Hemingways Watamu
US$111
Agoda.com
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfishchef omarol sekif b managersatao campindian oceanmalindi airportdhow tripwahootunakenyan coasta la carte menucoral gardensspent a weekeaster weekendhalf boardpool staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Although we didn't stay at the hotel, we did have evening meal there one night during our holiday.
The view from our outside table was outstanding. The food was good, with a few choice for vegetarians. I had the mushroom risotto, which was delicious. Cocktail menu was good. Would recommend trying a Dowa - delicious.
High level of service, attentive staff, very clean.
Hotel accommodation did look impressive and of a high standard.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Well I think that everything that needs to be said about the New Heminways has already been said
From the time my wife and I were collected at Malindi Airport to the time we left on a very smart Tuk Tuk we were treated regally - it wud be wrong of us to mention any of the staff by name , suffice to say , housekeeping -- pool staff-- bar staff-- front office and the restaurant were superb
our room was extremely well appointed and was great to find a hotel room with no TV hanging from the wall
I can not believe that TripAdvisor only rate this place as 20th out of 25 hotels in Watamu -- this just goes to show how it can be so wrong many times
Now just two little niggles -- unlike honeymooners and newly weds who ,at least for their first year like to shower together , us oldies like to wallow in a nice bath , and a handrail fixed securely to the wall at the bath wud ensure the ease of us wrikles getting in and out , without maybe the need to call a doctor
Now the second is ur wine list -- now Hemingways is wishing to draw guests , not just from Europe , but from the New World as well -- so take a little trip to the Sankarra in Westlands and have a look at their cellar --- whites from Malborough in New Zealand -- Reds from RSA winelands -- Giorgio and Tiano from Della Cia and Cab Savs from Le Riche -- even a reasonable quaffing wine by the glass -- The Pecan Stream , both their red and white sav blanc from Waterford in The cape winelands
Sorry to. be so negative about. ur existing list !!!!!
as wrinkles -God willing we will return and just maybe we will smuggle in our own wine and become secret drinkers in the room ???????????!!!!!!

Room Tip: All have fantastic views of the sea
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
WatamuMel, Manager at Hemingways Watamu, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Dear John W,

Thank you so very much for your review and we tuily appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Thank you very much for your advice on the wine list; we will certainly work on this for your next visit.

As we also discussed when you were here we appreciate the feedback on having a bath rather than only a shower and when you return hopefully in the near future, we will ensure that you are given one of our rooms with a bathtub!

Thank you once again for visiting us.

All the very best,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a quiet relaxed place with spectacular views to enjoy your stay for either business or pleasure, then Hemingways Watamu is it.

All rooms have an ocean view with a balcony, where you can relax and loose your thoughts to the splashings waves on the beach front during high tide.

The guest rooms are equipped with both an AC and fan for cooling which is convinient with the hot and humid weather at the kenyan coast. This is also one of the few hotels at the kenyan coast where I have had fresh roses in my room every single day.

The staff are very friendly and always willing to help. Meals were excellent and served on-time. The F&B manager is always at hand to assist and address any concerns.

The bar would however, do with some background music.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hemingways Watamu.

We do hope that you will return to see us again in the future; thank you for choosing us for your Watamu stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 March 2018

A visit to Hemingway’s is a delight. From the moment we arrived, Beryl at reception made us feel welcome--the service was fantastic. The staff are friendly and professional. We arrived early yet they put us in a room immediately and the manager welcomed us warmly. Recently renovated, you have fast wi-fi throughout the entire facility and in your room. Bathrooms are modern. The room has excellent AC and a well-stocked mini-bar. Everything is clean. Food was delicious. The cocktail bar is world class. If you're looking for more local flavor, this may not be your first choice as it is like being in a modern hotel in Florida or the Keys with all the amenities, spa and gym. But, if you're looking for a clean, modern, comfortable, 5-star experience, this is the place. After our week-long safari in a tent, this was a welcome change. My laundry was finished quickly and perfectly. My husband and I were completely refreshed for the next leg of our adventure.

Room Tip: most rooms have ocean views
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
WatamuMel, Manager at Hemingways Watamu, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear Sarcherjd,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and we are truly delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. We are very proud of our lovely new renovation and are delighted that you felt the same way!

We do hope that you enjoy the next adventure and onward part of your journey.

All the very best,

Reviewed 4 March 2018

I have been to Hemingway’s a couple of times I must mention, and so I was looking forward to the newly renovated facilities and a great experience during my visit last week. I had great expectations. Instead, my experience was grossly underwhelming! The ‘new’ facility looks awesome. The rooms are beautiful,and of course the view of the Indian Ocean from this facility is amazing, but that is where it stops! The service at Hemingway’s doesn’t match the investment in the infrastructure or the promises given of a great experience. I must also say it is not cheap. While I understand the establishment needs to be profitable to help investors recover the Kes 1.9bn they invested, it is unacceptable to charge what you are charging and offer services at the level of 0-2stars local lodgings (note I didn’t outline resorts or hotels). I say this based on the following:

1. The meals: Day 1 (Sunday )was awesome, the spread was good and there was a good balance. Typical of a Swahili saying which says there are people who treat visitors well on the first day only! The days after were filled with a lot of circus. Very limited and underwhelming choices. Not enough food for everyone and it took forever to replenish. On one of the nights they served lamb chops and when they got finished they tried to pass off beef as lamb!!! Seriously!!
2. The service: Horrible is my rating! I know you have been closed for renovations for a longtime and you may have lost some of your superb old staff! There is however no excuse for the pain you are taking your visitors through! It felt like you went to the villages around Watamu and picked whoever was in need of a job and put them to work immediately without any training! Orders were delayed and mixed up, orders were forgotten not by one but by most of the waiters, when we wanted to complain what bothered them more was us pronouncing the manager’s name wrongly! The used face towels In the rooms were not cleared or replenished. I suspect they were overwhelmed at full capacity....I could go on and on. My free advice, to sustain what you had before do whatever it takes look for some of your old staff or look for highly trained people in hospitality. There is no shortage of these in Kenya.

3. The management: Your manager’s abscence on the floor was special. She was mostly in hibernation especially when problems cropped up. The gentleman (Victor I think from F&B) tried to salvage the situation but a few days late. Forgive me for dwelling too much on the past, but the past is my benchmark. You had an excellent team in Om and the other gentleman(I forget his name) . Hemingway’s was a well oiled machine then. Today, not so. Again, my free advice. Get the right people.

In conclusion, nice buildings are good but they don’t make for a great experience that you promise. Your house is leaking. Own up and fix whatever is wrong with the current set up.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
4  Thank ROSEMARY K
WatamuMel, Manager at Hemingways Watamu, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Dear Rosemary K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and we regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We did indeed have one of our Weekend Special Gala Buffets on Sunday, the day of your arrival, along with a band and I do apologise that this special function was not more clearly explained to your group at the time as these special dinners do offer a much larger choice than the normal group dinners which offer a choice of 2 starters, 3 main courses and 2 desserts each evening. I regret that the expectations raised by your first meal were not met afterwards.

Our Senior F&B Manager, Victor, and our Events Manager, Husna, were responsible for your group and were the people meeting with your organisers each day and they alerted me to the food comments they had received on Monday evening. I personally met with some of the group on the Tuesday and after this discussion we did add extra choices to the groups buffet dinners for the remainder of your stay. I regret that it is felt that not enough was done to address the situation by either myself or our team.

Thank you for your comments on the service and our staff. We have been lucky enough to have been able to rehire almost 60% of our former staff members and we have ongoing training for all of the new staff members as well. With the exception of one new person our management team remains the same as prior to our closing for the renovations. We regret that you were disappointed with us on this visit.

I am sorry that orders were mixed up or not delivered. As your meals were buffets I have assumed that it was bar drinks orders that were the issue and we have already implemented extra training and scheduled extra supervisors to be on duty in this area.

Thank you once again for your feedback.