rang the doorbell (having not been given a key) and Caroline delayed in answering the door. I told her as I walked up to the bedroom that I was disappointed with the conditions and the stay so far and that we would not be staying another night. She asked me why and before I could get a word out she turned into Kathy Bates from Misery and started lambasting me and said "well I'm going to ask that you leave now infact"!! She was shouting at me and I had to ask her to keep her voice down infront of the kids. It was totally inappropriate and she literally turned psycho. I packed the bags as quickly as I could and ushered the kids down the stairs as quickly and safely as possible. She then came after me out of her bedroom where she was drying her hair and again started to ask me what was so wrong with the stay??? I got the kids into the car and I tried to awnser her question but she would have none of it. I told her my concerns with the farmyard safety, the electric fence, my child almost having been run over by her friend and her retort was "well if you had any control over your kids that wouldn't have happened"!! I was totally shocked! I honestly thought she had lost her mind because there was no defending the safety issues on the farm. I told her I wasn't impressed at having to ask for a cooked breakfast as this is standard in other places and her retort was "well that's because other places freeze the food and just reheat it"! That has not been my experience elsewhere. I asked her why the egg collection was not offered as per the website and she said the egg collection is done in the evening. On the spot I went to her website on my phone and read it back to her and she said "ok maybe that's one mistake then". She was obviously trying to defend her sinking ship as best she could. Joe had now arrived back and I told him about the electric fence being blown down and unsafe and clicking live currents and he said he knew about it. I told them I had taken photos and a video of the clicking electric fence and Caroline's retort to that was "ok well now I can see you just came here to do that didn't you"!! Er... I am not in the habit of driving 3 hours in dense fog with three children on a Friday night of a bank holiday to take videos and photos of disgusting farms and non-compliant health and safety issues. There was just no telling them but I am just grateful to God that I escaped with mine and my childrens' lives intact. Things could have been very different. I just do not understand any of the good reviews on this website about Rigney's farm.Can it really have gone downhill to this extent in such a short period of time?
So that the children did not have a totally bad experience we visited a nearby farm in Stonehall which was wonderful; a clean humane environment for animals and humans alike. We managed to shake off the negativity of Rigney's and shortly afterwards made for the ferry to Tarbert and then to Doonbeg where we made an unexpected tag-on to my husband's golf weekend which was nice for us but pretty much messed up his plans.
I have never been so glad to leave a place and have officially never had such a negative experience in my life ever. Avoid avoid avoid!!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank treeto
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Caroline Rigney welcomed us and three daughters to her hard working farm for a two day stay. Delicious all-homemade breakfast from granola to ovenwarm bread to full irish breakfast. Great fun feeding pigs geese etc. Spectacular Curraghchase National park adjacent. Definitely going back. Thanks Caroline (and Joe and daughter and Chief & Sally)

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Rigneysfarm, Owner at Rigney's Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Thanks so much for your lovely review. It was an pleasure having you and your lovely family stay with us. We hope you got great photos from feeding the animals. You would be welcome back any time!

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

We had an absolutely fabulous time at Rigneys farm. Our room was huge with lovely views of the front garden (oak room), the bed was comfy and as it's autumn and a bit chilly the heating was on when we woke up to make getting out of bed more pleasant. The hostess Caroling was friendly and welcoming and Joe even let us help him feed the pigs whilst sharing his wealth of knowledge of the farm. We have grown very attached to this wonderful B&B and would highly recommend staying here to everyone. A shout out to Mike our taxi driver who ferried us back and forth to Adare for our evening meals and drinks, an absolute diamond. Thank you for a wonderful time we will be visiting again very soon! Kayleigh and Emma

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Kayleigh and Emma, thanks so much for your kind words! You are always welcome back to the farm!

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Booked a family stay over October midterm myself my father and 3 children and an infant. All excited about egg collecting holding piglets bread making "hot toddies by the fire with story telling " arrived to a freezing place to sit here while rooms are being finished. We arrived in the evening so no excuse. Showed room double bed and sofa bed. For me and 4 children asked for something for one of the two teenagers to sleep in and was given a camping bed. Father was in his roo, which was freezing all night he literally could see his breath all night. Fair enough it's a farm house at least there's lots of activities. No egg collecting no showing around of farm no bread or butter making eat literally handed break fast and that was only time we seen host. Stayed three nights and was bitterly disappointed as had kids all revved up about promised activities

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family