“Great hotel to stay at Gili, pick your room carefully! ”
Review of Hotel Vila Ombak

Hotel Vila Ombak
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Gili Trawangan
Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Came back to gili n decided to give the 2016 hotel of the year a chance! As a group of four people (two rooms) two of us managed to book their partner hotel (Vila Ombok sunset, same owner) spoke to the management who said they were not able to transfer our second booking to Vila Ombak which was a drawback of a first impression for us.

We choose one of their deluxe rooms which is a fair walk all the way back and in the end of the resort. The room 6213 was a nice, clean and spacious enough for us with a newer bathroom (quite huge n plenty of space) and a disent terrace with place for two person to sit. Aircon was a bit moody at start but they fixed it and it turned the room into a freezer very fast! Despite the long way walking back I think that building has the newest rooms n indoor bathrooms (for those who prefer that)

We decided to extent for a day and we were offered an upgrade for a smaller amount which we agreed to. On the plus side we moved very close to the pool which saves you a lot of walking. However this rooms which are more spacious are older n bathroom outdoor for the ones who find that fine it's not an issue.
One thing which could be nice to share is
That the toilet is build on a surface too short for putting down your feets, so you end up with half your feet hanging in the air. I d say the original price for theese rooms behind the pool area are harder to justify in my wiew.

The vilas are of higher price and as we didn't check them out it's hard to say what they are like.

Pool no one is close to the street, and with its imidiate wiew of the sea I d argue it's one of the best ones there are on this side of the island, and also popular amongst the guests!

Breakfast lounge is spacious, variety at the breakfast holds a good level with everything from fresh fruits to two chefs taking orders for your personalised omelette.
We loved our morning breakfast with the pool and seawiew!

The second manager (Rully) treated us good and much better than our first impression situation with the booking.
The rest of the staff at the premises also deserves credit, they acted fast n professionally throughout the stay.

It's a great hotel and probably one of the best on this side of the island and I d recommend those who want to stay close to the active side of the island to consider this place. I would stay in the newer building in the back rather than the rooms closer to reception as they are of a newer date.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Mada M, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Hi cruser123456,

It's great to read your comment about our hotel, the facilities, services etc. We are happy to know that we keep us the best in the island, however, we are sorry for any inconvenience and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,912)

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We generally had a good stay. Our villa was nice except the air conditioning was very weak making it difficult to sleep at night. The key situation was annoying. However the biggest issue came at the end when we went to check out. We had paid an initial 50% deposit when we booked online and then the other 50% when we checked in.

When I checked out they tried to tell me I hadn't paid the other 50% even though clearly I would not have been allowed to check in, per hotel policy, without paying my balance in full. We fought for 20 minutes while I dropped sweat, using my cellular data to bring up my credit card statement online. They condescendingly told me a lot of tourists forget to pay their balances thinking the deposit covers everything even though they don't let people check in without paying in full. Even after I showed them the charge on my phone, they didn't apologize and instead starting taking screenshots of my phone and insisting on getting an imprint of my credit card "just in case," which I refused. Really unpleasant, especially since they would have happily let me pay twice. I don't know whether it was a scam or just incompetent bookkeeping, but honestly either is unacceptable especially given how fancy the hotel is.

1  Thank Allison Z
Mada M, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Allison Z,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we do apologize for the inconvenience due to miscommunication regarding the deposit. We will work to ensure the same thing will ot happen to other customers.
However, we are looking forward to welcoming you back for a better stay, please contact us directly for a special offer.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

The location of the Villa is very strategic. The room is very big with complete with park and two of swimming pool. We can reach easier to the beach...the villa is infront of the beach. We can easier went to the bar, minimarket, restaurant, etc. The foods are good enough with many selection of menus. Best for honeymoon, family and also with friends..

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Mada M, General Manager at Hotel Vila Ombak, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear Novi N,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we are happy to know that you were enjoyed our facilities and services. We are looking forward to another memorable stay in our lovely Hotel Vila Ombak.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

Great location, right at the end of the busy strip of bars and shops but far enough away so it's not too noisy.
The grounds are beautiful and really well kept. Loved the fact there are plenty of outdoor chess boards and table tennis tables dotted around, really nice touch. We stayed at the hidden pool most days as it was a lot quieter than the main pool.
We stayed in one of the Lumburg huts, which was nice but slightly claustrophobic. The novelty soon wore off about the bathroom being outside and downstairs, especially if you needed the loo in the middle of the night!
The food was ok but we had a lot better on the island.
The service was very good, it was my partners birthday the day we arrived and they bought him a birthday cake to our room as a surprise, which was lovely!
Definitely would recommend hiring a bike from the hotel for the day and cycling around the island. Also the movie nights on the beach are fab!
Would stay here again but maybe in a different room.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear SR21,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we are happy to know that you were enjoyed time staying in our hotel, enjoyed the services and facilities. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed in a lumbung hut for 3 nights that was an experience in itself !!! The hut was cosy and had tv and fridge which was perfect but the bathroom was outside even the toilet which took a bit to get used to, there were 2 pools at the hotel and they offered afternoon tea every day which was nice and there was a bike hire in site and money exchange place. The hotel was very different to anything I had ever stayed in before but I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Jody M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we are happy to know that you were happy and enjoyed our facilities and services very much. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.