“Phenomneal Michllelin star restaurant”
Review of Don Alfonso 1890

Don Alfonso 1890
Ranked #91 of 790 Restaurants in Macau
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2016

Very authentic Italian restaurant. Sister restaurant of the original one on the Amalfi Coast. Most extensive wine list I have ever seen. Sommelier was extremely helpful. Highly recommend the tasting menu, which lasts about 2 hours but is a great experience. Service is great but be aware décor is a bit odd with old style Italian mixed with local Chinese chandeliers.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

Reserved for lunch over their booking system and it was easy. Got set lunches ranging from 2 to 4 courses, with good variety offered. Food was served beautifully and service was excellent. Staff explained every dishes and was patient. Food was authentic and very tasty. Good ambiance and nice setting, with comfy seats and adequate privacy.

Reviewed 16 April 2016

I came here to dine as Don Alfonso is the Highest Michelin Starred Chef in the Southern Italy, they offer a two course lunch for $330 and a three course lunch for $430. I like the atmosphere here as it is comfortable and warm. The staff were attentive and professional. The food here was fine and yummy, I like the peas soup, the ravioli and the braised beef cheek. The desserts and coffee were good, surprisingly, they offered us to taste the sweets and chocolate unlimited. What a sweet lunch?

Reviewed 23 February 2016

Truly the best Italian restaurant we have ever eaten. Service is great . The chef also likes to prepare dishes which are not on the menu. He made a great vitello tonato for us. Extensive wine list, all restaurants in the Lisboa Hotel share the same wine list. The veal tonnato as a starter was really great. Thank you for the great evening.

1  Thank BartBloem
Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

We booked the Don Alfonso for a birthday celebration, and to be honest, we wished we hadn't. There are far, far better Italian restaurants to eat at in Macao than this one.

As mentioned, a table was booked and the communication from the restaurant was excellent, which we thought augured well for the meal ahead. In two emails from them, it was stressed that there was a dress code, smart casual with collared shirts. I have no issue with this as I hoped that by requiring the guests to dress reasonably well, the dining experience would be one to match. Appropriately for a birthday celebration, we dressed a little smarter: I wished we hadn't bothered. The dress code was jeans and sweatshirts for many of the guests - that is not smart casual in my book.

So we were on a downward spiral from there. The complementary appetizer was uninspiring: tiny fried shrimps on a polenta bed, which looked very average and tasted little better. The starters were ok: the eggplant with mozzarella was tasty, as was the eel and spinach. However, the soups were awful: the tomato soup tasted like a tin of Heinz cream of tomato soup. It's colour was unusual and it tasted straight from a tin - I'm sure it wasn't, but if the aim was to replicate Heinz, it was done perfectly. My mushroom soup was a little better, but considering the number of different mushrooms in the soup, the taste was bland.

For main courses, my wife had the spaghetti with tomato. At least this time, the tomato looked and tasted like tomato but it was nonetheless, very average. Alas, it was better than my risotto with black truffles and Parmesan. When the plate arrived, the risotto was hidden under a generous amount of sliced black truffle. Any concern that I had that the amount of truffle would dominate and drown out the risotto soon vanished: it was tasteless. It was like eating small thin slices of black edible paper. The normal pungent smell of truffle was completely missing: thoroughly disappointing.

The above had put my wife off choosing a desert, but I decided to go full hog and see if there was an improvement. The lemon soufflé was, quite nice; light and airy with a delicate citrus taste, a quite easily the best dish we had been served. Trying hard, the restaurant presented a complementary birthday tiramisu. This was a nice touch, but the coffee was far too dominant and spoiled a reasonably good cream.

What was most confusing however, was that the service throughout was excellent, and far exceeded the quality of the food in every respect. For the service alone, I have increased my grading to 2 stars, because, quite frankly, the meal by itself was worth only one. For this price, I expect much better. I don't mind paying good money for good food, but I have had significantly better in Macao for significantly less.

Mention has been made of the extensive wine list. If one is to survey it in its entirety, it would take a couple of days, it is nearly 600 pages long. It is ridiculously and unnecessarily large with huge mark ups on wines that the restaurant appears to feel justified in doing owing to its Italian connection.

Planing a good Italian meal in Macao? Go somewhere else. The only thing Don Alfonso has got going for it is its service and that by itself is not worth the premium price.

1  Thank Tim S