Hotels.com
eDreams
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
All reviews breakfast service direct access low tide beautiful beach italian influence fish catch of the day rooms are beautiful crab shack wonderful food dhow trip sea view scuba diving other guests every meal air conditioning a la carte
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 January 2021

Despite having heard great things about the place, and having read other reviews on Tripadvisor, I'm afraid I was not impressed with Kobe Suites.
Yes, it is a beautiful location and pleasant property, but we did not like the behaviour of management. They were not completely truthful to us about a few things.
We believe that it is inappropriate & unfair to call our rooms ‘Sea View’, as neither of us could really see the sea. There are too many trees, garden & shrubs between the rooms & the sea, so that it is ‘hidden’ and not able to be seen from the rooms. A fairer description of the rooms would be ‘Sea Front’ rather the ‘view’.
The water pressure & quantity of hot water in the room showers were very weak … However, the rooms were kept very clean.
We did not find that COVID safety measures were taken seriously enough. Staff were not wearing face mask properly (ie covering nose & mouth) all the time, and guests were not required to wear masks in public places, when they may be near other guests (& staff).
Adequate information was not provided to us about the hotel & facilities etc. For example, we were not informed that cappuccino’s / expresso coffees at breakfast were extra until after we had ordered, we were not informed about the need to get ‘reserve’ passes in advance of entering the sea (immediately in front of the hotel ie just a few steps away) with snorkel masks etc.
It often took quite a lot of effort to get attention from staff to make orders while relaxing by the pool.
Food was adequate, but nothing to write home about. Perhaps it was just too Italian orientated for us ?
We found that management seemed to treat guests like ourselves, who were not Italian, as inferior, and not worth the effort. It is a shame as it could be a wonderful place to go to, if there was more care about the customers.

Room tip: Sea view rooms are not worth the extra cost.
Date of stay: November 2020
3  Thank Rebecca_travelsaway
Federico Bertoni, General Manager at Kobe Suite Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2021

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your pessimistic and quite frankly untruthful as well as quite offensive review. Let's start from the end where you describe us as "racists" due to the fact that we do not treat other guests (aside Italians) equally; well, we would be foolish to do so and very discriminative towards others, and implying that we didn't know how to do our job! We have been in this industry for over 10 years and for over 30 in Kenya, I really don't think that we are as you described us.

Point number 2: Adequate information? Do you expect to have everything free of charge? If you look at the menu it is clearly stated that the cappuccino and espressos are to be paid for because of the price right next to the item name. Or, all you had to do is ask a manager for more information about all extra charges.

Point number 3: Marine park area: During every briefing we give all information about the marine park and especially about the fact that you must purchase a park ticket in order to go snorkelling. I suggest that you listen carefully next time a member of staff speaks to you.

Point number 4: Covid measures: All Covid measures have been put into place and our licence renewed twice. We wouldn't be having a renewed licence if the management and all staff were not respecting this. Maybe I should connect myself to point number one "The Italian way of doing things" whereby being Italians we found "other ways" to bypass the system... In any case, there is plenty of space around to be safe and guests are always invited to wear a mask whilst passing through public areas, it is then up to the clients' good sense to adhere to the rules and regulations, we cannot go chasing clients around the whole day... It wouldn't be a holiday and could be quite frustrating from the guests' point of view. Staff are always wearing masks and are instructed by the management that they can pull down their masks when not in contact with guests in order to get some fresh air.

Point number 5: The food! I nearly forgot, again too "Italian"!!! I think that at this point you definitely have something against Italians... Read the menu properly!!! If you wanted to order food or drinks from the pool all you had to do is to seek the attention of a swimming pool attendant and ask them to send a waiter over to take your order just like all the other guests do.

Point number 6: The rooms: The first compliment of the review... Rooms were clean! But allow me to give you a small lesson in hospitality management: Sea Front as you would like the rooms to be called implies that the rooms are at the forefront of the sea hence the name Sea Front. Sea view implies that there is a view or partial view of the sea exactly like in our case. Remember that wording is very important in our job... There you go a free lesson just for you! Don't worry I am not going to charge you like the Cappuccinos and Espressos...

Conclusion:

Your very subjective review (which by the way does not help us or any traveller in any possible way) comes solely due to the fact that most probably you were not given something free of charge like you reiterated with the Cappuccinos and the Espressos and also perhaps with a late check out...? There is a very fine line between writing a constructive review and making yourself look bad and somehow racist in the eyes of other travellers... I would be more careful if I were you next time you travel and then want to express your hatred towards others with a review; sites like these must be used in the appropriate manner in order to give insights and constructive criticism to both industry professionals and travellers. They must certainly NOT be used to express one's personal frustrations.

Best regards.

Federico Bertoni, general manager.

Reviewed 4 January 2021

We were stating on Kobe for 6 days over the new year and it was an amazing experience .
all was good and function
the service, the rooms , the swimming pools , the foods and the environment .

We will recommend it to anyone

thanks
Ron

Reviewed 3 January 2021 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights in this hotel The 1st 3 a friend had the room next to me
The location and the beach are fantastic In the sea you can swim with riff sharks and there are turtles. Unfortunately the hotel doesn’t tell you in advance that for snorkeling you need a permit as the hotel lies in a part of the Watamu Marine National Park Also there was no attempt to facilitate to get this permit as you have to go and get it from a near by office
The rooms are nice, clean and modern Two people showering after each other might be a challenge as I just managed to have a good shower on my own after, the water was cold
I had to check out at 10 as I have been told, due to covid the rooms need to stay empty for a certain time before new guests can move on in Down side: the only possibility to shower are the beach/pool showers So no privacy at all No other room was available to shower even after asking, also not in the Spa My friend who left 24hrs before me was told her room was booked so she showered in my room 24 hrs later her room was still empty.... and mine was taken 1 1/2 hrs after I left it So the given information were, let’s say, not accurate....
Food was good but nothing exceptional Maybe I am not enough Italian....
Internet only in public areas of the hotel and not very strong. One really positive thing: the local staff is really friendly and they try everything to make your stay nice
Sanitizer everywhere, plenty But masks were not worn by all staff all the time and for sure not properly over mouth and nose.
Overall my expectations of this place were much too high, hearing from people who have been here and reading all the reviews So go with lower expectations and you might not be disappointed

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Federico Bertoni, General Manager at Kobe Suite Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2021

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. To you and all travellers, kindly refer to the management response written to: Rebecca_travelsaway

Best regards.

Federico Bertoni

Reviewed 15 December 2020 via mobile

I am about to kill this fish. I come back again and again. Still, great food great service. Covid compliant. There is a great ocean view from the ocean front restaurant and the breeze that comes with it

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2020

Overall best place to hide, unpack, unburden your heavy thoughts as you take in a peaceful quiet environment on the Kenyan coast!!
To enjoy this place for now, I would advise make no complaints, do not raise your concerns and be ready to always be at fault instead of the property staff. All guest problems are yours and a creation of yourself.
Food is very very good.
Kobe lacks something found in most well established 5 star+ rating facilities across the globe. A culture of hospitality, warmth, openness, gentleness (maybe soft skills, emotional intelligence) is wanting. It feels cosmetic to some extent and perhaps can be improved to make guests want to develop an attachment to the place or want to come back in future.
Some guests may experience this while others do not and that is why I say it's lovely if you approach independently without need for interaction with the people you find there.

Date of stay: November 2020