US$508
US$336
US$290
US$313
US$271
Iberostar Paraiso Beach(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$274
US$230
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$382
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
US$274
US$266
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 23/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$424
US$356
  • Breakfast included
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa(Playa Maroma)
US$475
US$449
Cancelon
Kin Sol Soleil(Playa Maroma)
US$360
US$296
6,596 results
All reviewswave poollazy riverstar friendskids clubswim up barseafoodcajun restaurantice creamspecialty restaurantsplaya del carmenel fogonjambalayaother resortsfamily vacationmain buffetdinner reservationstacos
Reviewed 6 August 2005

We were a little worried since we were to arrive on August 27th and thought that they would be a mess from the storm. But what a job they must have done cleaning up, the only problems that they had were the two Restaurants being closed and the Ocean water not clear yet. But everything else was great!!! This place is beutiful, pools as far as you can see and the wave pool is the best. The staff was great no matter were you went, at the Restaurants, Bars, Lobby and the Star Friends work hard all day and then put on entertaining shows at night. The kids loved it and so did we. The Snake Bar at the Maya is so nice both from the outside and the inside, and Jose makes the best Margaritas ever!!!! I would go back again in a heartbeat, If I berostar runs all of there resorts like this they must be doing great. If you are going stay at the Lindo or the Maya they are newer than the Beach or Del Mar and you get better food choices. The pools at the Del Mar and Beach were not as nice (older) and there Buffets were outdoors (way to hot and bugs). All I can say is we had no complaints, Food, Service and Facilities were all A+++.

• Stayed: August 2005
33  Thank njduke
Reviewed 4 August 2005

Just returned from 7 nights at the Iberostar Lindo.

My boyfriend and I flew out of Newark on 7/12 via Continental Airlines. We had an amazing flight no turbulence what so ever. I hired a private car from cancuntransfers, excellent right there on time with a sign with our name and a brand new expedition for us to ride in.

Upon arrival we were booked at the Iberostar Del Mar but they offered us a free upgrade to the Lindo so we decided to take it. When arriving at the Lindo I was so impressed by the lobby and how helpful the staff was. We checked in and it was obvious that many of the workers were new. They didn’t know what to do, where things were, or even better forgot to give us our wristbands and when I asked for them the women told me we didn’t need them. Finally we got to our room, which was located in building 55.

Room: The room was nice had a king bed with a sofa and another table with two chairs. The bed on the other hand was like sleeping on cement. The pillows were like rocks, every morning we would wake up with stiff necks. If you attempted to jump into bed you might break your arm, beware!

Soon after we went downstairs to book our restaurants for the week. We lost out on the Japanese and the Gourmet due to the hurricane.

Italian: Very good food I have to say I had no complaints about this place
Mexican: Awful it was so bad we actually got up and left and went to eat at the dinner buffet
Cajun: Amazing the food here was on the best we ate at all week
Mediterranean: horrible I ordered the fish that the waiter recommended and it actually came out so dry and disgusting. I ate a little of it considering I was starving and ended up get very sick from the food.
Steakhouse: Very good also one of best meals was eaten here
Buffet: Same stuff I lived off of salad and French fries all week

Pretty much our whole week consisted of lying by the pools and just relaxing. I wanted to swim with the dolphins, but when they finally booked us on Sunday the hurricane hit and we were unable to go of course. Now to the negatives
Hurricane Emily was approaching on Saturday basically all the guests knew that it was going to hit us head on. Every time I would go down and ask someone about it they told me nothing was happening. Then even the bartender told me that we were just going to get a little bit of rain. OK no big deal but I started to think to myself are these people nuts, a hurricane is not a little bit of rain. As the day proceeded they slid a notice under our doors informing us about what a hurricane was and that the pool will close on Sunday and we would be served a lunch box Sunday night and we were to stay in our rooms. At this point I was happy some info was being passed our way. Sunday morning I woke up around 8 am to go to the pool for a little considering I thought we would be stuck in the room all night. I went to the room around 1 to lie down and we got up to go to lunch around 2:30. It was a horror show when I went down; there were people running back with dinner bags and breakfast bags. Soon after one of the staff members came up to me handing me a letter and telling us we had to evacuate by 4:00pm. In the letter stated to pack all your clothes up and put your suitcases in the bathtub and on top of the bathroom sink. I ran back to the room packed everything up and we headed to the convention center. I understand that this is a hurricane and they have never been through one yet at this resort but how they handled it was poorly. Stuffing people in this giant room and hallways to the point where you couldn’t even walk around. They didn’t even bother boarding up some of the windows so you started hearing glass shattering when the wind picked up. At one point they started taking chairs away from people to use as a barrier against the doors!!!! When I went to go open my dinner I wanted to throw up; Cold pork with cold noodles, Ham and cheese that has been sitting out for hours in the heat, 1 whole tomato. You could tell they went into the kitchen and threw anything in the bags for us to eat. I do thank them for keeping us safe and for playing the movies though. After 16 hours we were allowed back to our room. Considering our room had no air no cable no phone lines we couldn’t even take a nap. We walked around the resort to see the damage and I couldn’t believe it. This resort is defiantly going to take a couple of months to get back in order. After not eating now for a good day we were starving. We received a letter under our door saying the Maya steakhouse would open around 1 pm serving buffet style food. I said perfect we’d get there 15 minutes early so we can get in. Yea right, I soon found out they only opened 1 buffet for all 4 resorts. That was a total of 4,000 starving people. The line was outrageous people going in grabbing plates because they were afraid of the hotel running out. The line wrapped around forever some people stood in line they said for about 3 hours just to eat something. It was so bad they started putting mayonnaise on bow tie pasta and calling it fettuccine alfredo. Again, poorly run by the staff. They should have been more prepared, this is a hurricane that hit, and they took it as a joke. Thank god that day was our last because I honestly couldn’t stay at that place another day. The icing on the cake was when I wanted to see if my flight out the next day was still on time. Since I booked through beachdestinations I had no tour rep in the hotel. I approached the women at the front desk and her if there was a list or an emergency phone line that they have to find out about the flights. Rudely she turns around and says no. I’m like ok well if our flight doesn’t leave do you let us stay in our room another night. Nasty again she said no if you want to stay you have to pay $200 per person per extra night. I told her she was nuts I wouldn’t give that place another dime if my life depended on it. I forgot to add this earlier, prior to hurricane Emily when everyone was in line waiting for food I was talking to this gentleman behind me. He told me his plane was supposed to leave but got cancelled due to the Hurricane of course. Iberostar Lindo had the nerve to charge him and his family $200 per person per night again to sleep in a convention center and to eat cold noodles with pork. Could you believe that!!! All hell would have broke loose if that were me I told him. At that point he said he had no choice, which he was right. To sum it up the next morning we headed downstairs waited for our driver to come went to airport and prayed that we had a flight home. Luckily it was on time and ready to go. I couldn’t be any happier to leave! While I was waiting for my luggage back in Jersey I was talking to another couple that stayed at Secrets and loved it. They said though when the hurricane hit they evacuated them to a rundown elementary school. They said bugs were crawling everywhere and there were about 14 people sitting into this tiny cell and they couldn’t go to the bathrooms because they were located outside. Even when she went she said the conditions were so horrible couldn’t even go. So to everyone who stayed at the Iberostar we defiantly lucked out!

Conclusion:
Beautiful resort I honestly could not say anything negative about that part and yes I do believe it is worth the upgrade from the Del mar or beach. I would never go back though. Every year we pick a place to travel we’ve been to Aruba, Punta Cana, Hawaii, St. Thomas and this was one of my least favorite. The food was horrible and the service was even worse. To actually be excited to get on an airplane to eat its food say much huh! That’s how bad it was. The service was even worse there, hard workers, but they lack so much communication with their guests and that’s the most important part. For the money that you pay to go here I would honestly say go to Punta Cana instead its soooo much cheaper and the food is better, the beach is nicer, and the hotels are beautiful as well.

• Stayed: July 2005
18  Thank DanielleS
Reviewed 29 July 2005

My family and I just returned after a 7 night stay at the Iberostar Paraíso Lindo on Weds 27th July. Fortunately, we were post Emily + 2 nights, but that has made this review a little harder to write than if she had not blown through, as some folks will no doubt blame parts of this review on her!
Where do I start? I am British, married to a Mexican lady, we have two easy going kids and live in the north of this wonderful country called Mexico, a couple of hours by car to Texas. Oh, better add that I’ve lived here for 19 years (important data for later on in the review!)
As many of you good people are doing/have done, we decided to go to the Paraiso Lindo based upon the vast majority of positive reviews posted here. I said to the wife: “There are too many positive reviews to be wrong”. I was excited at the prospect of living the glowing reports of the reviewers and booked up the trip in May.
Countdown began … Emily gave us the jitters a week before we were due to leave … she came and went … we were off!
Here’s how things panned out …

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The turn off the highway into the resort gives one the feeling of openness amid beautifully landscaped gardens, tree-lined driveways, and impressive lobbies of which there are 4, don’t forget: Del Mar, Beach, Lindo, and the impressive pyramid that doubles as the backdrop to the Maya lobby. Given Emily’s recent departure, the grounds on the way in were, well, not dirty, but a few leaves, branches etc strewn about still, but this didn’t take away the beauty of the place at all, or dampen our spirits, and as we approached our Iberostar entry port, the Lindo Lobby, we were happy to see the huge ‘palapa’ intact to greet us! You missed that one Emily!
Bellboys on hand to download and file the luggage and it was off to the …
RECEPTION: As we swung the glass door open we walked into … well, I don’t really know what it was. It was hardly the appealing reception area that gives hotels such a warm welcoming feeling, more, well, an air-con church-cum-community hall set up, with imposing parliament style wooden chairs sat high on either flank, a huge ‘table’ (I think it was) in the center (like 6yds x 10 yds), and yonder a wooden bar stretching almost from flank to flank (about 30yds) backed by an imitation (crossless) church altar! Was I here to meet my maker or chill out for a few days???!!!
Gingerly, I approached the front desk, and was quickly assured by a young lady that it was the hotel reception, and proceeded to check in, though her puzzled look told me that she had no clue as to who we were after consulting her desktop. Our booking paper helped to ease her worries, and though still puzzled, she at least checked us in.
20 mins later (and we were the ONLY ones at reception) we were ‘admitted’ and sent back to see the bellboy. With my newly acquired plastic room entry keys, we were whisked down the back alley on a golf cart, bags’n’all, to building 50, the furthest from the lobby but the closest to the beach. Up to the 3rd floor, and into …
THE ROOMS: Fortunately, we had asked for ‘next to’s’ and got ‘em, as we didn’t want our 14 and 12 year old to be tooo far from us at night. The rooms are very well appointed, tastefully decorated, and spacious. The mini bar was stocked, but the door had been left open so no cold drinks. I couldn’t get the AC to work. Was working up a sweat. Called the reception. Get the maintenance ppl here. “ok”, they said, 5 mins. Needed a cold drink. Wasn’t any. Must be an ice machine somewhere. Yes,. 2nd floor. Send son to get ice in bucket. Coke with ice. Son a long time. Ice machine not working. Maintenance at door. Shirt in a rather wet state (mine and the maintenance guy’s). Problem with patio door. Not connected to the circuit breaker that shuts off AC if door left open. Door was closed but not touching the breaker. Mttce 10 mins. Done … cold air. No cold drink though. Shirt off. Shorts on. Head for pool. But the rooms are very nice, believe me, and the AC worked a treat from there on in. Only trouble is, the ONLY room with a sea view is the Presidential Suite located on the 3rd floor in ‘50’ and as Emily had trashed its windows, we were able to wander in there for 5 mins to see the sea view … across 50 yards of mosquito-infested Mangrove swamp! Me wonders how many of the Presidents that have stayed there have returned!
Oh well, Our rooms were nice, believe me!
“Don’t worry kids, we will wander down to the beach to have a look at the sea in a minute”, a desperate dad exclaimed.
THE BEACH: Couldn’t get on it until Friday 22nd. -- you Emily. What did you do to the, turquoise ocean, white pristine sands, swaying palms and cute thatched sunshelters (palapas)? The sea was an ugly shade of brown, dappled with sea grass and debris, the beach was strewn with shreds of palm tree, wood, sea grass and other. The swaying palms no longer swayed as the greenery was on the floor and the trunks need that to sway!, and liken the neat rows of a ‘full set’ of palapas to your aging grandma when she takes out her false plate! A few left here and there. I’m beginning to dislike you, Emily.
So swimming was out as the wading through the dirt and debris wasn’t too appealing, and then, the red flags were up as … there were hundreds of jellyfish lining the shore to greet you! So kids, its back to the …
POOLS. Emily only got one of these, the biggest one, and the one with the pool bar in it. Oh well, there was the wave pool, the lazy river and the smaller pool closer to the ocean (or to the mosquito-infested Mangrove swamp, whichever you prefer). By midday on 21st, the main pool opened up and we were fully functional in all water sports within the hotel grounds! Whoopeee! Fountains were on and it was business as usual in the pool bar! To be honest, the pools were very well maintained, although the water was tepid. Time to eat …
THE RESTAURANTS: Specialty ones: the only special one we found was the Steakhouse in the Maya wing. Excellent service and food. The Japanese in the Beach wing left a lot to be desired for service … an eggcup full of soup, followed by vegetables off the hotplate, followed by your choice of chicken, shrimp or beef. Err .. shouldn’t the vegetables be served at the same time as the meat? Correct me if I am wrong here! Don’t forget your winter jacket cos the AC in there is like being in Alaska. Oh, and steer clear of the Gourmet restaurant. I am totally confused as to what they mean by ‘Gourmet’ here.
The buffets: The breakfast in the FOGON was, ahem, a waste of time. It seems like this place is the forgotten corner of the resort. The place where the misfit chefs are sent to do their penance. Cold sausages, cold hash browns, cold just about everything that should be hot, oh, and if you ask for an omelette or a fried egg cooked in front of you, be prepared to receive some daggers. After all, who are you to ask for hot eggs when there are trays of cold ones just next to the griddle? If you have got this far congrats. If you remember the opening lines about important data, here is where it gets good. Mexico is renowned for its oranges. We have so many oranges in Mexico we don’t know what to do with them, let alone sell them. 75% of them drop from the trees and rot on the ground The orange grove owners in the north of the county (close to where I live) give the oranges away. That’s right. Freebies. All you have to do is organize a truck and the pickers. If that is the case, why does a hotel chain such as this one with 6 hotels to stock, choose to serve processed and or powered orange juice. It’s totally beyond me. Also, we couldn’t understand why Mexican food was not generally available. Where are the flautas, the sopes, the frijoles a la charra, the enchiladas, the chiles en nogada, chiles rellenos, the tamales, and all the other delightful Mexican cuisine that surely some folks come to Mexico for. It rather seems that the hotel is geared towards satisfying the average American palate with TexMex style food, Taco Bell comes to mind here, oh and of course its fellow Spanish countryfolk with a huge Paella on the beach. Mmmmm!!
Lunch buffets were a little better but our local Sirloin Stockade has more variety in its salads and main dishes than this Iberostar resort. Sad, as we are in Mexico and the food here is truly delicious. Also, the only beef that I saw served at all buffets was the ‘arrachera’ cut. That means ‘skirt’ to all the non-Spanish speakers reading this. The cheapest cut on the bull.
Back to the ‘important data’ point. I managed to pick up a stomach infection and was told by the PR Manager that its probably because I was not used to eating ‘foreign food’. I asked her how that could be seeing that I lived in Mexico but on hindsight, I guess she had a point. The food was anything BUT Mexican!
THE DRINKS: A self confessed beer lover, who is at home with just about any beer in the world, including Buds, but cannot drink DOS XX (Dos equis) as this is truly the worst Mexican beer, and the cheapest, that you’ll find. Oh, by the way, its brewed in the city where I live. Ahem, the ONLY beer available was DOS XX. I wonder why?
So while in Playa del Carmen one day, I bought a couple of six packs of Tecate and Modelo to take back and put in the mini bar. Fine so far. But why is the fridge door left open EVERY DAY after the maid has been? So again, I would go back to the room for a nice cool beer (not 2 XX) only to find the fridge open and the beer warm? PR said: “It must be a faulty magnet”. Errr. A fridge has a magnetic door now? I thought they were the things with souvenirs of places you have visited that you stick on the front of the door but surely you close them with a rubber seal. At least that’s how mine works in my house!
I said to PR: “Hope this is not a tactic to make sure the drinks are too warm to drink, thus avoiding restocking too often?” (especially when you have put your own drinks in there!) The PR remained fairly silent for about 10 seconds, and said she would report it to housekeeping. Draw you own conclusions.
THE STAFF: Star friends … magnificent. Thanks, Israel, for your time, concern and care. You and your compañeros did an excellent job for all ages.
And generally speaking, the staff would bend over backwards to help.
The management, though, seem to have bitten of more than they can chew (Size matters?!)

I wasn’t totally disappointed with my week’s stay as there are many good points about the Paraiso Lindo and its beautiful architecture, and the objective was to rest up for a few days, but as the saying goes, ‘all that glistens is not gold’. I was expecting a little bit more for the money we paid and the reviews other folk gave in here. I would not return to this resort and would seriously think twice about any other Iberostar simply because of its management techniques and tendency to stock food and beverages of at best a mediocre quality. Hope the review is honest enough for you to make your decisions.

36  Thank SteveEdmunds
A TripAdvisor Member
east haven, connecticut
Reviewed 27 July 2005

Thirteen members of my family went to Riveria Maya and stayed at the iberostar lindo and had a wonderful time. The weather was exceptional and the employees were great. We made friends with a handful of workers and are still in touch with them after being home for two weeks. We already booked our trip for 14 days next year. I read the trip advisory from other people, although people are entitled to their own opinion I feel that whether good or bad people should be honest. One of the advisors spoke of 2 incidents that occured and i am familiar with both because one i was involved in. I am the AMERICAN woman that placed my towels by the pool in the morning. I did not accuse anyone of stealing my towles I simply asked where they were moved to, the English woman who appeared to be drunk and slurring her words proceeded to instigate an argument that my family and I chose to walk away from and proceed to the beautiful beaches of Mexico. Four hours later my family and I returned to the pool for quality time and relaxation. The English couple (I am assuming they were an item because of the way they were sexually fondling each other in the water) were still in the same location, the Englishman stated that he "hated bloody kids" and proceeded to violently swing his hand causing a big splash and missing one of our children in the head. My BROTHER-IN-LAW in turn told the man "That if he didn't like children he should be at the secrets resort exscluslively for adults. My Brother-in-law (who has the utmost class and is a true gentlemen) was put out when the English woman yelled out that we had to sell our trailer park to go on vacation and threatened to take her top off in front of our children (which if she was sober she would have realized the rules state NO ONE IS TO BE TOPLESS BY THE POOL AREA) therefore she is trailor park trash. No one was threatend by either one of us so please tell the truth and My appologies to the ENGLISH people sorry for ruing your holiday ours was great and you two were the hi-lights thank you both very much look forward to seeing both of you next year. The bar inccident that took place had absolutley nothing to do with my family however they wer present and chose to ignore it.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2005

fantastic resort we came back on 28th june and have just booked to back there next year. the staff are fantastic (star friends Johan and Isreal are ace) and all waiting staff work hard to make sure the whole stay is amazing (concierges Reme and Ariel get everything done before you ask really, obviously not literally).

if you have special dietary requirements i'd advise you learn what they are in Spanish before you arrive as we are both vegetarian but it wasn't understood too well, in as much as they gave us food that had been cooked with the meat after meat eaters had been served as we didn't state we were allergic to meat or fish.

all in all can't wait til we go back next year

• Stayed: June 2005