US$122
US$110
Barracuda Inn(Watamu)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$168
Echo Villas Watamu(Watamu)(Great Value!)
US$79
  • Restaurant
US$26
Travelocity
1,254 results
All reviewsswimming poollovely beachon arrivalgeckosaltyracistitaliansseachefcoast
Reviewed 20 January 2018 via mobile

We lived a bit down the beach for a couple of weeks, but kept hiking up to this Italian hotel on multiple occations for food, Internet and afternoon beers. It has an awesome location on the beach, fantastic pools, very friendly staff and overall very high Quality on the food. Oh, and the fastest Internet in town ;) As non-italians it felt perhaps a bit TOO Italian (like not possible to get English menus, and just Italian people there;)... such minor details aside, it comes warmly recommend!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Theosof
Reviewed 4 January 2018

It was my first time in Watamu, attended a friends wedding which took place at this Resort. It is a great venue for a wedding, they did a really great job setting the place up and the food was really nice as well.

Rooms were good and clean. I'm not too sure about the history of the resort, but it felt a little outdated. If you are not too fussy, you will like the place. But if you are looking for a luxurious experience, you will be disappointed.

The beach is full of sea weeds, so we couldn't swim. But enjoyed a nice walk by the beach.

Overall experience was good, but could've been better.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Visiting Garoda Beach Hotel was a very exciting experience for me. It was my second time in Watamu and so it felt like my first time as I saw many different places for the very first time. We were welcomed well on arrival and showed to our rooms which had African wildlife portraits on the walls. The rooms were very clean and since I love a hot shower in the coast I was very happy to have a hot shower twice daily. The swimming pool was also big and could host many people at the same time I however did not like the fact that it was salty. The restaurant had a quaint feel to it and the food was extremely amazing based on the fact that it is an Italian hotel and although I have dined at Italian restaurants, the food here was on its own level. I also loved the fact that I could access cappuccino, mochachino among other hot beverages anytime of the day and cold, clean water from the water dispenser. The beach was also very beautiful offering breathtaking views and no wonder it was voted one of the best beaches in the world.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the reception area, swimming pool and bar/restaurant for ease of access.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Really nice resort in watamu, good value for money, friendly staff and amazing swimming pool...the best part of this resort is the beach cause it's a special turtles reserve....people pay money to visit it. If u wanna book any kind of excursion (safari or whatever) u can talk with this guy: Giordano Yusuf...you can add him on facebook or text him on whatsupp at this mobile number: +254 716 534 470; he is a friend of mine and really friendly and serious....you can text him even if you wanna go out during the night....enjoy it.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I just had a four night stay in Garoda/ Gecko Resort (25-29 July 2017). Here's the list of pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Beach. Beach of Garoda and Kobe Suite Resort (adjacent) is one of the clearest beach in Watamu without seaweed/reef obstructing the view. White sand and shallow water makes a great playground for both adults and children.

2. Space and facilities. Garoda and Gecko Resorts share the space and together they have a vast compound with 2 pools. Room, lobby, bar and restaurants are equally spacious so it was easy to enjoy some personal space without interfering the space of other guests.

3. Food & staff. Food and bar were pretty good --- the price is not exactly cheap (b/fast included, lunch and dinner paid separately) but the selection of food was good. Bartender made wonderful cocktails and the happy hour/ finger foods were great ideas. Staff were generally friendly but some were annoying: more on that later.

Cons:

1. Money was stolen. After the checkout, I left my bag, with a wallet inside, at the reception so I can go to the toilet and take a last round of photos before I head to the airport. Then I grabbed the bag without checking inside the wallet and went to the airport. Only when I reached the airport I realized 9000 kenyan shillings was gone from the wallet. The thief even took the money from the pockets of my bag, so he/she did a swift but thorough job. I counted the bills before I paid the tip to the room service lady, so I am sure the theft was done at the reception.
I alerted the assistant manager immediately and she said this is the first time theft has happened (although now I read other reviews that money had gone missing from other customers too) and said she'll keep me updated. The general manager called me as well and apologized and offered me a free night of stay should I come back. I appreciated their immediate response and apology but it surely left a bitter taste in my mouth.

2. Some staff are not professional. Some of the 'animators' --- the staff wearing yellow tshirts --- kept asking me my phone number and wanted to stay at my place in Nairobi. As a solo female traveller, not only do I find it annoying but also deeply uncomfortable when staff approach me like this. Also, after asking a friend over for dinner (he happened to be staying at a nearby resort on his own holiday), I had to suffer the following few days due to some staff asking if he was my boyfriend/husband and why I was alone, etc. This gossipy interrogation was so irritating and unprofessional.

3. 5% charge on credit card. I haven't seen a hotel do this in a long while. Just putting it here so the reader may be aware before you go.

I find pros of Garoda/Gecko still win over the cons, but some people might feel differently. Overall, this is an enjoyable resort, great value for money, as long as you keep an eye on your wallet and be very firm with the annoying staff.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the main reception/beach.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo