“It takes patience and laughter to teach me to dive!”

Blue Marlin Dive Gili Trawangan
Ranked #11 of 45 Tours in Gili Trawangan
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Marlin Dive is the original and longest established PADI dive resort on the beautiful Gili islands. Set up in 1992 by renowned technical diver and instructor Simon Liddiard, Blue Marlin has grown to be a successful PADI 5-Star Instructor Development Resort and TDI technical diving facility. We offer daily recreational and technical dive trips for certified divers, a complete range of PADI recreational courses from beginner to instructor level and a luxury diving liveaboard based in Komodo national park. An award-winning TDI and IART technical facility, we specialize in Enriched Air Nitrox, Tri-mix, Buddy Inspiration and Evolution, and JJ Closed-Circuit Rebreather training. We have a full service dive resort with a restaurant, bar & on-site accommodation. Let our clear warm waters, swaying palm trees and no-motorized traffic ensure your holiday is a memorable one.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My family and I all signed up for PADI diving in June 2012 with Blue Marlin Dive - Gili Trawangan and from the beginning, for my family, it was one disaster after the other. Edwin, Donna, Jen, Scuba Steve, Jamie, Ellie, and so many more went all out to accommodate us and get each one of us certified in the time we had to visit Gili T! Funny enough, not one of us finished on the same day or same dive. My daughter suffered from vertigo after her second dive and they were AWESOME! Everyone checked on her and asked what they could do to help. My youngest daughter had broken her arm in Bali (I told you.. one disaster after another) and we couldn't find a good orthopedic to cast her arm. After getting awesome advise from Joanne at Marta's Cottages (A MUST TO STAY AT) Edwin arranged a speed boat, driver who spoke English and could translate for us, and car to the hospital in Lombok! They went above and beyond all expectations and we were so lucky to have chosen Blue Marlin as our PADI diving instruction.
Donna started as my instructor but I got off schedule doing hospital hopping so Scuba Steve took over with my instruction. TALK about patience! He actually taught me how to "chill" and how to dive!
The rest of my family dove with Donna as the instructor and she was incredible. She takes time to answer all questions and doesn't let you get discouraged or frustrated when you don't feel like you are quite getting it.
Blue Marlin also became one of my favorite hang out places. We would arrive for class and dives and end up staying for the day just hanging out to talk with everyone.
That's another thing. The people there are all amazing. Everyone is friendly and encourages you! At one point I had almost given up and someone who was diving there with one of the world record holding divers came over and started talking to me. She offered great advice and told me not to give up or I would totally regret it! I don't know her name or I would thank her but I know that she was a friend of one of the Technical Instructors, Will. Maybe he knows her and can thank her for me.
The equipment was all up to par and clean. I thought the entire business was exceptionally well run and my only complaint is that I didn't get to stay longer to free dive with everyone!
We plan to return to Gili in October for my youngest to take her PADI instruction and look forward to the experience with confidence and appreciation to the wonderful "CREW" of Blue Marlin Dive!

1  Thank Kelly_loves_Gili
Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"explained everything"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 24 July 2012

My two adult sons and I are Open Water divers of some experience (10-15 dives), and my brother-in-law, his two adult kids and my adult daughter had not dived. So they did their Open Water training, which all went perfectly, and we did a brief refresher stint, then dived, joining them later in the week when they had finished. The centre is very well organized, the equipment is in perfect order, the staff are all patient, knowledgeable and careful and our divemasters (especially Dan) were terrific. It's a wonderful place to dive, with great visibility (about 25 metres), abundant fish life, warm waters, and (best of all) the dive sites are so close to the island that one is not on the boat all day each way, as is often the case elsewhere. And the cost of the dives is about $AUD38, which is a bargain by our standards. You can't fault this team, or Gili Trewangan!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Best place ever! Did all of my diving courses so far there and cant wait to do more! Can recommend anyone from beginner to more experienced to go there!

1  Thank Puckpel
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We decided to try scuba diving for the first time and decided on Blue Marlin after talking with folks at a couple shops. Ari was a great instructor and he and his helper were patient with me as I had some freakouts getting used to breathing under water. We went to Bounty Pier for our dive in the afternoon and Emma led us and another couple around. Diving in the ocean is much better than the pool. We went back a couple days later and did another dive at Shark Point with Tom. We were the only folks he was in charge of and we were more comfortable, both of which allowed us to see much more underwater life. Turtles were my favorite though my husband liked the octopus. If we had been on Gili T longer, I would definitely have done the certification course.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This was my first time diving, and we chose Blue Marlin because we had seen a lot of great reviews for them. Overall they were very good, with clear instructions by our friendly instructor Emma, and up-to-date equipment. For this reason I am rating four out of five. I was however disappointed and saddened with the dive itself. In particular the condition of the coral. I think maybe it had something to do with the fact that we could only go to 12 meters, (thankfully!) but as well as that the coral reef is in very bad shape. I have snorkeled in Egypt and the Whitsundays and unfortunately this did not compare. We did see lots of sea Turtles, and there are plenty of beautiful fish, but if you want to see beautiful colourful coral, maybe wait a while for it to repair or research the dive sites before you book. I'm sure there is plenty to see at deeper sites. Blue Marlin Dive is the company to use.

1  Thank LaurenConnor