All reviews traditional sri lankan elephant safari homestay fridge hammocks hosts cottage spa garden birds
Reviewed 17 May 2018

This place is a family run Resort owned by Ruwan. It is about 1 km from the Habarana junction. They have 4 different room times. We stayed at the superior chalet. I have shared the pictures of our room. It was very big for just the 2 of us and was truly value for money and a bargain. The room had its own coffee maker, Fridge and a mini Jacuzzi / pool with ice cool water. perfect to get into it and relax after going for a safari in the terrible heat. They give rooms on room only, BB or HB but they don't serve lunch.
The garden was full of various birds so if you are a bird lover then you will like this place. They also have 2 hammocks in the shade, ideal to read a book and relax in. The best thing I love about this place is they serve traditional Sri Lankan food which is rare to find as most hotels serve western buffet consisting of pre-heated foot. Also at Amba Sevena they serve generous / large portions of food when you order meals unlike most places I visit which are stingy and serve only a little. So, things I love here is the food, the friendly service, the rooms and the garden.
Also if you are interested in a safari then Minneriya park and Kaudulla park is about 20 min drive and Sigiriya is around 25 min drive. If you talk to Ruwan he can organize a safari at a good rate as most people outside try to rip you off charging a high price. Check out my review of Kaudulla and Minneriya which I have posted separately.

Room Tip: Book the superior Chalet. You will love it!!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evarts123
Reviewed 22 April 2018

We stayed here early April and I cannot thank Ruwan enough for making our trip so memorable. The Superior king suite that we stayed was more than comfortable for our family with 2 kids. The half open bathroom and well furnished, and tastefully decorated rooms, along with a lovely patio, were unique. The rooms are set inside dense vegetation and it was lovely to wake up to the chitter of birds/insects every morning. The family was very welcoming and made us feel at home. I had requested for co-ordinating some of our trips around habarana and Ruwan did a fantastic job of this. Right from co-ordinating our pickup from Negomba and organizing our trips to Dambulla, Polonnaruva and the safari, it was very well planned and I could not have asked for more. Sugath who was our driver for most of our trip was also knowledgeable and friendly, taking us to all the good restaurants near the places we visited. The breakfast and dinners at the resort were very sumptuous and huge and we had some of our best dishes here (in our whole trip). Ruwan even arranged for a fishing trip nearby for my son who wanted to experience fishing. I could not thank the gentleman who took us on this trip enough, for bringing those smiles on the kids (and for the lovely necklace he made out of the water lily for my daughter). The trips were all efficiently managed and the expense turned out to be very nominal and the experience surely outweighed it. We stayed at some of the 5 star resorts during our trip but this one was unique and Ruwan's hospitality made a huge difference.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here during our stay in Sri Lanka and was definitely one of our favourite places to stay. It served as a central base for trips to Sigiriya Rock, Dambulla Cave Temples and Polonnaruwa. Ruwan, along with his family were the most helpful and welcoming of hosts. He helped us arrange all of our day trips and even arranged an afternoon Elephant safari for when we first arrived (something we hadn’t even considered but thoroughly enjoyed).

Breakfast was very nice and home cooked by Ruwan’s sister and we opted to eat the authentic Sri Lankan food every evening since it was so delicious (costing $5 per night).

Rooms are extremely comfortable and clean with great air conditioning. The gardens were beautiful and well kept. Couldn’t recommended this place enough.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We took a car from Colombo right to the door of this lovely family run place. We’re a family of 4, our room was huge with lovely outdoor shower & fridge, no tv, but hammocks under the trees, anyhow who needs it when you are in such pretty surroundings. For a reasonable price our hosts organised elephant safari and tuk tuk next day to bus stop with no hassles. Breakfast was truly amazing, sooooo much and delicious. Do yourself a favour and take time out to stay here.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We had a chalet with outside shower and spa in the backyard. This was a great surprise for us. The room was big enough to host our family (with my wife and our 2 kids). Good variety of dishes served for breakfast and dinner (slight change from one day to the other). Warm welcome and thoughtful service. We recommend!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family