Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
The Bliss Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
6,421 results
All reviewswave poollazy riverstar friendskids clubswim up barseafoodcajun restaurantice creamspecialty restaurantsplaya del carmenjambalayael fogonother resortsfamily vacationmain buffetcoconut shrimpdinner reservations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2006

We were a group of 10, arriving and leaving within a day of each other, to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Ages ranged from my niece, 19, to my dad, 78. My stay was from 11/30-12/5.

Hotel: the resort itself is beautiful and clean. The grounds are immaculate, and the pools and adjacent areas were also always clean. You will do a lot of walking to get anywhere. Also, there are no elevators, so if you don't want to climb the stairs, be sure and stay ground floor.

Our room was simple, and the maid kept it clean; however, maid service varied greatly, between all of our rooms. My room did not have the towel animals, flower petal strewn beds and fresh flowers, that some of the others did. There was a problem with the laundry while we were there, to where one night we did not even get clean towels; two of the towels were simply refolded, as though they were fresh, which really bothered me, because I had used them to wipe the floor that morning, and the dirt was visible on them. The next (our last) night we did not get clean towels til after 10 pm. And this was with leaving a generous tip for the maid every day. In addition, my friend had toiletries leak unto his clothing in his suitcase, and needed items laundered and pressed. The first day, the laundry order bag simply stayed on the bed; the second, we were told there was no laundry service that day, and the third, after I asked whether there wasn't a laudromat somewhere, they finally picked up the clothing, and though we paid for washing and ironing, it came back unironed. Beds are hard (which I like) and pillows are horrible. If a good pillow is important to you, I suggest bring your own, or go into town and buy one once you arrive. Our room was quiet, but other guests complained that they could hear their neighbors moving furniture. In the mornings we could hear kids running and screaming in the hall, but that wasn't the hotel's fault, just rude parents not minding their kids.

Front Desk: This was the worst experience of the vacation, but I was not going to let it ruin my good time. We booked our trip through Cheap Caribbean. When we arrived at the Lindo, (after 8+ hours of travel) the rest of my family was already there. My sister came out and said we didn't have a reservation, but I thought she was joking with me. When I got to the counter to check in I found out she was serious. I thought it would be a simple matter to resolve since I had brought all of our confirmation paperwork clearly stating the dates and place where we had reservations. Not so. The very rude woman at the desk stated that she would need a half hour to check in to what the problem was. I asked if we could get a wristband so that we could at least join my family in the bar for a drink while she was checking. Answer: no. So, we left our bags at the curb, and I went to my mom's room and got a water out of her minibar. I went back to the front after 30 mins. and the woman told me that we had a reservation, but it was at the Paraiso Beach. She told me I should go over there and check in. I told her that my paperwork said otherwise, at which point she said, "Then you need to find a phone and call your travel agent." At that point, (after sending away my hot-tempered friend, and attmpting to maintain my cool) I asked if perhaps they had a phone there that I might use, and she acted very put upon and had me wait while she got a manager, who then got on the phone himself, and after about an hour he got the whole thing straightened out with Cheap Caribbean (it was CC's error). So the first two hours were spent trying to get this fixed, without being able to get anything to eat or drink from the resort. The same woman was responsible for our room assignment, and her pool view room, was not that at all. While I was waiting for my luggage to be dealt with, the front desk handed the phone to me, and it was Tony from CC. Her attitude was very flip about the whole mistake, and I ahd to be very insistent with her to get a phone number where she could be reached in case of further problems (fortunately none) There was never any followup from her at any point during my stay. The kicker to this was that my family had told the same woman at the front desk when they checked in, that they were expecting two more people, and gave them my name, and were told at that point that I did not have a reservation, but the staff did not bother to research it then. Very poor customer service on the part of the Lindo staff and Cheap Carribbean.

Food: Nothing spectacular, but you definitely will not go hungry. One thing that people might forget is that this is an international resort, and they are cooking to satisfy more than the American pallet. Sometimes the food did taste kind of the same, and for me personally, I like more rich and sweet desserts. I wondered too if the food didn't start tasting the same because we were eating so much all the time, so the tastebuds got bored! Between all of us we ate at the Steakhouse, seafood, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, and Japanese restaurants. I think most Americans would be extremely disappointed with the ribeye in the steakhouse (very thin); the filet was the way to go there. My favorite was the Japanese; my mom gave the Chinese rave reviews, and the rest of the group liked the Italian (order the lasagna) the best. Service at all restaurants, with the exception of the Mexican and Japanese, was excellent, and even at those two was still good. All of the restaurants were set up the same: there was an all you can eat appetizer and dessert bar, and you ordered your entree (and soup or dessert). off of the menu. we didn't experience any problems getting reservations, but my family had booked most of the nights when they arrived. The buffet was where we had breakfast every morning; huge variety to choose from. One more note about the restaurants: we usually ate at 6 or 7. It seemed that everytime we were seated a baby at an adjacent table would start crying. If this is annoying to you, it might be better to eat later.

Pools/Beach : I don't swim, so I didn't go in the ocean. My friend did and said the water was warm, but there were lots of rocks (I think the beach suffered from hurrican damage last year). There were always plenty of chaises at the beach and the pool, and I liked that there were drink and burger bars at the beach, so you didn't have to walk all the way back to the main resort area to eat. We spent lots of time around the pool, and loved the lazy river (when there weren't shrieking kids). The swim up bar was a huge hit, and fun place to meet other people. The towel card check system was convenient once I remembered not to leave my card in the room--no card no towel.

Activities: There were all different kinds of activities going on all day and night. The calendars don't seem to be posted a lot of places, but I always found one at the towel check out booth. The Star Friends (activity directors) did a fantastic job. They always got people involved in the games, shows etc. During the day about every 30 mins. there was something: Spanish lesson, dance lesson, pool areobics; pool contests; tournaments; excercise class, the list goes on. You could also get massages or paint pottery at the beach. At night, there was always something in the theater, usually starting at 8 for the kids, then music/dancing, and the main show at 9:30. Then kareoke, then disco at 11. The "snake bar" in the Maya was my favorite to lounge in. Between all the activities there was usually something for everyone to do or not do, whatever their preference was. I loved meeting people from all over the US and the world; everyone was ready to have a good time. I took the shuttle bus to town one day, but would not waste my time on that again. There are shops at the resort and the aiport that have things that are just as nice as in town. Beware buying Cuban cigars in town--they are probably fakes, even if they come in a sealed box. One of our group found this out the hard way.

A couple extra notes to women: If you have wavy/frizzy hair, be prepared to deal with it. The humidity made my hair do it's own thing even after using the straightening iron, so after the second day I just gave up on it. consider bringing your own blow dryer unless you can manage with the speed/one temperature kind. If you're not sure what to pack, err on the side of an extra bathing suit, extra shorts and an extra casual dress that can do double duty in the disco or during the day by changing accessories. It's overall a casual atmosphere. Also, I traded in my hard soled sandals for rubber soled flip flops the first day because the different surfaces were hard to walk on and made my feet sore. And watch out for slippery tile, even in flips.

I would do this again as a family vacation, but if I was going on my own or with another adult friend, I would choose somewhere with less kids--I am looking forward to the new adults only property that is under construction to open next Spring. As far as they were concerned, there were not enough other 19-25 year olds for the younger members of our group to hang out with, but they still had fun.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
11  Thank bb59
Reviewed 12 December 2006

This was my escape from the stresses of New York City and it was sheer paradise, for six glorious days at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo Resort!!! I have contacted my travel agent to start checking dates for July 2007, as I plan to celebrate my birthday at the resort next year with my closest friends.

The property is magnificent, the staff is so warm and hospitable, I truly did not want to return to New York. Of the Iberostar Friends, Carolina (my namesake) and Diego were so great to me, made me feel right at home and the Karaoke was a blast!!!
Kudos to Carolina and Diego, Hola from Nueva York!!!

I also had a chance to visit the Mayan ruins in Tulum and the waterpark Xel-Ha which were absolutely amazing!!! Reminded me of the Caribbean as I am of Caribbean descent. Mexico is truly a treasure that I intend on visiting in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank CarFromHarlem
Reviewed 12 December 2006

I stayed at this hotel November 24-December 2 with my mother (62) and two younger sisters (12 & 9)

HOTEL
This hotel is absolutely incredible, beautiful and clean. I was amazed when I arrived at how grand and lush everything was but I must confess that eventually it felt like I was in a mall.. with marble floors and fountains everywhere. I really liked it but it was a bit over the top. I spend hours trying to decide which iberostar resort to book and when I arrived I realized they were all in the same complex.. making this one HUGE hotel, to the point where there was a trolley taking you from A to B.

ROOMS
Our rooms were very clean, and the maid did cool things like make swans from our towels. We had an abundant supply of water and pop, etc in the fridge. No complaints here. I must say though that there was a storage room next to our room and coming home one night we did see cockroaches just outside the door.

FOOD
Gross, I am pretty flexible when it comes to all inclusive hotels, but the food here was pretty bad. Everything tasted the same regardless of which buffet you you went to. The specialty resteraunts were much better especially the steakhouse and the japanese resteraunt. I did get a very bad case of food poisioning while staying at this resort, and Ive never ever been sick like that before.

BEACH
all the reviews said this hotel had a great beach front, well I was not happy. It would be scorchin hot at the pool and we would walk down to the beach and instantly be in a wind tunnel. It was like this everyday. The waves were so violent that we didnt get to use any of the water equipment. There was no floating around in this water, and we all got small injuries due to the ROCKS everywhere. sooo not impressed.

POOLS
There were tons of pools and a lazy river. I normally prefer the beach to the pool but at this hotel the pools were great. Lots of selection for beach loungers. We never once had to look very long for open spots.

Overall this hotel was beautiful and was a good location. I booked this hotel as it was rated #2 on this site, however I think its becasue its so damn huge and grand that it ends up getting lots of reviews.. perhaps bumping it higher than it should be. I would rate this place at a 7 out of 10. losing points only for the food and the beach. I dont think I would like to stay somewhere so large again.

hope this helps.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
24  Thank cdngrlneedsaname
Reviewed 11 December 2006

We stayed at the Lindo from 11/25-12/1. It was a delightful trip. My husband and I are still reminiscing about what a fabulous time we had. We’ve been to Riviera Maya before and wanted to stay somewhere really nice this time. We used this site to determine where to stay and then found the best rate online at (-).

Transfer- Just ignore everyone at the airport, even if they look official. They where those shirts so you’ll pay attention to them. Once you find your transfer, it a quick ride to the Hotel.

Reception- They were extremely friendly and we were offered a drink. We requested a non-smoking King which they were able to accommodate but needed 30 minutes to prepare. We used this time to tour the grounds and were very impressed by everything. The landscaping, pools, etc were all top notch.

Room- We stayed in building 52(non-smoking). The view wasn’t great, but we were rarely in the room so we didn’t mind. The room was immaculate with a large closet, small stocked refrigerator, coffee maker, king size bed, couch, small table and chairs and good size porch. There was a TV with digital cable that had many of the channels we’re accustomed to having access to like CNN and ESPN. The bathroom was great with a full size tub. The only problem was the bed was REALLY hard. We enjoyed sleeping in the beach chairs more.

Pools- Regular, lazy river and wave pool. We really prefer the beach so we didn’t spend a lot of time in them but there were plenty to pick from.

Beach- Beautiful and well maintained. We’ve been to other resorts where you had to get up early in the morning to reserve a chair….that wasn’t the case here. There were plenty of chairs and palapas to go around. There’s a beach bar and food station. We munched on delicious guacamole, grilled chicken and pico de gallo all day. As mentioned in other reviews, the drinks aren’t terribly strong, but I think that’s probably in everyone’s best interest.

Ocean- The water was a great temperature and the waves were big. There were very large rocks/coral throughout. We both got cuts and bruises on our feet. I highly recommend water shoes!

Restaurants- The food was very good. No, it’s not 5 star restaurant quality, but it was very good…especially for an all inclusive. Our favorites were the Japanese, Gourmet and Steak. Go with the Filet at the Steakhouse. My husband got the sirloin and it wasn’t so great. A few people have complained about the Mexican restaurant and I’m guessing they were expecting Tex-Mex. This was good authentic Mexican.

Entertainment- The Starfriends are very friendly and go out of there way to make sure you are having a good time. I thought the shows were very entertaining in the outdoor theatre. There is karaoke a few nights a week in the Maya lobby bar. The mall across the way has a dance club that is the only place to get a drink after midnight. It also has a taco place, pizza and hamburger joint and an ice cream and crepes place. The crepes were delicious.

Weather- The weather on TV showed storms everyday however what we observed was that it rained every day until about 9:30 and then was beautiful from there out. Perfect for sleeping late!

People- Everyone is so happy to be there that it’s easy to meet nice people. We met some great folks; Mandy, Wilfred, Nicole, Brendie, John and Kelly to name a few. We participated in soccer on the beach and archery. There are tons of other sports as well. One piece of advice to management would be to post what’s happening and where throughout the grounds. The only location I saw it at was by the theatre and they don’t post it until the day of. As you’ve likely read, the grounds are very large and it’s not practical to run back and forth. As for the size of the grounds, it’s probably the only reason I didn’t put on 10 pounds with all the delicious food.

Issues- The only issue was had was at checkout. They have an “easy” checkout where you can checkout with your building’s concierge. I waited for that only to be told I had a 4 peso phone call charge. We had to go up to the front to checkout and when I told the man we had not made a call he acted like I was lying…over 4 pesos. He accusingly made me sign some paper saying I hadn’t placed the call and was a real jerk about being bothered. I think I figured out what happened later. My husband called the front desk and they transferred him to the Apple desk who I think transferred him to their home base in Playa. Anyhow….it was annoying but I wasn’t going to let it ruin the entire vacation.

Summary- We will likely go back someday and would highly recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Dani_MA
Reviewed 11 December 2006

Traveled to IPL 12/3-12/10; this was a family trip/7 adults. Here's my honest breakdown:
1/ Above all, the beauty of this compound is amazing - 4 hotels, all spread out comfortably, landscaping + placement of sculptures + waterfalls all over the place, absolutely beautiful. My room was overlooking the massive pool(s) and all thatched palapas + waterfalls, absolutely wonderful.
2/ Service - we found it to be exceptional. We have all been many places and found the service here to be great...the people are friendly, efficient + helpful. Loved the daily maid service towel designs (bunnies, swans, elephants, etc), and the rooms were very clean...Decor was simple, but tasteful. It was very nice.
3/ Locations in resort , to shopping, etc. - Lindo + Maya are the 2 hotels in compound where you have full dining echange privledges, so if you're going, those 2 are the best for your buck. We all stayed in Lindo buildings 52 + 53 (52 is garden view-beautiful) and 53, pool views, both best locations because you're mid-way between lobby + restaurants, and the beach. If you don't like or can't walk a lot, this is not the place for you. We enjoyed the walking to everything but not all do.....BIG NOTE: if it rains, be careful when walking on the spanish tile walkways - really slippery, a few people fell. This sounds like a small thing but it's not, though the staff is out there trying to sweep the puddles as fast as possible.
Also, there are a few shops in each hotel, but an Iberostar shopping center across the street....very convenient....buses also meet @ shopping center every hour for Playa del Carmen shopping 1/2 hr. away.
4/ Pools are massive + all interconnected @ Lindo + absolutely beautiful - wave pool is fun, and so is the lazy river.....So clean, all of it....Though the beach was beautiful, we stayed mostly at the pools...our weather wasn;t that great + the pools were closest, so we chose the pools most days...wonderful + easy to duck in our rooms when it downpoured. Pool waters very cool, but when it was hot out, we thought that was more refreshing.
5/ Dining - between Lindo, Maya + Del Mar, we dined at Steakhouse, Seafood + Japanese, Italian, Asian, Gourmet + Cajun, some average + some excellent, but service in all was outstanding, especially Rolando (Gourmet), and Kenye (a few of the restaurants).

For those with children: This place is great for kids. Iberostar has the "Star Friends" who take the kids to do things all around the hotel + compound every day. We watched a lot of the interaction + this group of employees were so great with the kids. The kids are also taught dances to songs + at night in the open theatre, the kids all get up with the "Star Friends' and dance onstage - really fun to see + hear....Kids were occupied + well-behaved + parents got to relax a bit.....

Overview - it was a great family vacation + I would recommend Iberostar Resorts to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family