“Great Resort ,,,People were awesome,,,Had alot of fun!!!”

Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Had alot of fun here with my daughters, read reviews and was scared at first but once I got there,,well I will list my experience!

Check in----Fast and easy, greeted with drinks!

Rooms---Ours was great,,jacuzzi, porch swing hammock,,,towel animals everyday which the kids enjoyed...Housekeeping could be improved by more people to get to the rooms earlier but we never had a problem. Beds are hard or should I say,,,cott style mattress's. The couch in the room is more comfortable.

Grounds---Immaculate,,,walk at night and you will see people working all through the night,,,,we couldnt find a butt or cup or paper on the grounds at all.

Pools----awesome,,,wave pool should run longer and lazy river needs more sprays and fountains that spray you as you ride through it....Its good but im just saying if it needed anything this is all it would need

Buffet---well its all inclusive so what do ya expect,,juices were horrible,,,fish in the morning isnt my thing,,,but you can find what you like and eat till your full.

Drinks----Mojitos ,,,mmmmmm,,,,,I was surprised no coronas but i was happy

Restaurants---well they are not like back home but we found the steak place to be the best,,,some food was well,,i like the place so I shall stop.

Beach---I like the beach,,,clean,,,very clean,,,grab your towel at 8 and place them either at the pool or beach if you want a spot in the shade,,sun is brutal there.

Nightlife----the shows were great,,,Movie night,,disco night were awesome,,highly recommend them. We tried to figure out where everyone went at night since the resort is HUGE.

Kids liked the free 24hr room service and free food and drinks at the shopping plaza,,ice creme, crepes,,,ect,,,

You can drink the water there and not be scared, ice, mixed drinks,,we had no problems at all since the water is filtered and isnt like 20 yrs ago there,,,if this was the case nobody would go. We will go back most def,,,the star friends people work like 25 hrs a day,,,morning,,noon, night,,we tried to figure out if they were twins or just didnt sleep...
We are also trying to find out the limbo song on the beach and the theme song when they introduce the star friends,,so if someone reads this and can help then my kids would appreciate it as I hope my post does,,,any questions please ask ...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Dean83169
Write a ReviewReviews (5,158)

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Overall this resort was a great place to go. I'll agree with most other about all the 'good' stuff, and won't bore you all with the same details. What I will do is highlight good tips to give others to make their stay an awesome one, because it is what you make it.
If you like floating in the lazy river, bring cheap tubes with - you can sweet talk the lady in the booth to air them up for you (the hut that sells blow up toys near the wave pool). I thought it would be a pain to lug around tubes, but they weren't that big, and when we wanted them in the river, the pool or even at the beach, we had them. The lazy river does not have very many tubes.
Make all your dinner reservations right when you get there with your concierge - this person is on the first floor of your particular building. All the specialty restaurants have good food. If you decide you don't want to go a particular night, then hit the buffet.
They have local vendors that come into the resort at night and set up booths. I found their prices mostly fair, however be careful... I bought a Mexican blanket at one of the mall shops (in the resort) for $20, which I thought was a good deal. Then I asked a vendor how much for his blanket, and he said $65 for the same exact blanket ! So price compare a bit. The shops in the resort have fair prices, especially t-shirts !
While you don't have to tip anyone, it's nice to have alot of $1 or $5 bills with you if you leave the resort, go on some excursions, etc... to tip the drivers, and such. Or even to tip your bartender at the resort. We felt these people all went way out of their way to make sure you were having a good time, and when you notice the living conditions there, you know they are not paid well. So, bring small bills to let them know you appreciate them. We went to Beaches Turks and Caicos last year, and the staff was not really that friendly. The people in and around this resort and the excursions were all very friendly.
If you have problems finding a chair by a pool, try back near the wave pool or sports pool. If you want a shady chair on the beach, you might have to get their early.
The beach water was pretty to look at, but a little disappointing to swim in because it was a little 'mossy'.. guess I preferred Turks and Caicos on this point. Also, if you have smaller kids that like to collect shells or snorkel off the beach looking at fish, the beach does not offer any of that - too wavy, and no shells - another point that T&C wins on. But, it was fun to jump the waves and again, still a pretty beach.
You might want to pack an extra thin beach towel, since they only allow you 1 per person at a time and the towel hut is only open 8-6. The extra beach towel might come in handy if you go on an excursion and need a thinner towel to pack in a beach bag, or just need a fresh towel and the towel hut is closed.
I'd recommend the Tulum Extreme excursion - if you want to see the ruins and want a little adventure with it, it's alot of fun. Marcel was our driver and he kept us well informed and safe.

3  Thank pepsigirl1111
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Just returned end of July. Had another wonderful experience with Iberostar. The Maya rooms were large with a seperate area with coffee/refrig and closets. There is a door you can close to seperate from the sleeping area which was very nice. I could get up very early and make coffee without disturbing my family. I am sort of picky about meals and in my opinion they were all wonderful. Had lobster anytime I wanted for dinner. Probably the best at the Italian restaurant imagine that! This is a very large resort so plan on alot of walking would not reccomend for anyone that does not enjoy walking far to the beach pools and restaurants. The grounds are immaculatly kept . Staff very helpful my son enjoyed riding the golf carts from resort to resort and they never tired of him riding along to the othere Iberostar resorts. The pool at the Maya is nice but make sure you do not miss going over to the Del Mar/Beach resort. We enjoyed the pool there much more but we also enjoyed the wave pool and lazy river at the Maya. Loved the Mall that was within walking distance of the Maya, a nice change of atmosphere. If you do not have your heart set on an ocean front room this is a very nice resort, however, if you are expecting to request an ocean front room or Queen size beds find another resort because there are none. If you have no children traveling with you and want an ocean view the Iberostar Grand would be the perfect choice. All in all - not a 5 star but a very nice resort that requires alot of walking but beautiful scenery as you stroll along.

Reviewed 9 August 2010

We traveled to the Riviera Maya as a part of a large group for a family member's 40th birthday. A part of that group was my brother-in law who had an accident earlier this year and where he is currently confined to a wheelchair and is a paraplegic. It was my responsibility to organize the trip and find a hotel in Mexico where he would be able to come along. After a lot of research, we finally decided upon the Paraiso Maya and it was a great decision.

We booked through funjet and they were able to give him a shared transfer which accomodated his wheelchair since he was not able to board a bus with the rest of us. Once we got to the resort, the staff was very helpful and accomodating with his needs.

The Hotel: It is very, very large, but there are hardly any stairs anywhere. My brother-in-law was able to travel everywhere in his wheelchair with no problem. All the paths are wide and clear and the common areas in the hotel are free and clear of any plants and decorations so that he could easily maneuver around. The hotel even provided us the option of renting a motorized scooter or beach wheelchair (which we did not do), but it goes to show how handicap friendly this place is.

The Room: Would rival any handicap accessible room in the US. The room was wide and allowed for wheelchair access. There were no steps down. The bathroom had a handicapp toilet, a sink where he could slide his wheelchair under and an accessible shower. The hotel even provided him with a shower bench. They gave him a room on the first floor, but even otherwise

The Restaurants/Pool: Once again, hardly any steps. The beach chairs were positioned far enough away from the pool deck so you could maneuver a wheelchair through there. As far as the restaurants, the buffet aisles where at the right height where he could serve himself. There are also smaller, more private pools in the complex and he was actually able to transfer from his wheelchair

Beach: This was actually a very nice surprise. Most hotel beaches would be impossible for anyone confined to a wheelchair to enjoy, but the Iberostar beach has a boardwalk the entire length of the beach which he was able to easily maneuver on. The boardwalk runs the lenght of the property and is between the beach bars/restaurants, beach clubs and the beach chair areas. What was even better was there was an area where the boardwalk turned toward the beach and extended maybe 20 feet from the water and ended into a T-shape with beachchairs and umbrellas. Unfortunately, this was prime beach real estate since it was beach chairs and umbrellas that were not on the sand, so the area was the first to go in the morning. The second day, we got out to the area very early and were able to get the spot.

The one caveat at the hotel is that some of bathrooms (like the one in the nightclub) were not wheelchair accessible. The public bathrooms, I believe, were more wheelchair "friendly" but not like the bathrooms in the rooms.

Overall, this hotel is great for a wheelchair user. Since it basically shares the same premises with the Lindo, I think the Lindo would be just the same. Honestly, my brother-in-law and his family were pretty scared about going to a foreign country because they did not know what to expect there. After all, the ADA does not really operate in Mexico. But with the Iberostar, there were really no worries. I would compare it to any wheelchair accessible hotel in the US.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank Jas B
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Let me start by saying that we have been to 8 different hotels in this area over the last 15 years and Iberostar Paraiso Maya is very impressive. The check-in/out, the consierge service, the attention to details, the cleaning service, the security and just about everything was very good. Even though I will recommend this hotel to any of my friends and would go there again without hesitation, below is the list of things that the management can improve to make it a great hotel.
1. Within the first 10 minutes of moving in to our room, the A/C started leaking. It was fixed in 10 minutes and continue working without problems for all 8 days we stayed there.
2. If you get to the pool or the beach after 8 am, you are not going to get a launge chair with an umbrella, though each umbrella has a sign saying "do not reserve" but it really needs to be enforsed by the hotel.
3. Mattresses were very hard, though on the last day I heard that you may be able to ask your consierge for a mattress pad (don't know if this is true).
4. Food.
Breakfast - at Marina restaurant was absolutely great. One time we went to the Lindo side for a breakfast and it was clearly not as good so we did not go there again.
Lunch - You have only 3 choices, Italian and Mexican restaurants by the beach/pool area and the buffet at Lindo. Since neither Italian or Mexican places had A/C, we elected to eat lunch at the Lindo buffett. What a horrible place!!!!!! The service at the table was non-existent, even though all those waiters have to do is to bring water and juice. On two occasions at that buffet, (the same waiter both times) we could not get even a glass of water for 10-15 minutes. Considering that these waiters do not clean tables but only serve drinks, this is absolutely unexcusable. The pasta station was great, the rest of the food was so-so, but comparing to other all-inclusive hotels in the area, maybe even slightly better (yet far from 5 star).
Dinners - we never went to the buffet, since it was in the Lindo (see breakfast and lunch above). Instead we went to six different ala carte restaurants. Below is my (and only my) opinion. I may be harder to please on the food front since I cook very well myself, so considering that:
Mexican and Italian restaurants were so average/forgettable that I can't remember what I ate there.
Japanese Teppanyaki style restaurant was atrocious. First of all, all food was not spiced with anything. The fried rice was so burnt, that alfa-alfa tasted like charcoal. We had 16 people at the table and the chef had two very little cooking areas. When you have that little space and try to prepare meat (about 5-6 lb) for all 16 people at once, the result can only be boiled rubberish meat of a very low quality. The lobster and the shrimp were ok, but it is very hard to damage those anyway. If you are a fan of teppanyaki style cooking, do yourself a favor and bypass this place.
French - L'Etoulet was great. We went there twice and the food and the service was top notch. I highly recommend this place. Asparagus soup, Duck or Tenderloin, the salads - all were excellent.
La Marina sea food - very good. The appetizer buffet has a great selection of crab claws, smoked salmon, and everything else was excellent. The main course was not as good as L'Etoulet, but nevertheless, very good.
El Rancho (a poor semblance of a Texas Steakhouse) - may be worse that the Japanese place. I wanted to meet that chef who was able to screw up a ribeye beyond recognition. Their idea of baked potato is a small fingerling potato sliced in half and baked to death.
Overall, the food is good, but the management need to employ at least someone knowledgable in Japanese and Texas cooking styles and give the Maya patrons an airconditioning choice of a lunch place of their own without going to Lindo where the service level was not up to par.

As to the additional services:
Spa - a 50 minutes massage for $95????????? A highway robbery! I don't pay that much at home!!! Instead we went to Playa del Carmen (a 17 min ride for 40 pesos per person (about $3.50)) and had an hour excellent massage for $26 +tips at the Oasis, located on the 5th ave.
Non-motorized sports - took a Hobbie cat out for an hour. The wind was great and the ride is very good.
Motorized sports - I wished they would move their jet skies further away from the beach/swimming area. While we were swimming in the gulf, the smell of gasolene was overwhelming most of the time. It would clear up after 4-5 pm since the water sports shop closes by then, but still.........
Beach - the sandy bottom area for swimmers is about 150 yards long with all guests from 4 hotels (Mar, Beaches, Lindo, and Maya) would occupy. I found a nice spot about 200 yards to the right, just passed the Grand Hotel, where the bottom was free of boulders and had it all to myself away from the gasolene smell as well.
Since you have gotten so far, you probably wonder why I gave this hotel 4 star? Overall there were many great things about this hotel, I just want you to know that not all is perfect here, so don't be surprized by my negative remarks. I would go back to Maya any time, I will simply avoid the bad spots from now on.
If you want to shell out a bit more $$ and travel without kids, you might want to consider Iberostar Grand Hotel just next door. You can have a tour of this place Mon, Wed, Fri, at 3:30 pm - you will enjoy it.

3  Thank Cosmo003
0.5 km away
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!