“Excellent mais...”
Review of Le Flacon

Le Flacon
Reserve with
Le Flacon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 119 Restaurants in Carouge
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 April 2018

I have visited this place on several occasions with friends and family. First off, this place simply cannot be described in a few words, buckle up, I have an extensive review here.

The Good: Their deserts are simply MIND BLOWING. Personally, in “Le Flocon” I have found one of the best desserts I have ever tasted (no kidding). And I have had many deserts. It was caramel dessert (the picture can be found below). Amazing quality along with the perfect balance of textures and flavors. Everything was right on spot. Exactly what you would expect from fine cuisine. The caramel dessert was a perfection, although I feel obligated to mention that every time I set my foot in this restaurant, their desserts were a manifestation of pure excellence overall. It’s so good, that if I was to be on the death row I would order one of their deserts for my last meal (says it all, right?).

Some of their dishes are also really good. Well, if you compare them to other high-end restaurants in Switzerland, they actually are more than just good. Unfortunately, that being said, the quality of those high-end restaurants in Switzerland and particularly in Geneva, are not exactly on point, compared with those based in London, Paris and New York as an example. So, what I say, is that they are really good, I mean comparing with other high-end restaurants in the area (sorry, but that had to be said). Never the less, I would choose this establishment my eyes closed (even over “Le Chateaux Vieux”) when deciding where to bring my family and friends, whenever I wish to have a taste of fine cuisine dishes in Geneva.

The third point is their wine selection. Well, well, well, this has to mentioned. The wine carte and their selected pairings are simply spot on. My advice, when choosing any of their menus, go with the pre-selected wine pairing (for the restaurant: I applaud your work), for individual choice of dishes; ask your waiter, because, in this place, they advise your wine correctly. This is to be considered normal anywhere else, but is, indeed, a rare case in Geneva. Bravo for that.

So, had enough of praise? Ready for some constructive critique? Here you go then!

The Bad: Ok, sorry guys, but since my review is nonbiased and reflecting my real experiences (that is what you are aiming for right?), I have to give you some unpleasant details as well. So, since I have visited this establishment on quite a few occasions I do not think it is a recurrent problem, but during one of my visits, there was an insane amount of salt in the dishes (REALLY INSANE). At that time, we have chosen one of their menus and only when we’ve received our third (so, so salty) dish we had to make a remark to our waiter. And what honestly shocked me, was the reaction to the remark in the cuisine (not that of the waiter). For those who have never visited this place before, you actually CAN see all that is happening in the cuisine through the transparent window-wall (this is cool guys). The chef was, not happy, he was smiling through all the evening (we loved that) and there, ever since our waiter approached him with our bad news, he was really grumpy, and we sadly did not have a pleasure to see his beautiful smile (did I mention he is hot too?) through the rest of our evening. We did regret ever mentioning the cuisine mistake to our waiter, the rest of our dishes came out perfect but making the chef so obviously sad, made us sad as well.

Their service. I have to admit that I am conflicted on this on. Why? Well, let me explain. In “Le Flocon” you will receive two types of treatment from your, no doubt, professional waiters. But in one case it will be pleasant and in the other not so much. What do I mean by that? Easy, the pleasant experience would involve your waiters being easy-going and overall cool. The not-so-pleasant experience would involve them making you feel like you are below their level (for the reason I have no idea of). So, my advice to them: guys, be simple, because, no matter what, everyone likes that, plus, sometimes people having a lot of money 8if that is the issue) are not the ones who are explicitly dressed in “Vuitton “clothes (there are discreet luxury brands as well). And adopt the rule to treat all of your customers the same way. You are all so professional and great at your job, but don’t think that your so-called “prout-prout” approach is never noticed by your customers (even if they have enough of class and education not to mention it to you).

The Ugly: OMG, the ugly part. And there is one, although it can be easily rectified. So, I hope the restaurant management (I mean their chef) reads this and makes some really doable changes. So, let’s get on with it.

We do understand that it’s normal when you come personally great regular clients and people you know at their table. We have all seen you knowing their names (good for them and for your business) and greeting them personally. BUT, please, since you only have not so many tables overall, make sure that you acknowledge the presence of your other customers when you do so. Meaning, a simple “Bonjour (Bonsoir) comment se passe votre repas (soirée)?” would be enough. This would not only be pleasant, but also would make us want to come back for more, more and more, so the next time you would know our names too. Instead, by not greeting us, you not only make us feel degraded, like if we were inferior to your other clients but also, not letting us express our appreciation towards your art of cuisine. Do I have a genuine question, WHY? Why would YOU miss on this opportunity? I mean once we even sat at the chef’s table and you just passed by without even saying “hello”. I am not judging you but making the suggestion beneficial for your business (I am actually a professional at client relationship management). It is easy, it is simple, and yes you don’t have to do it, but imagine if you did? We would love you and would want to come back for more of that special experience. Would that make your more regular clients feel less special? NO! You know why? Because you know them by their names and this is priceless. But if you take a slightly different approach to your less regular clients you might just have more regular ones as a result (see, I am on your side here)!

Date of visit: January 2018
3  Thank AleksiaS3

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Brought a visitor from out of town and we were absolutely delighted with the 4 course tasting menu. Beautiful presentation and delicious seasonal dishes with excellent quality ingredients. Lovely, chic atmosphere and friendly service. A nice alternative to Les Négociants in Carouge. I will be back soon with my husband!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We don’t want to be indelicate with such a nice place. But it was below our expectations:
- The tables for 2 are squeezed and there’s no privacy or romanticism for the couples
- Our table was the worse for 2 people: we were stuck at a corner next to a wall
- Initial service confused, wanted us to choose wine before we know what we wanted to eat
- Restaurant is very noisy which kills any romanticism
- We are a big fan of restaurants with small menus. This foster the specialty of the chef and allow to concentrate on quality. However, the menu was not attractive at all. My wife had to choose a salad that we have at home as a starter, and her dish was féra with gnocchi / betterave, cime di rapa et sabayon. Féra was replaced by trout. This was a 1000% a summer dish, with nothing to do with the winter

For what the restaurant could (not) offer, the relation price / quality failed: it is expensive and overrated in our opinion. We can get a better, although still sophisticated meal, in many other places, in Carouge or Geneva.

It’s a pity… so we stick to Qu’Importe and give it 5 stars always, but most probably we won’t return to Le Flacon.

The restaurant was very nice to us giving a small candle for our anniversary celebration.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

Have come here several times and have never been disappointed. Fine food and attentive service. We will be back!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

We went to the flacon for a family occasion with 3 generation. We are foodies and we were very impressed by the quality of what we had. Particularly the bar mariné is in the top 5 of our list! this is a 3 macarons dish (and we have been to quite a number of them). We enjoyed the service, the atmosphere, and also to be able to see the chef and his team preparing the food.

Date of visit: December 2017