All reviews recommend this hotel issos beach pool bar corfu town sandy beaches star hotel turn right boat trip to paxos bars and restaurants air con couples and families close to the hotel bit dated greek night friendly hotel cheap holiday reception staff
Reviewed 1 October 2017

We arrived late evening and first impressions of the outside area and lobby were clean looking and tidy. We were offered food - a bag with a cheese and ham sandwich, nectarine and bottle of water - disappointing but I was hungry. The friendly receptionist gave us our key so off we went to discover the room. First the smell of sewerage hit us which stayed in our room during whole duration of stay and considering I ended up with diarrhea and sickness ( met a few people later that were suffering the same), this was stomach turning! Room was dated, squashed bugs on the curtains, thick dust under the 3 single beds. Shower head didn't stay up well and there was green rust on the taps and fixings. Our outside door to the balcony got stuck with me on outside on the balcony on day 2, but the manager came and removed the door (which incidently was left off all night incurring my partner plenty of mosquito bites). No kettle which was a shame. Noisy air con. Maids come every day though and we had plenty of toilet roll left and clean towels.
Food, oh dear me, was very poor. Breakfast bearable due to friendly staff, lunch and teatime was a no go, not much selection at all and repeats. We ate out at our cost even though we were all inclusive. Such a shame and really disappointing.
Bar had attentive staff but the tiny selection of drinks tasted weird ( I had a rum but couldn't drink it as pretty sure it was cheap whisky), and all inclusive drinks ended at 10pm - rather early I would say. Snack counter had sweaty cheese based snacks- not worth mentioning.
Pool area small but nice, pool clean, comfy bed type sunbathers to lay on. Toilet was clean. Music playing all day which we liked. Shop near hotel = beers.
Not much for children to do at all. Local amenities ok, Some nice places to eat and some friendly bars. Great beach to go to 10 mins away from hotel. Can hire boats for the day, quad bikes and ride to Corfu town. Would visit Corfu again but not this hotel - not worth 3 stars. We still enjoyed our holiday despite the flaws and illness.
Food, drinks and some rooms need seriously updating. Drains need sorting.
Finally our wristband were removed immediately at 12 oclock on our leaving day despite the fact that we didn't arrive till 10pm, so feel a bit cheated on this as we then had to pay for food and drinks again that day as our hotel pick up wasn't till 6pm.

Room tip: Choose sea view facing rooms only as less smelly.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank beclovesteands
GoldenHotelsCorfu, Ιδιοκτήτης at Golden Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear beclovesteands

we just let you know that we keep for our late arrivals a simple packet with an sandwich , a fruit in case our guests are hungry .
Our buffet has variety and the menu is changing ,but as we all konw every person has a different taste .
About the sickness ,it was not our fault .
It has been a virus in the area and we could not do anything about it because most of the guests did not want to have an advice for a doctor and some of them also didnt stay in the room so the virus could stop.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

First of all this is the first review I've ever left on tripadvisor,I am however a well travelled indivual and always see what I get for my money before complaining.firstly the food...disgusting..when we arrived 2 of the guests were suffering food poisoning..lots of people had very upset stomachs.The food is very poor with very little choice..for instance one night on the menu was pork covered in tinned tomatoes,sprouts,macaroni cheese and spaghetti (no sauce).Breakfast was rubbish..hot dog sausages,beans eggs.Now for the bars snacks,all pastry based,put into a hot counter at the bar at 10am and left all day.
Drinks consisted of beer,vodka,whiskey,brandy,cumquat and limited soft drinks..THATS IT.no cocktails or cordials.
The place itself is pretty run down,there is an sewage odour lingering around all the time,rooms are ok some better than others,but don't ask to change rooms because they won't let you.
Staff are generally pleasant and pool area is nice.
We ate out every night..the village is a nice restaurant as is sunset bar and a place called seagulls,kazoos is great for beer and karaoke and if you like sports then head to europa bar.
I hope this will be of some use to someone..this is a genuine honest review.

Room tip: Get a sea view room,less odour at front of hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank neilhalsted
Reviewed 26 September 2017

just got bk lastnite from my worst holiday ever!!!.....saved for a full year to go on this holiday and wot a waste of money!!.....sickness and diarrhoea throughout the hotel which I was told had been an ongoing issue since june!!! (don't know how true this is).....could not fault the staff for being polite and friendly tho......certainly needs updating as very basic and needs a bloody good deep clean.....food diabolical....could just about stomach the breakfast as I had coissants but dinners and evening meals was a definite no no unless u wanted chips and rice ....didn't cater for the English so just about all our spending money went on eating out therefore we cudnt do any activities or trips that we would hav liked to do!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank michaela270573
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

My family are currently staying here and after a 3 hour flight delay arrived hoping this would be a dream holiday. But after only being there 2 days woke up with the worst diarrhoea and sickness!! The worst thing is the whole hotel has it due to the dirtiness of the hotel and lack of food hygiene! The chemist is a 45 min walk, the hotel is in the middle of no where! Food is kept in a hot server all Day! The hotel is old and dated and everywhere is dirty. Will be taking this further... EVERYONE THINKING OF BOOKING HERE DONT!!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Cassie E
GoldenHotelsCorfu, Ιδιοκτήτης at Golden Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

Dear Cassie ,

There was a virus at the area and the sick guests were not allowed to go out of the room because other people could also get the illness unfortunetaly there were not listening .
The illness was not fault from the hotel otherwise all of us would be sick .
the hotel is at a vllage in which the are restaurants ,bars ,supermarkets in walking distance.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

When we booked this hotel it was getting excellent reviews but by the time we went they were terrible and I understand why. The first indication of how our all inclusive holiday was going to go was about 20 mins after we arrived. Check in wasn't till 2 so we left our luggage and went to have lunch and a drink. The lunch was just about edible. Little choice and we had to fight the wasps to get it. Then we went to the bar and things got worse. All inclusive local spirits consisted of brandy, vodka and ouzo or undrinkable wine or beer (no diet juice so too bad if you are diabetic) served in plastic glasses which were reused. When we got to our room there was a piece of glass lying in the corner, it was still there when we left 2 weeks later. 2 days into the holiday I was taken to hospital with diahorrea and sickness. We were told this was a virus that was going around. Strangely it seemed confined to our hotel. My husband also became ill and many other guests. When we stopped eating at the hotel we got better immediately. Our cleaner didn't seem to know that there was a balcony so it never got cleaned but that might have been because the rail was loose and we were on the second floor! The reception staff were lovely and that is the only reason this hotel got any score at all. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone but if you do go make sure you have travel insurance.

Room tip: We had a side room so we couldn't hear the booming music from the pool bar.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple