“Enjoyable stay but not 5* ”

Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were intentionally supposed to stay for just two nights however we loved gili t and wanted to explore more of the island so booked 3 more nights here. We stayed in a premier deluxe room which was lovely, very spacious great air con and perfect location. Only one little moan concerning the room was that the shower wasn't great but that's me being fussy.
The location of the resort is a little out of the way from the restaurants/shops in the busy area of gili t however we hired bikes for the duration of our time so this wasn't an issue. The beach which sits outside the resort is very rocky however AMAZING for snorkelling!!!

I have a few downsides to to our stay which unfortunately reduce my rating. Although the staff were lovely and tried their best to please, on numerous occasions they ran out of a lot of things ( drinks / food etc). There was also a lot of flies around the breakfast area which put me off eating. The price to stay here is a little expensive for what you get. This resort is not 5* so do not go with 5* expectations.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would probably return!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
GM_JambuluwukOceano, General Manager at Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear ellie0000000

Warm greeting from jambuluwuk oceano resort.
Happy to read that your stay was enjoyable with passion and commitment to always provide high standard of services in order to exceed quest satisfaction.
We will continue always upgrade building one of restaurant and hospitality moral.
Thank you enjoyable with lovely room, great air con, perfect location, he staff is very friendly and helpful, and extend book 3 more nights.
The beach at our resort is the best view for snorkeling, sunset and sunrise point.
Our hotel provide snorkeling Trip 3 Island (Gili Trawangan, Gili Air, Gili Meno).
Staff and management would like to express sincere thanks and looking forward to welcoming you back with our family and friends.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We spent 3 nights in Gili T at the Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort and it was just amazing to rest on the swimming pool, take a very good breakfast. The facilities are very good. We also had the opportunity to rent bikes and ride all around the island.
But the most incredible about this hotel is the hospitality. As an example we could mention the incredible attendance we had from Ulan at the restaurant with beach view. She was always very careful and she had a great chat with us during our stay. She makes the difference at the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GM_JambuluwukOceano, General Manager at Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Debora R

Warm greeting from jambuluwuk oceano resort.
Thank you enjoyable with quiet place, rest on the swimming pool, the staff is very friendly and helpful,take a very good breakfast, the facilities are very good.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel presents a better picture than it is.

Full review below; but quick pros and cons.

Pro
-decent size rooms
-‎quiet and secluded

Con
-lazy staff/inattentive/unhelpful
-‎tired and worn
-‎food and drink quite expensive compared to elsewhere on island

Full review

This hotel is on Gili T, a remote and beautiful(ISH) island in indonesia and can be accessed only by boat shuttle services from the mainland. Anybody new to this, and with some moderate research will notice there are many different companies for this and can be a little confusing. I decided I would ask the Oceano hotel their thoughts, as usually hotels are more than happy to provide recommendations or also help arrange services. Months before visiting the hotel, I sent them an email asking their advice on the best way to get to Gili T from Ubud. I received no response.

A couple of weeks before arriving, I sent them another email chasing up. No response.

Two days before I visited, I sent them a Facebook message which they had read but...you guessed it... No response. Not a great start.

Fortunately, the hotel I was at in Ubud were delighted to arrange because that's what hotels do, they help their guests.

Nevermind, im a reasonable guy and we arrived at the hotel in one piece. When we got to check in, we were told we would have to wait as room was not ready. We were 4 hours early, so we were expecting this and went and grabbed some breakfast in the hotel bar. We sat for 30minutes before somebody came and spoke to us. This is normal here we soon realised.

We spent a day by the pool which is comfortable enough (although allowing residents to smoke a in the pool I I thought was a bit a disgusting)).

T hotel is away from main areas of Gili, and whilst only a short walk, we had been up since 5am and decided to eat at the hotel restaurant that night. The food was ok, but again you have to stand on a table shouting for any staff to take notice (take orders, drinks,paying etc). There are often dozens of young staff standing around and joking but not doing much else. Despite taking card payments in the hotel, they couldn't do this at the restaurant, and the waiter has to accompany you to reception to pay for your meal where the card machine is. Bit of a pain but never mind. I thought I could avoid this in future by setting up a tab with hotel for food/drinks etc. I had seen others charge to their room..... Not simple. A tab can only be set up if you leave c.500kIDR cash at reception. A tab CANNOT be set up using a credit/debit card. More hassle than it's worth, especially as I was wanting to keep a hold of my cash and use my card in the first place.

The next day, we were woken by a telephone call at 9:30am asking "why we not come for breakfast? There is no breakfast left and it your own fault" I did not realise breakfast was MANDATORY? I found this very rude approach to take with guests. After being forced for breakfast, we walked to town for the day.

Again, on the evening we decided to eat at hotel mainly because we were low on cash and we knew we could use credit card. We ordered, and my wife's meal came out. Around 10minutes later so did mine... Stone cold. Clearly they had forgotten about it. I raised this with the waitress who had no idea what I was saying but said "she would go get somebody". I watched her and she just went and stood by her friends again. Nobody came. After 10minutes I took my dinner over to the bar and gave it to somebody and explained. They took it off me and said nothing, at this point I was confused as to what was happening. They eventually brought a warm meal which, to be fair, was nice.

The next day, we went to lie on the beach terrace area. They have around 12 rattan sunloungers, however only 4 mattresses between them. When we enquired about "any more mattress?" We were told "no, only four". seems a bit odd to not have so many. TIP: go to Karma Kayak nextdoor who have an identical set up complete with matresses. They don't mind if you buy some drinks

Im day three in my 6 day trip here, and can't wait to see what else unfolds in remain of trip.

The root cause here is clearly really badly trained and disorganised staff. The hotel would make more money if they just fired half of them as they don't do anything, or put them to better use cleaning pool area and keeping the place looking presentable. This had the potential to be a really good hotel with a bit of care and attention, as all the main facilities are here, it's just badly run. I would imagine, due to it being far away, it is lacked the attention of management by its sister hotel in Bali.

You only have to read the responses to previous reviews which indicates they don't really understand what people are telling them.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2017

I really love spending time in here, it is very rare to find a hotel with a peaceful environment. The staff is very friendly and helpful, they gave me a fruit compliment. Nice welcome drink, so fresh.
The room is clean and spacious although the smell of the water is not so nice. Probably it is the biggest problem for hotel by the sea.
They had a good food too, I ordered some pizza at night.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GM_JambuluwukOceano, General Manager at Jambuluwuk Oceano Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2017

Dear dionrafael33

Warm greeting from jambuluwuk oceano resort.
Thank you enjoyable with quiet place, a peaceful environment, the staff is very friendly and helpful, nice welcome drink, so fresh, good food.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

One of the better hotels on the island away from the hubbub of the south east coast. The size of the room was the biggest advantage. We had a great room size, with a huge sofa and king size bed. This is not a hotel I would lounge around outside my room in, but the space inside my room compensated. There is a rather tacky and odd choice of decor with life size sculptures of wild animals.

Not the cleanest of hotels - the linen and towels were often stained and the bath tub was also dirty. The furniture in our room broke twice so again not the most robust or high quality.

Besides this, the restaurant was good (but could improve on service because it gets very busy in the evenings). Breakfast is terrible - files everywhere, poor hygiene standards and awful choice for vegetarians. I saw the pancake maker drop a semi-solid pancake from the pan to the dirty table he was making the pancakes on...and then to my horror put it back on the pan.

The staff are the least competent hotel staff we have come across. Most couldn't speak conversational English which meant it was very hard to ask for simple things. Everyone seemed to think the first solution was to 'wait while I go ask my friend'. The reception staff were frankly lazy and disinterested in helping us or solving any of our problems. This led to major chaos when it came to our pickup and transfer to our next destination, with us having to lead the staff by the hand to make sure we got to the next stop via the right means. There was also the incident where one of their staff members at reception confirmed that we would be able to check out at 1pm, however we were asked the vacate the room at 11am - and the team refused to believe we were told otherwise by their own colleague!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the standalone rooms facing the sea