“Tipping another view point”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 August 2005

Cant believe someone can say dont tip. Yes they do accept tips and if you can afford it please give something in appreciation for the long hard hours they work for us, and they make next to nothing for it. Most travel agents I talk to do tip, as most people in general do as I have seen. You read in 9 out of 10 reviews that people tip. If you see what they make per hour you will know they are making next to nothing. Thank god very few dont tip or else I bet we woudnt get the great service we do. Who wants to work for free, this is why they are in the service industry to make tips. It has nothing to do with what the vacation books say. Please tip if you can and keep up the good hearted trend. I dont tip everysingle time I get something, and have never found my service had suffered, but I do tip when I can. Its an act of kindness.

• Stayed: January 2002
15  Thank Mr.Babies

Reviewed 4 August 2005

My family of four, kids 14 and 12, attended the Maya from July 27th to Aug 3rd. As you can imagine the damage of Hurricane Emily weighed heavily on my mind before arriving. So we went with no expectations and hoping for the best. I can tell you I was greatly surprised. If I had not known about Hurricane Emily, I would have never realized there had been a problem. Two roofs were being repaired and thus two restaurants were closed, the Mexican and the Chinese (although it was the roof over the Italian being fixed. They moved the Italian across the hall to the Chinese (Pagoda) and took the Chinese out of commission.) They also told us there were jelly fish in the ocean so advised us not to swim in it.
The restaurant closures were a very minor inconvenience, and after seeing a ton of people in the water, I questioned a few people and was informed that they had been in the ocean for "hours every day" and no one had been stung, so I plunged in and suffered no adverse effects.
I won't go into detail about the "beautiful" surroundings. Suffice it to say, it's still as beautiful as everyone has said. The rooms are spacious, and everything was very clean. A great piece of advice I picked up at this website, bring a floating air mattress with you. The pools are huge, and it will cost you only a few dollars to pick one up at Wal-Mart or wherever, but it will cost you SUBSTANTIALLY more down there to purchase one.
My family really enjoyed the Italian restaurant. Also, bring Off. The mosquitos come out at night. A great vacation, and I hope this relieves any anxiety any soon-to-be going vacationers are experiencing.

• Stayed: July 2005
21  Thank happyWindsor
Reviewed 4 August 2005

Excuse me .... in response to review titled "Comments on Tipping". I have yet to hear of anyone at this resort getting fired for accepting a tip and I now know many of the staff personally. As well generally you are only leaving a dollar or two it isn't like you are tipping 15% every time you are served. A wad of 100 $1 US bills will do you quite nicely for the week. In fact most of the employees are extremely humble at even accepting a tip. I have received excellent service at this resort with or without tipping. I find that most of the service is already above and beyond and then if I tip to recognize this then the service quite often becomes above, above and beyond ... i.e. a lot of staff can't seem to do enough for you ... they are shooting for the stars!! For example I gave one of my favorite servers a pair of slippers and some pretty stationary (from the dollar store - big deal) for his wife and the next day he comes back with 2 CD's of beautiful Mexican music - one for myself and one for the friend I was travelling with. I felt so guilty. I said you don't have to bring me anything. I sure cherish those CD's.

In several weeks I will be returning to the Iberostar Paraiso property for the 8th time. I have stayed in all the sections, Maya, Lindo, and Beach - i.e. as they were consecutively opened. Obviously I love this resort - as you can read in all the reviews the combination of all the sections make for a tropical wonderland filled with fantastic pools, white sand beach, a large variety of casual and elegant dining choices, walking paths surrounded by gardens / wildlife, architectural brilliance, and photographic opportunities galore. But most importantly, because it is located in Mexico you will find here, as with most of the resorts in the area ... the kindest, warmest, most sincere people you will ever meet on this earth.

No matter what your country's custom is regarding tipping or your personal opinions of whether to tip or not to tip at an all inclusive - tipping is a gift of personal choice. Is is a monetary gift offered to someone to say thank you for serving me like a Queen as I lie here in my bathing suit while you the all inclusive worker sweat to death.

After having a disappointing experience in St. Lucia 20 years earlier I vowed never to return to the Caribbean again. For those of you that have had bad experiences of lower standards in the Carribean believe me Mexico is light years ahead of the Caribbean for a tropical vacation destination. After many years of having my vacation desires met in Sarasota / Sanibel Island, Florida I got bored there and decided to try Mexico. The first time we went to Mexico (and an all inclusive) was in 2000 - we went to a lovely resort in Cancun. In retrospect the only reason to stay in Cancun is if you enjoy serious clubbing ... otherwise go to the Mayan Riviera for nature, snorkelling and prettier resorts. I remember having a tight fist on my wallet the first time I went. I was thinking, this is an "all inclusive ... it said gratuities included... and by golly... I am not tipping period". How shallow. There was no way we were going to tip that bell boy that initially carried our bags to our rooms ... No way. Well we lasted about an hour with our "no tips for you all inclusive workers" policy as when we got an iron brought to our room we already felt like non-tipping cheapo monsters by this point so yes we tipped the room service guy (quite a hefty tip I might add as I didn't understand the peso conversion yet - who cares you're on holidays!). By the end of the week we were so blown away by this country's people who are as close to deep humanity as you want to get that I gave one of the Activities fellows $50 as he had totally made our first experience in Mexico "over the top" and made us feel so special - he kept pushing the money back at me - I practically had to wrestle with him to get him to take the money. I'd sure come full circle.

Remember the reason that all inclusive prices are such good deals for us is that the all the owners of resorts in developing countries capitalize on CHEAP LABOUR. Get your calculator out and you will discover that it takes the person cleaning your room one full year, working 6 days a week, to earn what you payed for "one week" of your life in paradise. Personally I am not rich by any means however everyone who lives in Canada or the US is affluent compared to the average Mexican so count yourself lucky!!

A gorgeous resort can be built anywhere - however it truly is the Mexican people that work here that provide the special times and lasting memories.

Down here the decision to tip comes from the heart not from your wallet.

• Stayed: May 2005
47  Thank cindylouBurlington
Reviewed 1 August 2005

I am actually responding to the last post "A GREAT VACATION" (and am copying their 5-star rating even though I have not stayed at this resort). The writer encouraged tipping the staff which, thoughtful as that is, is not necessary nor encouraged. As a travel agent, I know the concept of all-inclusive is a financially worry-free experience. The tipping is included in the price. I suppose the theory at work here is that other guests may suffer if tipping customers are shown preferential treatment. Not only does management not allow tipping, but an employee may be fired for accepting a tip. And for many people, the questions of "should I tip" or "did I tip enough" may be something they'd rather not think about on their vacation.

Stayed: August 2005
22  Thank mikeLA
Reviewed 31 July 2005

We just got back from the Iberostar Paraiso Maya in the Riviera Maya, Mexico. We had a great time there over 6 days / 5 nights.

Positives
Staff was very friendly and service-oriented. Maid service of rooms was excellent.
Pools were large and gorgeous. We never had a problem getting chairs.
The resort was spread out so that even though lots of people were there, we never felt crowed. Expect to walk quite a bit. By contrast, the Moon Palace was nice, but cramped and felt like a mall.
Lots of families with kids, so your kids will find friends easily.
Lots of activities (billiards, swimming, ping pong, evening entertainment, etc)
Free shuttle to Playa del Carmen

Negatives
No ATM anywhere on the premises. You have to go into Playa del Carmen to get cash. This can be a major problem if you plan to get out on an excursion and don't have enough cash. The front desk refuses to give cash using a credit card or ATM.
Food was sometimes excellent, sometimes mediocre. Don't expect every meal to be high quality. As my 9 year-old daughter said, she much preferred hamburgers and hot dogs (her favorite foods) in an chain restaurant in the US over the same at Iberostar. Japanese and Mexican were our favorites restaurants.
In contrast to the hotel's swimming pools, the beach was dirty, rocky, rough, and had nude sunbathers. After visiting the beach briefly, we avoided for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed: July 2005
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
15.5 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!