US$47
US$49
US$39
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Pelangi Cottages And Restaurant(Gili Air)(Great Value!)
US$90
Travelocity
  • Pool
US$76
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfire showscratch baroutdoor bathroomwest sidequiet sidegreat poolrooms are basichorse and cartdive shopthe air conditioningbeach barscuba divingother placesincluded breakfaststayed nightssun loungersbars and restaurants
Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

I have to agree with a previous post, I wish we could have checked out within 24 hours....not good value for money compared to other properties. When you view on website it looks luxurious....not!
Rooms very basic
No fridge
No safe...reception will look after valuables unless you have a premium room!
No TV, they say there is an Island issue, strange when other nearby properties have TV
No tea/coffee making facilities
Water in shower is just a dribble
Rooms so close together you can hear people sneeze....and everything else!
Told we have partial sea view, we overlook opposite rooms no sight of the sea
Service dreadful - 30 minutes we waited for desert and 10 minutes for milk for now cold coffee
The best part was getting away from this hotel and spending the day elsewhere.
It just doesn't provide what wee were expecting and compared to other nearby hotels/villas etc we didn't feel we were provided with value for money.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dugglie01
GiliErin, Owner at Grand Sunset Gili Air, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2016

Dear Lorna L,

You had every right in the world to check out upon your arrival. We are not in the business of holding guests hostage or making anyone feel uncomfortable. If you were not satisfied you could have simply told one of our many managers, or myself and we would have worked endlessly to find you alternate accommodation that was more suited to what you were looking for. We understand that although most people love to spend their days with us, be it by the swimming pool or on the beach, we can't please everyone so in that case, we make sure the guest is taken care of and moved elsewhere.

As for you waiting 30 minutes for your dessert, I've looked into the matter and from my understanding it was a classic case of misunderstanding as you ordered all three of your courses simultaneously, and your server was simply waiting for you to let him know you were ready for dessert. On a tiny little island like the Gilis, there is zero sense of urgency so he probably just didn't realize that your party was in a rush. We do sincerely apologize for this and wish it would have been brought to a managers attention at the time so it could have been comped for you. If there's one thing that we are constantly praised for, it's the level of service that we offer. We know we have some of the strongest service staff on the island so on this basis, I find it incredibly difficult to imagine that it was dreadful. Nevertheless, you weren't completely satisfied and perhaps we had an off night so it would have been great to be able to make it up to you.

Apologies for the no safe or tea/coffee making facilities in your room but in future, have a look on all the booking engines where all hotel/room amenities are clearly outlined and you'll be able to see exactly what the room you're booking has to offer.

We're glad you were able to take advantage of our transportation services to the neighbouring island. Wish you all the luck in your future travels.

Erin

Reviewed 6 July 2016

I keep coming back to Gili Air and this beautiful hotel. Grand Sunset is a beautiful place to while way a few days at the beach. While there are numerous lovely hotels on Gili Air, this one is special because of it's beautiful beach area. It is not located right in the jumble of hotels on the main strip of the island, which means it really is a true beach front property (as opposed to some of the other hotels that say they are on the beach, but it isn't really a place where you'd like to lay out in the sun). Grand Sunset's beachfront is stylish and clean with a variety of seating options ranging from sun loungers to comfy bean bags to tables and chairs as well as loungers at the pool. No matter where you sit, though, you have a stunning view of the sea and of Gili Meno.

Like others have mentioned, the rooms are simple, however when I come to the beach, I generally aim to spend most of my time outside anyway. While simple, they are comfortable and clean. The rooms are a tad dark--if I was going to recommend one tiny thing the hotel could do, it would be to work on the lighting situation in the rooms as it is sometimes hard to find things in your suitcase due to the dimness.

The restaurant (Scratch) is delicious. There are a variety of options so there is something for everyone. The service is good and the waiters are friendly.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank CarlaEliz83
Reviewed 5 July 2016

+ Very nice quiet location on the island. Next to dive school. Very good breakfast. clean pool. Nice staff.
- Rooms to expensive (for Gili Air) because they are simple. There is not one room with real sea view although they advertise with it! No waiter at the swim-up bar.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
GiliErin, Owner at Grand Sunset Gili Air, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2016

Dear Spoelle,

Thank you for leaving your review. Sorry that you felt we weren't quite up to par for what you were looking for. We're aware that the rooms are simple but for the fact that we offer a very clean, ocean-front setting complete with pillow top mattresses, flat screen televisions, wardrobe, dresser, air con and hot water, we don't feel that our prices are too over the top. Nevertheless though, you weren't happy and that in turn disappoints us as well. We've poured our heart and soul into building Grand Sunset and will not let these comments go un noticed. For that reason, as soon as high season subsides, we are renovating every one of our rooms to have a completely different and much more "chic" feel. They will finally offer the "wow factor" upon entering them.

I just want to clarify that the premium rooms at the back of the property, do in fact offer a sea view from the windows in the rooms, as well as the seating area outside of the rooms.

All the best to you in your future travels!

Erin & The Grand Sunset Team

Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

We stayed recently at the Grand Sunset resort and although originally booked for a 5 night stay, left after 2 nights. I felt it only fair to advise the management of the reasons for our departure, rather than just post on Trip Advisor, and have done so by email.

Firstly I would like to say that judging from Erin's replies to negative reviews on Trip Advisor, and from our brief conversation with Josh the other day at the resort, it is apparent that they both are working to improve the resort and that they put a lot of of effort into understanding what needs to be done. Unfortunately there were a few issues we experienced which others had also mentioned in their reviews, and it seems those had not been addressed.

It's a lovely spot they have, the restaurant is great and the pool area potentially very nice. A couple of comments on this area would be the lack of shade for sunbeds, and the sheer lack of availability of them due to guests from other resorts using them, meaning the paying guests often missed out. Maybe a priority use for paying guests could be considered.

The photos on their website and on trip advisor certainly portray a beautiful resort, however I feel this is misleading when it comes to the rooms. I have no issue with basic rooms if you pay basic prices, however at Rp 1,200,000 per night plus an additional Rp 250,000 for an extra bed for our 8 year old, (total Rp 1,450,000) I feel this is way over priced for what they offer. For that amount I would expect immaculate cleanliness and amenities in good operational order. In fact, we have inspected many other properties on the island and are staying in one at the same price now, which are considerably superior. Again, I'm not complaining about basic rooms, rather the prices they charge not reflecting what they offer.

As a comparison, we are paying the same amount now at the Turtle Beach Hotel, whose rooms are lovely individual sasak style huts with loads of Indonesian character, with large space inside, lovely bathroom, mosquito net, fan, king size bed and couch all in addition to the all the facilities you provide. They have a very clean pool with lots of sunbeds and shade.

When you book a room online from another country, you never quite know what you will get. It's always nice to arrive and find the resort is either as you expected or even nicer than expected. In this case, we were disappointed with the actual reality that greeted us when we arrived. I would think it's always best to create an expectation that accurately reflects the price you charge and the facility offered.

We do understand there are challenges when providing resort facilities on a remote island, however in our experience other resorts have managed to provide a far superior experience for a a comparable price. There are some things this resort could easily do to address these issues to make their small and basic rooms more comfortable. The first thing they could consider is charging a price that is reflective of what they offer. More like Rp 400,000 to 500,000 per night.

Some issues we experienced in room 15:
1. Air Conditioner leaked water onto the floor of the room. Although there was an outdoor mat inside the door to absorb the leak, it still was wet to walk on and smelt damp. Wet feet from walking on the soggy mat then led to slipping in the tile floor of the bedroom. Dangerous especially at night when paying visits to the bathroom. The handle of the bathroom door was always wet from the AC leak, so was constantly slippery.
2. The AC, whilst cold, was in fact way too cold even when turned to a warmer setting due to the location of it directly above the sleeping position on the bed. I understand this may well be a personal preference issue, rather than a fault, but worth mentioning as we were all alternating from freezing cold to boiling hot throughout the night as the temperature regulated itself. Moving the bed so that the bed head was against the bathroom wall would solve that if they saw it as an an issue needing to be addressed.
3. There was a constant smell of sewerage around the resort, particularly from the area where the shower is near reception and pool. Using the sunbeds on the pool deck was extremely unpleasant due to constant wafts of the nauseating smell. The smell was not as obvious from the beach/restaurant areas but we definitely did notice it there too. Most unpleasant while eating.
4. The sewerage smell was present in our bathroom whenever we ran the shower. You kindly sent an engineer to fix it however it not rectify the problem. The smell was extremely overpowering when using the shower, and could also be smelt in the bedroom with the bathroom door closed.
5. The shower drain was blocked so overflowed every time it was used.
6. The toilet seat is broken and moves whenever you sit on it.
7. The wash basin tap is hanging out of the wall loosely and is filthy dirty with mound.
8. The power point in the bathroom hangs out from the wall.
9. The stones between the pavers in the bathroom are green with mould.
10. The bedroom had a contact damp smell.
11. The sheets in our bed were quite badly stained.
12. The towels were stained and almost threadbare.
13. The bed is very small, only a double size. Most provide kings for comparable price.
14. The bedside lights were totally ineffective, you could not possibly read a book at night with those lights.
15. Although small, we felt the bedrooms could be better reflected of the price charged by adding ceiling fans, fridges, tissues and some sort of character. We felt like we were in a dorm room. We find them very soulless, and not at all fitting with the Indonesian feel of the island. I'm sorry to say we felt it depressing to be in that room.
16. The television didn't work, I understand that's a drop out issue for the island, but frustrating nonetheless.
17. The pool water was murky and given the rest of the resort didn't feel clean, we also felt the pool wasn't clean and therefore we were concerned for our daughter swimming in it.
18. The tables and cutlery in the Restaurant were greasy and not clean, and often we had paper napkins that were stained on our table.

We wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank MiettasMum

Dear MiettasMum,

Upon reading your review I must say, I'm deeply upset and sincerely wish that in lieu of emailing us, you could have asked to speak with me personally, as perhaps I could have rectified the situation at the time of your disappointment or at the very least, made you feel more comfortable in your unpleasant situation.

You are correct in your assumption that both Josh and myself work tirelessly to improve the hotel and have a very good understanding of each and everything that needs to be done. We work 7 days a week, 365 days per year so I must very respectfully disagree with you and state that each and every guest comment that has ever broached us, has been acknowledged and addressed. We do not take complaints lightly and do everything in our power to put them to rest immediately.

We currently feature 35 sun beds, 25 comfortable bean bags as well as two premium cabana loungers. This is approximately 80 comfortable seats for a hotel that has a capacity of 50 guests. We understand that not everyone may be keen on using a cozy beanbag to lounge about in during the day, but we simply don't have the space for 50 sun beds. I really do apologize that you found this frustrating.

I am not sure who implemented the policy of charging 250,000 per extra bed and I can assure you this was a major oversight on my behalf as I have retired from reservations. If you email us directly we would be happy to refund you this additional cost.

As per your comment that we falsely advertise our property, the management photos on both our website and trip advisor, were taken before we had many of the additional features we now have in our rooms and the grounds. We offer exactly what we advertise and never once have we tried to portray ourselves as something we are not. Based on all of the 5-star reviews that surround your review, I feel that your very negative experience may have been an isolated incident. Our photos are not in any way misleading and in fact, under represent what we offer. Please bear in mind that we advertise as a 3 star accommodation.

Throughout most of the year, our price is in the 650,000 range but unfortunately, you were visiting during high season where the prices are inflated all throughout the three islands and also booked on a booking engine. If I can make a suggestion to you, in future always message the hotel directly to receive the best deals and prices. We're glad you enjoyed the lumbung style that your alternate accommodation offered you and that they had the amenities that were more suited to what you were searching for. We charge the same as they do and additionally have a large beachfront, that they do not. So for this reason, it's justified.

We have taken everything you've said into account and are extremely glad to announce that as of October 1st we will begin completely renovating all of our rooms so that they may offer the "wow factor" upon entering.

I have poured my heart and soul into this business to ensure that each and every guest who visits has the best and most memorable experience in our tiny little paradise. I'm so disappointed that I personally could not have dealt with your complaints in person so we could discuss this further.

All the best to you and I wish you nothing but luck and happiness in your future travels,

Erin

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

We have been to grand sunset for 5 days and the location and amneties are perfect. You get a 10% discount at the diving school inside the hotel as well a great view of the sunset :)
The rooms look a little bit old and dark for the price, but you won't spend a lot of time there anyway.
Also watch out there is a babykitten at the hotel ground. Cuteness alarm!
Would stay there again!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Hello Max K!

Thanks so much for your review. You'll be happy to know baby Kiki is growing ferociously and becoming cuter and cuter every day. We didn't think it was possible! She does make a great hotel mascot though. Happy you had the opportunity to take advantage of the diving here in the Gilis. As for the rooms, as soon as we have a low season, we have the plans and designs in place to renovate each of the rooms. It should be starting in late September/ early October when we aren't so crazy busy. We're so looking forward to that because we're well aware that although they're comfortable, they all need a face lift. They're definitely going to become much more chic.

Thanks again for taking time out of your day to leave your thoughts.

All the best,